Chevy...Please sign Wheeler to Extension before Camp!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's worked out nicely with Dustin Byfuglien so far...

This post is now 4 days old so someone has already probably pointed this out to you, but I don't want to have to read the whole rest of the thread. Buff is now the same age as Wheeler will be when his next contract starts. He is 2 years into his 5 year contract. 3 years left. I repeat, he is now the age Wheeler will be when his next contract starts.

You are not helping your argument with this comment.

Reactions: Jack722

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
This post is now 4 days old so someone has already probably pointed this out to you, but I don't want to have to read the whole rest of the thread. Buff is now the same age as Wheeler will be when his next contract starts. He is 2 years into his 5 year contract. 3 years left. I repeat, he is now the age Wheeler will be when his next contract starts.

You are not helping your argument with this comment.

Wheeler will be a whopping 18 months older the Byfuglien if he signs an extension with the Jets. There is no need to be condescending.

Having said that, I noticed you joined in June 2014. You post nearly 18 times a day. Considering the average human being sleeps an average of eight hours per day, you post over once per hour for the last 51 months. I urge you to get out, and enjoy yourself. Go see the Forks. Take a trip to the beach. Volunteer at a homeless shelter. You will feel better about yourself. I am worried about you.

If you need someone to talk to about anything, just PM me. I'm all ears, brother.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wheeler will be a whopping 18 months older the Byfuglien if he signs an extension with the Jets. There is no need to be condescending.

Having said that, I noticed you joined in June 2014. You post nearly 18 times a day. Considering the average human being sleeps an average of eight hours per day, you post over once per hour for the last 51 months. I urge you to get out, and enjoy yourself. Go see the Forks. Take a trip to the beach. Volunteer at a homeless shelter. You will feel better about yourself. I am worried about you.

If you need someone to talk to about anything, just PM me. I'm all ears, brother.

Its 19 mos. That is pretty significant in this context. It rounds up to 2 seasons difference.

This debate has gone on at great length. IMO, you are rather stubbornly ignoring or denying certain realities. Bringing up Buff's contract makes the argument against yours, rather than reinforcing your argument.

You have a point that players who are better at their peaks also tend to have longer careers. You ignore that it is still relatively rare for players to continue to perform at a high level into their later 30's. Or more accurately, you deny it. You cherry picked a few who continue to play well while ignoring all those who do not.

I'm pretty sure that you would get a lot of agreement if you were arguing that we should treat Wheeler the same way we treated Buff. That is, pay him until he is 36. Then re-evaluate from there.

Don't worry about me brother. I frequently post 10 or more times in 1 hour, then take several off. Cheers. :)

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I don't think he will get better in the future, but I do not expect him to recede the way Ladd has.

Having said that I have an announcement for this forum. I just landed a job that I have been trying to get for two years. I am so happy, and want to thank you all for sharing your love for the Jets with me. If someone has not reminded you today, you are all great people, and you are all capable of doing great and amazing things.

Even though I can come across as a prick at times, I hope the best for all of you. Today was such a great day for me. Everyone have a great week!

Congrats on the job. What field?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I believe all reasonable rumours are true until proven false. And it has been rumoured that Wheeler plans to hit the UFA market. If that's the case, the Jets won't be in the picture. He will get stupid money and term from someone else on July 1st, and laugh all the way to the bank. It's my hope that Chevy will realize this sooner than later, and trade Wheeler for at least something, even if just a pick and a prospect. I just don't see this as the Cup winning season that would justify hanging onto him and letting him walk for nothing. They didn't have the horses last year, and I've seen nothing that suggests they have appreciably improved this off season.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Jets are definitely a top Cup contender this season. These opportunities don't come that often. Go for it now.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
The Jets are definitely a top Cup contender this season. These opportunities don't come that often. Go for it now.

Asset management be damned? We're on the verge of losing Wheeler & Myers for nothing, forced to sell Trouba for cents on the dollar. All within a year's time.
That's a lot of hits to take. A major setback now would cut into Scheifele's prime and the limited remainder of Byfuglien's career.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Asset management be damned? We're on the verge of losing Wheeler & Myers for nothing, forced to sell Trouba for cents on the dollar. All within a year's time.
That's a lot of hits to take. A major setback now would cut into Scheifele's prime and the limited remainder of Byfuglien's career.

I am just curious why you think Trouba would fetch such a poor return, especially considering the interest would be sky high?

Reactions: Whileee

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If the Jets like let Wheeler and Myers walk and trade Trouba for a package of futures they would have masses of cap space to go UFA hunting.

Some options?

How about bringing Mark Stone home? He'd slot in nicely at 2RW.

Duchene?
Skinner?
Brassard?

On D...

Stralman is a very good shutdown RD to pair with Niku or Morrissey for a few years.

Gardiner would be a step up from Myers.

Go to dreamland and imagine Karlsson...

Cap space is really valuable, especially for a contending team with a strong core like the Jets.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
How many 33 year olds have negotiated 5+ year extensions/contracts recently?

I think 5 is the limit for Wheels and believe the are likely negotiating between 3 and 4 year deals. Little and Buff, as has been mentioned, at the age of 29/30 were only able to negotiate 5-year extensions. Chevy doesn't seem inclined to commit large dollars to 36+ year old players.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
How many 33 year olds have negotiated 5+ year extensions/contracts recently?

I think 5 is the limit for Wheels and believe the are likely negotiating between 3 and 4 year deals. Little and Buff, as has been mentioned, at the age of 29/30 were only able to negotiate 5-year extensions. Chevy doesn't seem inclined to commit large dollars to 36+ year old players.
Little's extension is for 6 years, but it works out the same. Both Buff's and Little's contracts expire the season they turn 36. A 3 year extension for Wheeler would have him turning 36 just following the final season. I'm sure Chevy isn't set in stone on that particular age but it would suggest for Chevy as with most GM's term is tied closely to age.

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
I don't think he will get better in the future, but I do not expect him to recede the way Ladd has.

Having said that I have an announcement for this forum. I just landed a job that I have been trying to get for two years. I am so happy, and want to thank you all for sharing your love for the Jets with me. If someone has not reminded you today, you are all great people, and you are all capable of doing great and amazing things.

Even though I can come across as a prick at times, I hope the best for all of you. Today was such a great day for me. Everyone have a great week!

Grats on the new jorb man! That's really awesome to hear :D (And I only thought you came across as a prick some of the time ;) ) Kidding man, we're all a little prickish around here sometimes

Reactions: Jets4Life

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
My new motto is "20% less prick!" ;)

Hey Jets4Life- you don't come across as a "prick"-- but someone who tells it like it is, and with great vision as well. You were non-relenting on Helle as our Goalie, when everyone else thought he was a bust.(including me) You stick to your guns- "great poster"

We need guys like you that will stand up to some of these no mind posters, that make no sense.

Congrats on the new job !!! Hope it works out great for you. :thumbu:

Reactions: Jets4Life

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018
I'm surprised that some people feel we may give up Wheeler to keep our young guys. I disagree.
Why can't we keep more of our stars?
Here is my response in another thread
I would prefer we give up Perreault. Also we have some young defencemen that could take over. We could let Kulikov and Myers go.
We have some potential replacements coming up: Poolman, Niku, Samburg, even Stanley some day.
That means we would go younger and cheaper on defence and keep our offensive stars.
Wheeler is our captain and one of the best wingers in the world. I would like to keep him too.
Make it work Chevy! Sign him to an extension before training camp!
Do you think he will? Make it a priority!!​
Now make a Laine and Morrisey signing thread

Reactions: The Big M

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018
I think there's a big risk signing a contract that kicks in when Wheeler turns 33, especially with him coming off a career year for points (the big part of that being PP points). Unless Wheeler is offering a big home-town discount right now, I don't think there's a big risk in waiting until January to start talking contract extension with him.

View attachment 136021

View attachment 136023
One of the most productive Power Plays in the league literally runs through him. How can that be spun into a negative???

Reactions: Scheifelaine

The Big M

Dec 29, 2017
I was driving to work this morning when I heard the news on the radio.
I had a big smile on my face!
Good job Chevy!
Now to work on Morrissey, Laine and Conner!

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
One of the most productive Power Plays in the league literally runs through him. How can that be spun into a negative???
Wheeler's power play production took a big leap relative to his 5v5 production over the past two seasons - coinciding with the arrival of Laine and the rise of Scheifele as the mid-slot C on P1. In the 5 years leading up to Laine's arrival, Wheeler was averaging an overall p/60 about 0.45 above his 5v5 p/60. In the two seasons since Laine arrived, his overall p/60 has risen markedly: +0.82 in 2016-17 and +1.25 in 2017-18.

upload_2018-8-29_14-21-6-png.136777

If you look at Wheeler's 5v5 p/60 vs p1/60, that has also tailed off in the last couple of years:
upload_2018-9-5_1-0-41.png

The p1/60 line is a good visualization of his productive peak from age 26 to 29 (2012-2015). He's taking up the slack in p1/60 by playing with more skilled linemates than he may have had during his 26-29 prime, and exceeding his point totals through a juggernaut powerplay.

He hasn't fallen off any cliffs yet - and hopefully he'll maintain a nice holding pattern and coast into a gentle decline.

I was never saying "don't sign Wheeler" in my previous posts - just that the Jets could've waited to see how it's going this season before pulling the trigger on any deal. But maybe that wouldn't have sat well with Wheeler - he's a bit cantankerous. ;)

Reactions: Bigfish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad