Chevy...Please sign Wheeler to Extension before Camp!

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Yeah, and in addition to Roslovic & Niku, just think for a second if Connor puts up 70+ points and then Vesalainen makes a strong breakout season...

Though Vesalainen is still completely unproven.

Let's say all these 4 break out big time, and I don't think that you can keep any of Perreault, Wheeler and Myers. Though if myers accepts a significant paycut, he can be a steal.

Myers at 3x3mil would be great.

Reactions: Halberdier

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
You're probably right. I think that he'll be looking for something around $40 million or more for the remainder of his career, but the risk starts to rise quickly now for him that his production and health could make him much less attractive in a few years. Betting on yourself at 24 or 25 is much different than betting on yourself at 36 or 37, even for a well-conditioned athlete like Wheeler.

I think in the past I've suggested something in the $40-45M zone on a long-term deal. But for the Jets it would be better to spread that over 7 years than 5 years. By next season the Jets will have a good portion of their core locked up, so I think that as long as they are able to manage their cap room in the next 2-3 years, managing Wheeler's contract in the longer term will become less of an issue because they won't have as many players to find space for. If the Jets could get Wheeler signed for $7.0M or less and it takes a 6 year deal, then that's probably better than $8M + on a shorter deal.
I do like the idea of Wheeler having a career earning number as a target. For argument sake let's say it is $40 M. On the open market he easily get's this over a 5 year deal assuming he doesn't fall off a cliff this season (5 X $8 M). Continuing with the argument he is willing to give the Jets a cap hit discount to help ensure he plays out his career on a serious contender. IMO 7 or 8 years is asking too much, but maybe he is willing to spread it over 6 years with generous lockout and buyout protection. So let's say 6 X $6.667. I'd jump on this in a second.

Reactions: Whileee

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I do like the idea of Wheeler having a career earning number as a target. For argument sake let's say it is $40 M. On the open market he easily get's this over a 5 year deal assuming he doesn't fall off a cliff this season (5 X $8 M). Continuing with the argument he is willing to give the Jets a cap hit discount to help ensure he plays out his career on a serious contender. IMO 7 or 8 years is asking too much, but maybe he is willing to spread it over 6 years with generous lockout and buyout protection. So let's say 6 X $6.667. I'd jump on this in a second.

6 years is too long. 6.667 for a guy who should be retired, or even a 3rd liner over the last 3 years is crippling.

I don't like the idea of reducing the AAV by spreading it out. Not even a little bit. It is term that is the worry. If he was 26 we'd be talking 8 years, no problem. Age is the issue.

4 years is already at least 1 too many. I'd go 4x7.5. If that doesn't get it done, then let some other team cripple themselves with a big contract. Don't forget that 4 years is 5 from now.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
6 years is too long. 6.667 for a guy who should be retired, or even a 3rd liner over the last 3 years is crippling.

I don't like the idea of reducing the AAV by spreading it out. Not even a little bit. It is term that is the worry. If he was 26 we'd be talking 8 years, no problem. Age is the issue.

4 years is already at least 1 too many. I'd go 4x7.5. If that doesn't get it done, then let some other team cripple themselves with a big contract. Don't forget that 4 years is 5 from now.
I don't necessarily disagree with you Mort. It was more along the lines of a discussion with Whileee on what might be possible if you stretched out term to reduce AAV. I can see the arguments either way. My guess is that Wheeler will want to get paid now even if on a shorter term and take his chances he still is a contributing player afterwards. 4 X 7.5M seems like a pretty likely number.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Not a chance Wheeler signs for anything close to 4x7.5m. He's probably looking at a contract like Kesler, who signed until his 38 year old season at around $6.8m AAV. The equivalent contract term for Wheeler would be 6 years, with the last year when he's 38.

Giving up Wheeler for free after this season would create a big whole in the Jets lineup at a time when they are in the middle of a cup contending window.

Chevy has some tough decisions ahead.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't necessarily disagree with you Mort. It was more along the lines of a discussion with Whileee on what might be possible if you stretched out term to reduce AAV. I can see the arguments either way. My guess is that Wheeler will want to get paid now even if on a shorter term and take his chances he still is a contributing player afterwards. 4 X 7.5M seems like a pretty likely number.
I'd be all over a 4x7.5 deal for Wheeler. Unfortunately, I have doubts that would get it done.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I get the concept of spreading it out further. After thinking about it, I just disagree.

Considering the effect of PP on his scoring last year, 4x7.5 is already quite an overpay. It is paying him well for his intangibles. There is still the hope that he can still play after that contract. 1 year at a time, at an appropriate AAV.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not a chance Wheeler signs for anything close to 4x7.5m. He's probably looking at a contract like Kesler, who signed until his 38 year old season at around $6.8m AAV. The equivalent contract term for Wheeler would be 6 years, with the last year when he's 38.

Giving up Wheeler for free after this season would create a big whole in the Jets lineup at a time when they are in the middle of a cup contending window.

Chevy has some tough decisions ahead.

I wouldn't go more than 4 years - with a gun to my head. If that isn't enough then we have to move on.

Chevy has some very tough decisions. Glad it is him and not me.:)

Reactions: upperdeckjet

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I get the concept of spreading it out further. After thinking about it, I just disagree.

Considering the effect of PP on his scoring last year, 4x7.5 is already quite an overpay. It is paying him well for his intangibles. There is still the hope that he can still play after that contract. 1 year at a time, at an appropriate AAV.
I think close to 100% of HF Jets would happily take 4 X $7.5 M for Wheeler.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
I would only sign Wheeler to convert the asset (trade him shortly after). We're still elite at the wing position without him. That money needs to go to a C or Dman.

Last edited:

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Best plan might be to just let him walk. It keeps him for this season as a Cup run, and helps manage the cap after the season. I wish it was Little and not Wheeler in that situaion, but Chevy made that bad decision so we just need to live with it and move on.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Best plan might be to just let him walk. It keeps him for this season as a Cup run, and helps manage the cap after the season. I wish it was Little and not Wheeler in that situaion, but Chevy made that bad decision so we just need to live with it and move on.

I've said this before, but I will say it again. It would be very wise to sign Wheeler, and give him what he wants at the end of next season. I know things will be lean, considering we also have to sign Connor and Laine, but Wheeler is not expendable. He has been our best player since the franchise moved from Atlanta, has not slowed down with age, and likely will not slow down until well into his 30s. With the exception of Scheifele and Laine, it is debatable whether any of our forwards will achieve the success that Wheeler has had in the last decade.

For the 2019 off season, Trouba is going to be gone. That will free up cap space to sign Laine and Connor. The Jets will not get to keep all our young guns. Parting with someone like Ehlers, Little, or Perreault may be necessary. Ehlers, in particular, would offer a massive return. My guess is the Jets will re-sign Wheeler, considering all that he has done for the organization. Hypothetically, if we were to trade Trouba and a top 6 forward, my guess is the Jets will get high draft picks and prospects out of the deal.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I've said this before, but I will say it again. It would be very wise to sign Wheeler, and give him what he wants at the end of next season. I know things will be lean, considering we also have to sign Connor and Laine, but Wheeler is not expendable. He has been our best player since the franchise moved from Atlanta, has not slowed down with age, and likely will not slow down until well into his 30s. With the exception of Scheifele and Laine, it is debatable whether any of our forwards will achieve the success that Wheeler has had in the last decade.

For the 2019 off season, Trouba is going to be gone. That will free up cap space to sign Laine and Connor. The Jets will not get to keep all our young guns. Parting with someone like Ehlers, Little, or Perreault may be necessary. Ehlers, in particular, would offer a massive return. My guess is the Jets will re-sign Wheeler, considering all that he has done for the organization. Hypothetically, if we were to trade Trouba and a top 6 forward, my guess is the Jets will get high draft picks and prospects out of the deal.

I don't care what he did in the last decade. I care about what he will do in the next (half) decade.

Perreault is not a 'young gun'. He would be the first to go if we keep Wheeler.

Losing Ehlers to keep Wheeler would be nuts.

If Trouba is moved after this season there is probably room for a few years of Wheeler.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Can't see Wheeler signing a contract for less than 5 years in length, and between 7-8 million especially if he has another good season, unfortunately that might not jive with what the Jets are willing to hand out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad