Veselin Topalov
Ding Liren
Hikaru Nakamura
Alexander Grischuk
Anish Giri
Teimour Radjabov
Alexander Morozevich
Sergey Karjakin
Vassily Ivanchuk - Classical games: Vassily Ivanchuk beat Nigel Short 11 to 1, with 17 draws.
Including rapid/exhibition games: Vassily Ivanchuk beat Nigel Short 16 to 2, with 20 draws.
Only rapid/exhibition games: Vassily Ivanchuk beat Nigel Short 5 to 1, with 3 draws.
Short's game is not respected - there must be a reason why. I'd analyze his games but it's above my pay-grade.

I dislike Fabi but I'm cool with the rest of your list.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
1. Levon Aronian
8. Alexander Grischuk

2. Wesley So
7. Hikaru Nakamura

3. Shakhriyar Mamedyarov
6. Ding Liren

4. Maxime Vachier-Lagrave
5. Veselin Topalov

In a single elimination tourney like March Madness who would win?
Grischik - he will make Aronian laugh until he loses.

So - because of his Christian faith.

Liren - because I can never remember if it is Ding Liren or Liren Ding - and I'm not the only one / I've seen it wrong in chess publications.

Maxime - I can't think of a "clever" reason. Oh wait... he "sounds" French Canadian.

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
"Nepomniachtchi and Goryachkina are the 2020 Russian champions

After beating Ian Nepomniachtchi in round 9, Daniil Dubov also beat Sergey Karjakin, the second rating favourite, to decide the title race in the open tournament — in favour of Nepomniachtchi. The women’s championship was decided in a playoff. Aleksandra Goryachkina (She is the No. 2 ranked woman in the world by FIDE rating behind only Hou Yifan. With a peak rating of 2593, she is also the sixth-highest rated woman in chess history, and the highest-ever rated Russian woman. Aleksandra Goryachkina - Wikipedia ) defeated long-time leader Polina Shuvalova in Armageddon." Nepomniachtchi and Goryachkina are the 2020 Russian champions

Will Nepo win the Candidates also? MVL?

Last edited:
Reactions: ORRFForever

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
caruana-carlsen-2020.jpeg

"Fabiano Caruana and Magnus Carlsen during round 11 last year
Participants
NameCountryRatingRanking
Magnus CarlsenNorway28621
Fabiano CaruanaUnited States28232
Maxime Vachier-LagraveFrance27845
Anish GiriNetherlands276411
Alireza FirouzjaFIDE274918
Jan-Krzysztof DudaPoland274319
Pentala HariskrishnaIndia273222
Radoslaw WojtaszekPoland270537
Andrey EsipenkoRussia268649
David Anton GuijarroSpain267560
Jorden van ForeestNetherlands267166
Alexander DonchenkoGermany266871
Nils GrandeliusSweden265777
Aryan TariNorway2618184
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Tata Steel Chess 2021: A preview

It all starts on Saturday in Wijk aan Zee, as the first round of the much-anticipated Tata Steel tournament kicks off at 14:00 (CET). ... it will be a great (over-the-board) tournament ... , with Magnus Carlsen and Fabiano Caruana (and MVL) included in the lineup!" Tata Steel Chess 2021: A preview

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
93019.jpeg

"Tata Steel R8: Esipenko stuns Carlsen, Firouzja grabs the lead

1/25/2021 – Alireza Firouzja grabbed to sole lead at the Tata Steel Masters by beating Pentala Harikrishna with the black pieces, but remarkably this was not the most shocking development of round 8 as Andrey Esipenko defeated world champion Magnus Carlsen in their first-ever confrontation in classical chess — Carlsen played aggressively with the black pieces and was duly outplayed by the 18-year-old. With his win, Esipenko joined the four-player chasing pack which also includes Anish Giri, Fabiano Caruana and Jorden van Foreest." Tata Steel R8: Esipenko stuns Carlsen, Firouzja grabs the lead

Carlsen played the (B84) Sicilian Schev. with 6. ... e6. Esipenko played 7. Be3. Carlsen is in 8th place. Standings after Round 8
Rk.NameRtg.Nt.Pts.n1234567891011121314TBPerf.
1GMFirouzja,A2749
United%20Nations.png
5.58½10½1½111.502862
2GMGiri,A2764
Netherlands.png
5.08½½½1½½1½3.002795
3GMEsipenko,A2677
Russian%20Federation.png
5.08½½½½11½½3.002855
4GMCaruana,F2823
United%20States%20of%20America.png
5.08½½½½½1½12.502808
5GMVan Foreest,J2671
Netherlands.png
5.08½½½½½½112.002844
6GMGrandelius,N2663
Sweden.png
4.580½½0½1111.002780
7GMHarikrishna,P2732
India.png
4.080½½½1½½½3.002753
8GMCarlsen,M2862
Norway.png
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
94310.jpeg

"4/1/2021 – Magnus Carlsen was born on 30 November 1990 and played his first tournament when he was eight and a half years old. At the age of 13 he became a Grandmaster, and since July 2011 he has been the world's number one. In 2013 Carlsen became World Champion. His successes have made him a star, his way of playing and presenting chess has changed the chess world. Now, "The Magnus Carlsen Story" was published on YouTube, seven short videos that review Carlsen's amazing career. | Photo: Screenshot from the video series" The Magnus Carlsen Story on YouTube | ChessBase

Although I made a post in this forum earlier today about the BoSox ridiculous new Oakland A's shade gold jerseys, I'm proud to be posting again in this great forum with the great posters here. :thumbu:

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
94486.jpeg

"4/8/2021 – In the last couple of decades, China has become a chess powerhouse, with Ding Liren fighting at the highest level, the national squads accumulating success after success in team events and the women players continuing to show their strength. A week and a half before the resumption of the Candidates — where two of the participants are Chinese — we revisit two brilliant games by players born in the world’s most populous country: Liu Wenzhe and Wei Yi. | Photo: Niki Riga" Two Chinese brilliancies | ChessBase

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
94660.jpeg

"Vivendi and Garry Kasparov team up
4/17/2021 – Former World Chess Champion Garry Kasparov and global media company Vivendi announced today the launch of Kasparovchess.com, a new multimedia content platform for chess lovers of all skill levels, built to offer features for all players, whether they are enthusiasts or beginners. It includs thousands of chess puzzles, online matches, in-depth tutorials, articles, documentaries, and even an exclusive masterclass with Kasparov himself". Vivendi and Garry Kasparov team up | ChessBase

This is a good idea, but he should have done it 20 years ago. Some of the larger sites such as chess.com are hard to compete with.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
94660.jpeg

"Vivendi and Garry Kasparov team up
4/17/2021 – Former World Chess Champion Garry Kasparov and global media company Vivendi announced today the launch of Kasparovchess.com, a new multimedia content platform for chess lovers of all skill levels, built to offer features for all players, whether they are enthusiasts or beginners. It includs thousands of chess puzzles, online matches, in-depth tutorials, articles, documentaries, and even an exclusive masterclass with Kasparov himself". Vivendi and Garry Kasparov team up | ChessBase

This is a good idea, but he should have done it 20 years ago. Some of the larger sites such as chess.com are hard to compete with.

Yeah, the larger chess sites are so unthreatened by it that they posted articles about it for all their users to read haha. If he wants to draw people to use that platform, where the charge is considerably more than other sites ($14/month or $120/year), they have to bring something more innovative to the table. Kasparov's master class is not enough, considering how much other chess content there is out there to improve with.

Also... Candidates Tournament starts again tomorrow!

Reactions: Hawkman

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
...Also... Candidates Tournament starts again tomorrow!
Yes, I came here to post about it. In the last final Caruana actually tied Carlsen at classical time controls. Speelman is a character > Ovi-ready | ChessBase I'd like to see the top (2700+) GMs switch to a variant. At their level they memorize 15-30 moves from an AI and that's chess at the highest level.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Yes, I came here to post about it. In the last final Caruana actually tied Carlsen at classical time controls. Speelman is a character > Ovi-ready | ChessBase I'd like to see the top (2700+) GMs switch to a variant. At their level they memorize 15-30 moves from an AI and that's chess at the highest level.

It's an unfortunate truth that at the highest level, engines have all but destroyed the creativity of the game. The uniqueness between high end players is much more narrow now than it once was. That's why I like Dubov so much; he at least tries to infuse his own brand of art into the game. The same with Jorden van Foreest; he comes up with creative ideas that few other guys are looking for.

I think that it won't be too long before we start seeing reduced time controls for classical games. Nothing too ridiculous, but maybe just cutting the current time control by 25%. would lead to some more interesting attempts from Super GMs.

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
94713.jpeg

"Candidates Tournament 2020-21, Round 8 - live!
by ChessBase
4/19/2021 – After the longest half-time break ever, the Candidates Tournament in Yekaterinburg resumes today. The second part of the tournament begins at 16:00 local time (13:00 CEST, 7:00 ET) with round 8. Ian Nepomniachtchi and Maxime Vachier-Lagrave share the lead with 4.5/7 and in round 8 they meet their pursuers Anish Giri and Fabiano Caruana who both have 3.5/7. Follow the games live with commentary by Magnus Carlsen (!), David Howell and Tania Sachdev". Candidates Tournament 2020-21, Round 8 - live! | ChessBase

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Soo, when the season is basically over with the NYR being Lloyd asking Mary (the playoffs) in the movie Dumb & Dumber what his chances are, we go back to this thread and the Jerome gambit. We see a novelty in chess where Aman declines the Jerome gambit while being quite intoxicated. If there isn't a category named chess entertainment, I think there should be.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Started as ~1300 rated player 3.5 years ago with the goal of getting to 1800 in 10min time control. I hadn't really played chess much since high school, and was never coached or anything, so I figured there was lots of room for improvement.

Just hit 1803! 99.1%.

Feels f***ing good, Man. I put a lot of effort into practicing tactics and analyzing my various openings, and the positions that arise from them.

Next stop: 1850!

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Soo, when the season is basically over with the NYR being Lloyd asking Mary (the playoffs) in the movie Dumb & Dumber what his chances are, we go back to this thread and the Jerome gambit. We see a novelty in chess where Aman declines the Jerome gambit while being quite intoxicated. If there isn't a category named chess entertainment, I think there should be.

If I'm in the mood for quick tactics and basically force-feeding myself with chess, I watch Hikaru or Naroditsky.

If I just want to chill, maybe have a drink, and listen to some good dudes.. Chessbrahs 100%.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Devils fan coming in peace. Was perusing your forums looking for the Zac Jones thread and saw this topic, didn't expect to find a chess topic on HF lol.

Candidates tournament has been nuts this year, hoping we get a rematch of 2018.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Devils fan coming in peace. Was perusing your forums looking for the Zac Jones thread and saw this topic, didn't expect to find a chess topic on HF lol.

Candidates tournament has been nuts this year, hoping we get a rematch of 2018.

I don't know if it's because some guys are out of form a little, but this second half has been crazy to watch!

The Wang Hao-Grischuk game today had me rocking back and forth on my couch lol

I don't really care who advances, but I'm hoping for more drama than a Nepo runaway win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->