Chevy...Please sign Wheeler to Extension before Camp!

The Big M

Dec 29, 2017
I'm surprised that some people feel we may give up Wheeler to keep our young guys. I disagree.
Why can't we keep more of our stars?
Here is my response in another thread
I would prefer we give up Perreault. Also we have some young defencemen that could take over. We could let Kulikov and Myers go.
We have some potential replacements coming up: Poolman, Niku, Samburg, even Stanley some day.
That means we would go younger and cheaper on defence and keep our offensive stars.
Wheeler is our captain and one of the best wingers in the world. I would like to keep him too.
Make it work Chevy! Sign him to an extension before training camp!
Do you think he will? Make it a priority!!​

Runforthecup

Sponsor
Nov 10, 2013
Calgary, CW Bay
Do you know all the moving pieces? Do you know what everyone is asking? Do you Know what other teams might be willing to pay now or at the trade deadline? I trust in Chevy much more than posters on these boards. At least he knows what the moving pieces are. I want Wheeler extended but it has to fit in with all the other moving pieces,

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Its going to be very interesting. If Wheeler wants to test free agency, does he get moved this year?

I think it's doubtful "Wheeler wants to test free agency". He's the captain of a valid Stanley Cup contender. He signed a lengthy contract back in 2013.

It's more a matter of whether the Jets contract offer comes close to what Wheeler thinks he can make on the open market, and to what extent Wheeler is willing to sign a "home town discount". It's a much more complicated question.

The Big M

Dec 29, 2017
Do you know all the moving pieces? Do you know what everyone is asking? Do you Know what other teams might be willing to pay now or at the trade deadline? I trust in Chevy much more than posters on these boards. At least he knows what the moving pieces are. I want Wheeler extended but it has to fit in with all the other moving pieces,
That's what surprises me.
There has been a lot of speculation on the board and talk on different media about Morrissey's contract.
Not so much re Wheeler.

The Big M

Dec 29, 2017
I think it's doubtful "Wheeler wants to test free agency". He's the captain of a valid Stanley Cup contender. He signed a lengthy contract back in 2013.

It's more a matter of whether the Jets contract offer comes close to what Wheeler thinks he can make on the open market, and to what extent Wheeler is willing to sign a "home town discount". It's a much more complicated question.
I agree with your thoughts but there are things that bother me.
It reminds a bit of what happened recently with Stastny.
He would have looked real good this year as our 2nd C.
So what happened?
I'm guessing Chevy offered about 5.5 million a year and Stastny went with a higher offer.

The other situation that it reminds me of is Tavares. I'm actually a little unimpressed with Tavares. Here's my thoughts.
It seems to me that Tavares let the Islanders think that he was willing to sign with them when really he always wanted to go to his dream team the Leafs.
Why? If the Islanders suspected he wouldn't sign with them they would have traded him for some assets and he wouldn't get to pick his first choice.

While I'm concerned I think the Wheeler situation is different. First Chevy and Maurice would obviously love to keep their captain for a few more years.
Chevy at the very least will give a higher priority to the Wheeler signing than the Stastny signing.....I hope.
And the other difference? Wheeler is a heart and soul kind of guy. He has invested in himself to give his all for the team and the community.
Wheeler at the very least will want his agent to try to work out a contract that could work for him and the Jets....I hope.

Last edited:

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
For me, there are alot of question marks. Are you willing to part with Ehlers or Connor in order to keep Wheeler? There is no way we keep Wheeler without moving someone with a 5 or 6 mil contract at forward and still have Laine. Wheeler is going to cost what? 8-9 mil. Even if you bridge Connor and Morrissey, And you think at some point Buff is moved because of age before his contract ends. I just don't see how the numbers fit. At some point people need to get paid or moved.

I am not questioning what he does for the team. Just questioning how you plan on keeping everyone.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
For me, there are alot of question marks. Are you willing to part with Ehlers or Connor in order to keep Wheeler? There is no way we keep Wheeler without moving someone with a 5 or 6 mil contract at forward and still have Laine. Wheeler is going to cost what? 8-9 mil. Even if you bridge Connor and Morrissey, And you think at some point Buff is moved because of age before his contract ends. I just don't see how the numbers fit. At some point people need to get paid or moved.

I am not questioning what he does for the team. Just questioning how you plan on keeping everyone.

8-9 million for Wheeler would be massive overpayment.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
There is no need for hurry with Wheeler, really. He is kind of late boomer, just finishes a career season. But he is also 32-year-old next week, and there is no doubt that some kind of decline is inevitable. How soon, no-one knows, but one thing is for sure: his contract value has never been bigger than after 91 + 21 = 112 points he made last season.

During his full seasons with the Jets he has made 64, 69, 61+1, 78 and 74 points.

It's wise to not sign him immediately after that 91/112 points contract booster season, but to wait for the next summer.

It depends from his deployment, but if he doesn't play regularly with Scheifele and/or Laine (at least PP), I don't think he hits 90 points next season. More likely ~70-75, and that makes much more cap space for the Jets than signing him now.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I too would prefer us to let Perreault, Kulikov, and Myers go over Wheeler.

I'm just not sure letting Perreault, Kulikov, and Myers go means we are in a position to re-sign Wheeler.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
What would be reasonable for Wheeler?

$30 million over 4 years?

I think if it’s any more, either dollars or term, it’s not a great deal for the Jets. Wheeler could likely get more in FA, if he puts up another year like last year.

If Wheeler is not re-signed early this year, his contract could become a distraction like Ladd and Buff before him. This can’t wait until the TD, imo.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I would find it really really weird if Wheeler didn't sign a reasonable extension with the Jets

Maybe.. but I won't be at all surprised if he plays the market.

After the season Wheels just had, and if he can repeat it, he will never be in a position to maximize his earning potential like this again.

What needs to be seen if where he falls. Is potential winning >< money??

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
Wheeler has earned his money. He is currently one of the premier RW in the league and as such he deserves to get paid. To get it done I don't think the Jets can afford a salary over 8 per year for a shorter 3 or 4 year contract, but perhaps a lower average annual value over a longer term with bigger signing bonuses each year would be a way to make it work, perhaps in the region of 6 to 6.25 over 6, or 5.5 over 7 years. The last few years on the contract may be in declining years of production for Wheeler, but it's a bit of a loyalty reward for being such an integral part of the build in Winnipeg.

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Wheeler has earned his money. He is currently one of the premier RW in the league and as such he deserves to get paid. To get it done I don't think the Jets can afford a salary over 8 per year for a shorter 3 or 4 year contract, but perhaps a lower average annual value over a longer term with bigger signing bonuses each year would be a way to make it work, perhaps in the region of 6 to 6.25 over 6, or 5.5 over 7 years. The last few years on the contract may be in declining years of production for Wheeler, but it's a bit of a loyalty reward for being such an integral part of the build in Winnipeg.

I love Wheeler and what he has done and will do for the Jets, but from a business and success standpoint, it's going to be difficult to build in a loyalty reward. Although I think if any organization were to do it, the Jets would find a way.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
As painful as it is, if its a matter of keeping Wheeler or both Ehlers and Conner/Roslo, then I'd have to go with the young guys.
Throw Scheif the C, and start planning the celebration for when Wheeler first visits the Peg.
Not that Wheeler is showing major signs of decline/injury, but we have to realize that we will be paying a premium for likely several declining years, at the cost of possibly losing productive futures for our young guys.
Besides, Wheeler could probably net a good return.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
As painful as it is, if its a matter of keeping Wheeler or both Ehlers and Conner/Roslo, then I'd have to go with the young guys.
Throw Scheif the C, and start planning the celebration for when Wheeler first visits the Peg.
Not that Wheeler is showing major signs of decline/injury, but we have to realize that we will be paying a premium for likely several declining years, at the cost of possibly losing productive futures for our young guys.
Besides, Wheeler could probably net a good return.

History tells us that it pays to stay ahead of the curve, yet few teams have the vision or intestinal fortitude to do it.

I agree with you.

Reactions: Bigfish and Stej

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
The Jets will have to part ways with somebody (likely more than one somebody) to afford the rest fo the group.

My assumption is that Trouba will need to be traded, as he will not sign a long term extension in Winnipeg. I may be wrong, but I would say it's 85-15 in favour of him being dealt.

I'm just not sure that is enough cap space. Trouba leaving gets you $5 million...Myers gets you another $5.5 mil...Chariot is $1.4 mil. If you want to let Kulikov go, that gets you one season at $4.3, but somebody has to fill those three D-spots.

Laine might be $8 million, Morrissey at $5+, Wheeler will easily be $6+ (more if he wants to push it), and you just had Connor score 30 as a rookie. If he goes for 35 this year, he could be another $5-6 million. And you still have to sign Roslovic the year after that. If he is your 2C at that point, he is not making less than $5 million either (and likely more).

Someone in that previous paragraph will need to go, even if everyone in the paragraph before does as well. The only good news is that the return for any of them (outside of Chariot and Kulikov) should be tremendous. Heck, even a solid third pairing D-man can get a second rounder and a B-prospect.

In order to remain competitive, the Jets will need to keep high quality ELC players coming onto the roster on a regular basis. That means finding ways to add first round picks or top flight prospects every year.

Count me among those who also believe that winning in the NHL will a player making $10 million is exceedingly hard. Rounding out a roster with one (or certainly two) such players is extreemly hard. Chicago hasn't been able to do it. I don't see Edmonton getting it done with McD and Drai making $20 million. Toronto needs to win this year with Matthews still on his ELC, because they will have to shed talent to sign him, the two other youngsters and keep Tavares.

I could write a whole post on why it might be Laine that makes the most sense to trade, but I'll just toss in that grenade and quietly walk away ;)

The Fist

Fist full of dollars
Feb 9, 2014
Winnipeg
My view on this is that we may ultimately have to let Wheeler go, either by walking at the end or a trade. I can't recall where I heard this articulated but I do recall the plan for success for the Jets was going to be excellent drafting to maintain a prospect flow pipeline and to operate our NHL club within the realm of reason and be good enough to continually be a threat in the playoffs, and that when called for ownership would spend to the cap to remain ultra competitive, which I think is the position we're in now.

We've built a highly competitive core now, it's what Wheeler wanted; if he cares more about winning and less about salary then we should be able to fit him in with minimal losses elsewhere, but that was the same kind of wishful thinking when we got Statsney, that he's already made his money now he wants cups...well, that certainly came to pass didn't it?

Laine falling into our laps changed the landscape for Chevy a lot I suspect, I see him being given the Selanne mantle of greatness in this city, no way do we do that which cannot be named from 1995, no chance, given the money he will likely command it's all but certain our older core players will be traded for a mix of serviceable players and high end picks or prospects to maintain our flow of players for the future, that's the blue print for our success. Keeping Wheeler is going to come down to two things, what can we live without and what is loyalty worth to both the player and organization.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think there's a big risk signing a contract that kicks in when Wheeler turns 33, especially with him coming off a career year for points (the big part of that being PP points). Unless Wheeler is offering a big home-town discount right now, I don't think there's a big risk in waiting until January to start talking contract extension with him.

upload_2018-8-24_10-5-30.png

upload_2018-8-24_10-5-56.png

Reactions: Bastage and Bigfish

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Found this interesting, Joe Thornton has been signing 3 year deals since 27 years old up until this past off-season.

in 2010 he signed a deal at 31 for 3yearsx7M. He was coming three straight PPG years of 96, 86 and 89 pts. Was 11.78% of cap

in 2014 at age 34, he signed a 3x6.75M deal (9.78% of cap), and was coming off years of 77, 40 (lockout - 68pt pace), and 76. He is the only guy I could find around Wheeler's age that had any semblance of his production in the years leading up to his deal.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
The dilema with Wheeler is, his position as a winger is that Jets biggest strength.
And your up and coming franchise player is a rw also.

That will be very hard to sign 2rw at more than 7M each.

Plus you have your top 2 lw at 6M each.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad