OT: Chess

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by aufheben, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Chimpradamus Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Cat herder
    Soo, when the season is basically over with the NYR being Lloyd asking Mary (the playoffs) in the movie Dumb & Dumber what his chances are, we go back to this thread and the Jerome gambit. We see a novelty in chess where Aman declines the Jerome gambit while being quite intoxicated. If there isn't a category named chess entertainment, I think there should be.

Harbour Dog and Hawkman like this.
  2. Harbour Dog HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Started as ~1300 rated player 3.5 years ago with the goal of getting to 1800 in 10min time control. I hadn't really played chess much since high school, and was never coached or anything, so I figured there was lots of room for improvement.

Just hit 1803! 99.1%.

Feels f***ing good, Man. I put a lot of effort into practicing tactics and analyzing my various openings, and the positions that arise from them.

Next stop: 1850!

3. Harbour Dog HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    If I'm in the mood for quick tactics and basically force-feeding myself with chess, I watch Hikaru or Naroditsky.

If I just want to chill, maybe have a drink, and listen to some good dudes.. Chessbrahs 100%.

Hawkman likes this.
  4. WhiskeyYourTheDevils yer leadin me astray Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Strategy / Analytics
    Devils fan coming in peace. Was perusing your forums looking for the Zac Jones thread and saw this topic, didn't expect to find a chess topic on HF lol.

Candidates tournament has been nuts this year, hoping we get a rematch of 2018.

5. Harbour Dog HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I don't know if it's because some guys are out of form a little, but this second half has been crazy to watch!

The Wang Hao-Grischuk game today had me rocking back and forth on my couch lol

I don't really care who advances, but I'm hoping for more drama than a Nepo runaway win.

Hawkman likes this.
  6. WhiskeyYourTheDevils yer leadin me astray Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Strategy / Analytics
    Nepo still has to play Fabi and MVL again, right?

Hawkman likes this.
  7. Harbour Dog HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Yup, but he has white against them both. If Fabi doesn't beat him (on Friday), that will be a huge blow to his chances, since Nepo would own the tie break against him.

Hawkman likes this.
  8. WhiskeyYourTheDevils yer leadin me astray Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Strategy / Analytics
    Damn it's going to be real tough then, especially considering Fabi hasb't played all that great (though the other day was a masterpiece).

Hawkman likes this.
  9. Harbour Dog HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Yeah, that game against MVL was an astounding piece of preparation, but it never felt like he converted it as he should have, and ended up just finding a stubborn way to wear him down.

Nepo is notoriously streaky, so who knows. His two remaining games with black are against Wang Hao and Ding. If one of those guys can find a way to win, then that'll open the door to some comeback potential.

The tournament could be all but decided by Saturday if he keeps his form.

Hawkman likes this.
  10. WhiskeyYourTheDevils yer leadin me astray Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Strategy / Analytics
    Yeah but he's been excellent, especially in a couple recent tourneys.

Cool to have some real chess fans here - whats your Elo?

11. Hawkman You're damn right I've got the Blues

SB Cash:
    $ 10,000
    The live ratings. The top 16 are all under 40.

12. Hawkman You're damn right I've got the Blues

SB Cash:
    $ 10,000
    [​IMG]
    I like how Nepo gives this look that says "Why are you so foolish to sit down with me? You're obviously inferior".

Harbour Dog likes this.
  13. Brief Candle This Charming Man

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Can I tell you how psyched I am to see this thread! I mean I'm a total garbage 1100ish rated player (I do not study at all), but god I love chess.

We really are living through a renaissance of chess. So many characters in the top ranks. I love Nepo because he's a total scifi/fantasy nerd. I just checked twitch, there's about 30k watching chess right now. Chess! I really wish I would have started playing when I was younger, but the stigma of it being SO uncool was there, and I was an idiot who believed it, even though I really wanted to learn.

Harbour Dog likes this.
  14. Harbour Dog HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I don't have an otb rating (yet), though once Covid restrictions lessen, I'm going to start looking for tournaments near me regularly!

I play mostly 10-minute games on chess.com and currently just hit a rating high of 1803. Unfortunately, I'm 32 and only started to put effort into getting better at chess about 3.5 years ago, so there a lot of tactics and positional ideas that will never be automatic to me. My goal when I started was to get to 1800... maybe 1900 now haha.

What about you?

Brief Candle likes this.
  15. Brief Candle This Charming Man

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Yeah, I'm 44, and I've only really been playing for the past year, but extremely casually. I bought a few of the more well-known books, but just don't have the time right now to give them the attention they need. I'd love to get good enough to enter some competitions and get an actual rank (we're not talking GM here, don't worry).

16. Harbour Dog HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    The resurgence of chess has been amazing! The combination of Covid and the Queen's Gambit has driven so many more people to the game.

Anytime I feel like I want to watch chess on Twitch, it's practically a guarantee that there will be somebody streaming. Whether it's Hikaru, or Naroditsky, or Levy, or even the Botez sisters, there is always a presence there.

I have to admit, I found it a little hard to watch the Poggers tournament, but that may have been one of the greatest breakthroughs for chess ever! There was one point where a match between (I think) xQc and somebody else was THE most watched stream on Twitch. And Ludwig continues to stream chess on occasion; he even had Magnus Carlsen on last week, playing hand and brain with the Botez sisters.

If you're around 1100 and not studying at all, that isn't anything to be disappointed about. Those poggers were getting help from pro chess players, and only three or four of them got above 1100, I believe. The main thing is that you get what you want out of the game! And it sounds like you do.

17. WhiskeyYourTheDevils yer leadin me astray Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Strategy / Analytics
    Yeah very much the same story for me. Started playing 3 years ago, 34 years old, rapid rating (10+0) of about 2065 on Lichess and 1850 on Chess.com (started about 800 points lower lol). No official OTB rating, but I've played a few OTB games with a friend who is 1680 FIDE rating and I've beaten him in 8 out of 10 games (with 1 draw). I play a lot of 3+0 blitz as well, that's hard lol.

18. Harbour Dog HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    At a casual 1100, you probably could make some minor tweeks that would bump you 100+ points pretty quickly. Something as simple as specializing in some openings, and getting familiar positions in most of your games. Running the analysis tool after your games and seeing where you made mistakes, and why they were mistakes. Wouldn't have to be anything to involved.

But if it's the casual part that you enjoy, then f*** it! Just have fun. What time control do you generally play?

The Sweetness likes this.
  19. Harbour Dog HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Oh, that's interesting! So your rating would probably translate to be similar otb, maybe closer to 1800. Perhaps mine would be closer to 1750. What time control did you use for the games against your friend? If any.

Yeah, I play bullet sometimes as a warm up, or if I feel not mentally ready for real chess. I've avoided 3+0, probably without good reason. I just know that I have to spend more time calculating than most people at my level, and I'm pretty sure 3+0 would be more of a struggle to rise. It's probably a very good training tool though! Plus, my current blitz rating is 1770ish, since the 10+0 games used to be in blitz. I'd be getting stomped on for a bit haha.

You should add me the next time that you're on: Harbour-Dog.

20. Hawkman You're damn right I've got the Blues

SB Cash:
    $ 10,000
    I have you and DaveG added. I've been more of a fan of chess since I joined Chess.com only playing the AI, lessons, and puzzles, but you guys have inspired me to start playing again. When I get my rating to 1000 I'll play some quick, fun games with you and others.

Who are you guys rooting for in the Candidates and in the Championship? I think Caruana is the best challenger, but Nepo is hot. I'm undecided.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    Harbour Dog likes this.
  21. WhiskeyYourTheDevils yer leadin me astray Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Strategy / Analytics
    We played 25+10 - I feel like I always play better in classical time controls but don't have the patience. I am guessing I am probably around 1780-1800.

https://chessgoals.com/rating-comparison/
    This suggests you'd be ~1780 OTB

Harbour Dog likes this.
  22. Brief Candle This Charming Man

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Honestly, I see SO many parallels between Hockey and Chess. The movement of pieces, how they compliment each other, development of "plays". Every hockey player or fan should get into playing. I really think it could only help.

Isn't it all so crazy? I'm watching Carlsen play Dubov right now. Literally both casually playing from home for the world to watch.

I actually put off watching the queens gambit till fairly recently, and I have to say, it was utterly amazing (it also doesn't hurt that the main character is unnaturally breathtakingly beautiful haha).

Harbour Dog likes this.
  23. Harbour Dog HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I agree. At its core, chess is a pure form of strategy. There are so many lessons to be taken from it, that I can see in sports.

Short term, the way that you look to manage a chess game and steer it toward situations that are comfortable for you and not so for your opponent, is like Trotz controlling the pace of games with his lesser talented team or the Leafs getting into run and gun games as much as possible. And long term, it's all about the grind of winning and losing and winning and losing, and always learning and not being satisifed.

Carlsen only just started streaming last week, I'm sure it won't be long before he has a large following. He isn't the personality of a lot of those guys, but he's Magnus Carlsen; that's reason enough for me to watch him playing whenever I have a chance. And Dubov should be a huge draw too, he rightfully has a lot of fans. Myself included.

24. Hawkman You're damn right I've got the Blues

SB Cash:
    $ 10,000
    Very exciting chess today! I think Nepo and Giri are the only possible winners now.

Harbour Dog likes this.
  25. Harbour Dog HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    The MVL-Nepo game tomorrow is going to be huge. I think that Nepo plays 1. d4, and if MVL does like MVL does and goes for the Grunfeld, Nepo probably has several options in mind to try to force draws. We may see a Queen's Gambit, or some funky Queen's Pawn Game variation, with MVL trying to avoid any of those prepared forced draws.

I'll be cheering for Giri from here on out though; he has changed his entire mentality and is playing the best chess of anybody in the world at the moment; Magnus included.

I won't get to see the next two rounds in their entirety, unfortunately.