OT: Chess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
Ah, I gotchya, that makes more sense haha.

For sure. I'll have to give it some thought.

I suspect that Carlsen is going to do some more narrowed prep for Nepo than he did for Caruana. Against Fabi, he opened with c4, e4, and d4 in each of the first three games to feel him out and keep him a little off balance; I think his gameplan was always to play as safe as possible and be satisfied with getting to rapid tiebreaks where he had a huge advantage.

Nepo, whether as strong as 2018 Fabi or not, is probably going to require Carlsen to narrow his preparation in a little more ahead of time.

I may wait to see what they play in some other events this year, and eliminate those openings from the running haha

Similarly to when Valiquette and Giannone pick someone like Blackwell to score for the Rangers, I am picking the Kadas and the Ware opening.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I accidentally did my research for Giri instead of Carlsen, but after looking at Carlsen I'll stick with 2 Sicilians for both player's black and white openings. 1. e4 c5

Gun to my head right now, I think Carlsen may try to avoid sharper Sicilian lines at the start of the match.

Nepo's first white game becomes a Ruy Lopez, and Carlsen's a Queen's Gambit Declined.

Reactions: Hawkman

Say Hey Kid

Gonna get some albums by The Status Quo
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Another change I'd like to see in 2700+ plus tourneys is 0 points for draws. It would have a double bonus. Players would play for wins to get cash and they they would not try to save draws, because draws would offer no benefit.

Edit: Wang Hao retired!

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
94896%20(2).jpeg

"Fischer, Karpov and Kortschnoi
4/29/2021 – If Bobby Fischer had not retired after becoming World Champion in 1972 we would have seen a decade dominated by Fischer, Anatoly Karpov and Viktor Kortschnoi. What would have happened, if there had been a match Fischer - Karpov or Fischer - Kortschnoi? And why did Fischer not play against Karpov in 1975? And how would Fischer's decision have turned out if the challenger had not been Karpov, but Kortschnoi? Some thoughts by Stephan Oliver Platz." Fischer, Karpov and Kortschnoi | ChessBase

My top 4 all time may be Kasparov, Fisher, Carlsen, and Karpov. Kortschnoi may be my best non-champ.

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Reactions: Harbour Dog

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
94873%20(6).jpeg

"New in Chess Classic Finals - Live!
5/1/2021 – Hikaru Nakamura and Magnus Carlsen qualified to the finals of the New in Chess Classic by beating Shakhriyar Mamedyarov and Levon Aronian respectively in the semifinals. A great rivalry between Naka and Carlsen has developed during the online-tournament era. Read the full report on an exciting day 2 of the semis. | The action kicks off daily at 19:00 CEST." New in Chess Classic Finals - Live! | ChessBase2

This will be great! The 2 best speed players in the world, the Champ and the former #2 at classical speed, against each other. The winner will play @Harbour Dog ;)

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
94873%20(6).jpeg

"New in Chess Classic Finals - Live!
5/1/2021 – Hikaru Nakamura and Magnus Carlsen qualified to the finals of the New in Chess Classic by beating Shakhriyar Mamedyarov and Levon Aronian respectively in the semifinals. A great rivalry between Naka and Carlsen has developed during the online-tournament era. Read the full report on an exciting day 2 of the semis. | The action kicks off daily at 19:00 CEST." New in Chess Classic Finals - Live! | ChessBase2

This will be great! The 2 best speed players in the world, the Champ and the former #2 at classical speed, against each other. The winner will play @Harbour Dog ;)

Watching this right now. Nakamura pushing hard in the last game to try to tie the day's match.

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
95003.jpeg

"New in Chess Classic Finals: Carlsen wins first set
5/2/2021 – In a hard-fought first set of the New in Chess Classic finals, Magnus Carlsen grabbed the lead by scoring a 3-1 win over Hikaru Nakamura. After drawing the first two games and losing the third encounter, Naka had a better position in a must-win situation. The American mishandled his advantage and Carlsen ended up scoring a second win in a row. Meanwhile, Shakhriyar Mamedyarov and Levon Aronian tied the first set in the match for third place. | Photo: Lennart Ootes" New in Chess Classic Finals: Carlsen wins first set | ChessBase

Hollel

Jun 15, 2019
95003.jpeg

"New in Chess Classic Finals: Carlsen wins first set
5/2/2021 – In a hard-fought first set of the New in Chess Classic finals, Magnus Carlsen grabbed the lead by scoring a 3-1 win over Hikaru Nakamura. After drawing the first two games and losing the third encounter, Naka had a better position in a must-win situation. The American mishandled his advantage and Carlsen ended up scoring a second win in a row. Meanwhile, Shakhriyar Mamedyarov and Levon Aronian tied the first set in the match for third place. | Photo: Lennart Ootes" New in Chess Classic Finals: Carlsen wins first set | ChessBase
Absolutely bonkers to me that this dude is pulling out come from behind wins in a chess final while glancing over at a soccer game

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
I can't wait to read this. @Harbour Dog

"Magnus Carlsen about Fischer, Karpov, Kasparov, Kramnik, Anand, Polgar and himself

On Sunday, 2 May, Magnus Carlsen won the New in Chess Classic Online Tournament, the first of the so far five Meltwater Champions Chess Tour tournaments the World Champion, who is as spoilt for success as he is hungry for it, could win. But Carlsen did not only entertain and impress at the board (or screen). In short video clips, shown during the live broadcast, he revealed what he thinks about previous World Champions and showed his amazing chess memory." Magnus Carlsen about Fischer, Karpov, Kasparov, Kramnik, Anand, Polgar and himself | ChessBase

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
94896%20(2).jpeg

"Fischer, Karpov and Kortschnoi
4/29/2021 – If Bobby Fischer had not retired after becoming World Champion in 1972 we would have seen a decade dominated by Fischer, Anatoly Karpov and Viktor Kortschnoi. What would have happened, if there had been a match Fischer - Karpov or Fischer - Kortschnoi? And why did Fischer not play against Karpov in 1975? And how would Fischer's decision have turned out if the challenger had not been Karpov, but Kortschnoi? Some thoughts by Stephan Oliver Platz." Fischer, Karpov and Kortschnoi | ChessBase

My top 4 all time may be Kasparov, Fisher, Carlsen, and Karpov. Kortschnoi may be my best non-champ.

Fischer will probably always be the most captivating name in Chess. It's too bad he seemed to suffer from mental issues. The guy was self taught and his record in US Championships will probably never be equaled.

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Fischer will probably always be the most captivating name in Chess. It's too bad he seemed to suffer from mental issues. The guy was self taught and his record in US Championships will probably never be equaled.
He beat the Soviet Empire/USSR by himself. I like Fisher and Kasparov over Carlsen, because they played original chess and for most of Kasparov's career he was better than AI thus his games were the go to reference for the top GMs.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
He beat the Soviet Empire/USSR by himself. I like Fisher and Kasparov over Carlsen, because they played original chess and for most of Kasparov's career he was better than AI thus his games were the go to reference for the top GMs.

I think Fischer is more intriguing than Carlsen but the game of chess has evolved a lot since the peak of Fischer. If you could transport peak Fischer, and have him play peak Carlsen, it would heavily favor Carlsen. I even view Fischer as having been likely the most naturally gifted at chess. Ratings aside, it's also possible at Fischer's peak he was a much better player vs the rest of the world than Carlsen ever will be. It's extremely difficult when comparing GM's of different eras and the GM's themselves struggle with those comparisons.

I'm looking forward to Carlsen vs Nepo. Nepo seems to be hitting his peak while Carlsen has had his share of recent struggles (the last tournament notwithstanding).

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
"Throwback Thursday: Wesley So makes it past 2800
5/6/2021 – Wesley So has proven to be capable of beating any player from the elite, including world champion Magnus Carlsen. The Filipino-born grandmaster, currently representing the United States, obtained his highest-ever live rating in April 2017, following a streak of remarkable results in the elite circuit. We look back at the successes that helped the ever-humble star to reach the second spot in the world ranking." Throwback Thursday: Wesley So makes it past 2800 | ChessBase

This is a throwback story. He's #8 in the live ratings.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I think Fischer is more intriguing than Carlsen but the game of chess has evolved a lot since the peak of Fischer. If you could transport peak Fischer, and have him play peak Carlsen, it would heavily favor Carlsen. I even view Fischer as having been likely the most naturally gifted at chess. Ratings aside, it's also possible at Fischer's peak he was a much better player vs the rest of the world than Carlsen ever will be. It's extremely difficult when comparing GM's of different eras and the GM's themselves struggle with those comparisons.

I'm looking forward to Carlsen vs Nepo. Nepo seems to be hitting his peak while Carlsen has had his share of recent struggles (the last tournament notwithstanding).
Regarding Fischer...

Of all the GREAT players, Fischer had the LEAST support - Casablanca may be the exception and Paul Morphy if you want to go way back. The Russians had an entire system and current players have computers. Fischer had himself in his little NY apartment. For that, he will always deserve to be considered one of the all time greats.

As for Nepo vs Carlsen...

Nepo scored some EARLY(!) victories, he's playing really well, and he does have the man-bun, but don't expect a change of world champion in 2021. The tournament format favours Carlsen against everyone but Nakamura.

Of course, if Carlsen played Nakamura for the world championship, it would never get to the tie breaker. That's why Magnus will be on top for the considerable future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spektre

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The player with the best chance of beating Magnus is Giri - and even then, Magnus would be a large favourite.

Fabi has little to no chance because Magnus can play for draws - knowing Fabi has NO chance of winning the tie-breaker.

I would LOVE to see Dubov make a run but he has plateaued.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Sincere question...

Anyone else ever look at Giri's wife and think, "How did he get her?"

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
It's funny...Magnus criticized the Karpov-Kasparov matches because there were too many draws, yet I didn't see Magnus taking any chances against Fabi. Seems a little hypocritical to me.
The other thing is that in 84 they played a very manly 48 games. In 2018 Carlsen played a very sissified 12 games.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The other thing is that in 84 they played a very manly 48 games. In 2018 Carlsen played a very sissified 12 games.
Yup. And Carlsen played those games like a player who knew he had an ace up his sleeve - and he did : the format of the tournament and Fabi drop off at faster speeds.

Kasparov-Karpov was the single greatest display of chess in history.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
The player with the best chance of beating Magnus is Giri - and even then, Magnus would be a large favourite.

Fabi has little to no chance because Magnus can play for draws - knowing Fabi has NO chance of winning the tie-breaker.

I would LOVE to see Dubov make a run but he has plateaued.

In Giri's current form, maybe.

But I think Nepo has a fighting spirit that neither Giri nor Caruana have shown against Magnus. The trouble for Caruana is that he is basically dead in the Rapid tiebreaks, and he never pushed hard enough to avoid them. I think if he had won the Candidates this year, we would have seen him choose some more aggressive lines when we faced Magnus.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
It's funny...

Magnus criticized the Karpov-Kasparov matches because there were too many draws, yet I didn't see Magnus taking any chances against Fabi.

Seems a little hypocritical to me.

Yeah, it's easy to criticize it from the outside, but he clearly went into the Caruana match with the idea that if they were tied after the classical portion, he had a huge advantage.

And I don't blame him. It's all about winning.

I bet he wouldn't criticize the Karpov-Kasparov match now that he's seen the sort of gamesmanship it can take to win a match against a dangerous opponent of near-equal strength.

Reactions: Spektre and Hawkman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad