OT: Chess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Regarding Fischer...

Of all the GREAT players, Fischer had the LEAST support - Casablanca may be the exception and Paul Morphy if you want to go way back. The Russians had an entire system and current players have computers. Fischer had himself in his little NY apartment. For that, he will always deserve to be considered one of the all time greats.

As for Nepo vs Carlsen...

Nepo scored some EARLY(!) victories, he's playing really well, and he does have the man-bun, but don't expect a change of world champion in 2021. The tournament format favours Carlsen against everyone but Nakamura.

Of course, if Carlsen played Nakamura for the world championship, it would never get to the tie breaker. That's why Magnus will be on top for the considerable future.

Nakamura is great at what he’s great at, speed chess. He’s not close to being good enough for a classical world championship.

(and he doesn’t even care) haha sorry I couldn’t resist

Reactions: Brief Candle

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yeah, it's easy to criticize it from the outside, but he clearly went into the Caruana match with the idea that if they were tied after the classical portion, he had a huge advantage.

And I don't blame him. It's all about winning.

I bet he wouldn't criticize the Karpov-Kasparov match now that he's seen the sort of gamesmanship it can take to win a match against a dangerous opponent of near-equal strength.
The level of drop-off level in Fabi's game at higher speed is shocking. Top players don't usually drop off THAT much.

Like you said, based on that, Magnus always knew he had a path to victory.

Reactions: Hawkman

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Nakamura is great at what he’s great at, speed chess. He’s not close to being good enough for a classical world championship.

(and he doesn’t even care) haha sorry I couldn’t resist
I agree. As I said, "...if Carlsen played Nakamura for the world championship, it would never get to the tie breaker."

It's a shame. Nakamura seems like a nice/interesting fellow and there is certainly nothing wrong with being the world best blitz player.

Reactions: Spektre

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
The level of drop-off level in Fabi's game at higher speed is shocking. Top players don't usually drop off THAT much.

Like you said, based on that, Magnus always knew he had a path to victory.

Yeah, I think the reason Fabi has such a dropoff is because he leans so heavy on his calculation at the board. Magnus commented during the candidates that while most guys are picking out a few moves and calculating them, Fabi is doing like every viable move.

He works harder than any of the other top players at the board, which probably compensates a little for having a slightly lower intuition.

When the time controls get sped up, he loses that advantage and gets outclassed by guys who wouldn't stand a chance in a classical match against him. I have a lot of respect for how hard he works to set himself apart from the pack. He's like an elite grinder of a hockey player. Sidney Crosby compared to Magnus' McDavid.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yeah, I think the reason Fabi has such a dropoff is because he leans so heavy on his calculation at the board. Magnus commented during the candidates that while most guys are picking out a few moves and calculating them, Fabi is doing like every viable move.

He works harder than any of the other top players at the board, which probably compensates a little for having a slightly lower intuition.

When the time controls get sped up, he loses that advantage and gets outclassed by guys who wouldn't stand a chance in a classical match against him. I have a lot of respect for how hard he works to set himself apart from the pack. He's like an elite grinder of a hockey player. Sidney Crosby compared to Magnus' McDavid.
That is well said and spot on.

Say Hey Kid

it's better to burn out than to fade awa
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Nakamura - Highest rating achieved in database: 2814, #2 in the world

95268.jpeg

"60 years ago: Botvinnik wins return match against Tal | ChessBase

60 years ago today, on 12 May 1961, the return World Championship match between Mihail Tal and Mikhail Botvinnik, which had started in Moscow on 15 March, came to an end. Tal had won the first match in 1960 with 12.5-8.5, but in the return match Botvinnik regained the world championship title and defeated Tal 13-8 (+10, -5, =6). But despite the clear result Botvinnik's victory still failed to convince." @Harbour Dog

Last edited:
Reactions: Harbour Dog

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Nakamura - Highest rating achieved in database: 2814, #2 in the world

95268.jpeg

"60 years ago: Botvinnik wins return match against Tal | ChessBase

60 years ago today, on 12 May 1961, the return World Championship match between Mihail Tal and Mikhail Botvinnik, which had started in Moscow on 15 March, came to an end. Tal had won the first match in 1960 with 12.5-8.5, but in the return match Botvinnik regained the world championship title and defeated Tal 13-8 (+10, -5, =6). But despite the clear result Botvinnik's victory still failed to convince." @Harbour Dog
The stare.

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
5/14/2021 – Garry Kasparov has described him as a world-champion level grandmaster, an assessment that is shared by much of the chess world. A true genius, Vasyl Ivanchuk has won a number of super-tournaments and has been ranked number 2 in the FIDE rankings three times. The Ukrainian also won the World Rapid Championship in 2016, and celebrated in style."

Korchnoi may be the best non-Champion ever, but Ivanchuk was very good also. Highest rating achieved in database: 2787. @Harbour Dog

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com

^ was super cool to watch. It's really changing how chess is played. I'd argue that if you were to take anyone in the top 10 today and send them back 60 years, they'd probably annihilate just about anyone back then.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

^ was super cool to watch. It's really changing how chess is played. I'd argue that if you were to take anyone in the top 10 today and send them back 60 years, they'd probably annihilate just about anyone back then.

Probably the case, but conversely, if Capablanca or Fischer were given access to today's resources, they would be Carlsen-like beasts.

It's been a while, but I remember reading an article that compared the accuracy of World Champions throughout history to that of a computer. Both Capablanca and Fischer were several decades ahead of their peers. Capablanca is the most mind-boggling to me, and it's no wonder that Carlsen considers him to be the greatest genius to ever play.

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
Probably the case, but conversely, if Capablanca or Fischer were given access to today's resources, they would be Carlsen-like beasts.

It's been a while, but I remember reading an article that compared the accuracy of World Champions throughout history to that of a computer. Both Capablanca and Fischer were several decades ahead of their peers. Capablanca is the most mind-boggling to me, and it's no wonder that Carlsen considers him to be the greatest genius to ever play.

Oh I agree to that for sure. Great chess players will always be great chess players. What these AI's do that's interesting could be to learn the style of a particular player. While it would never be 100%, it'd be cool to see Carlsen vs a Capablanca or Fischer AI.

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
"Ask me anything" (AMA) is a "Question & Answer" format on the Reddit platform in which readers are invitid to ask a famous guest, well, anything. On 19 May, the Reddit readers asked Garry Kasparov about chess, Magnus Carlsen, Deep Blue, Artificial Intelligence, and much more. Kasparov's answer were open, frank, clear, and are a pleasure to read."

You may enjoy checking out this famous game. Deep Blue (Computer) vs Garry Kasparov (1996) Sacre Blue! (chessgames.com) @Harbour Dog

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
"Ask me anything" (AMA) is a "Question & Answer" format on the Reddit platform in which readers are invitid to ask a famous guest, well, anything. On 19 May, the Reddit readers asked Garry Kasparov about chess, Magnus Carlsen, Deep Blue, Artificial Intelligence, and much more. Kasparov's answer were open, frank, clear, and are a pleasure to read."

You may enjoy checking out this famous game. Deep Blue (Computer) vs Garry Kasparov (1996) Sacre Blue! (chessgames.com) @Harbour Dog

I read the chess.com recap of this shortly after it happened. There was a bunch of interesting stuff in there; Kasparov is nothing if not honest and to the point with whatever questions he faces. Perhaps when I have time, I'll go back and look at the complete AMA.

Reactions: Hawkman

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
95447.jpeg

Throwback Thursday: Ponomariov, knockout expert | ChessBase

"With a peak rating of 2764, Ruslan Ponomariov can pride himself on a long list of professional achievements, including individual triumphs in Dortmund, Pamplona and San Sebastián, as well as gold medals with the Ukrainian team at two Chess Olympiads. However, he is perhaps best known for his excellent results in knockout events, including his victory at the 2002 FIDE World Chess Championship, when, as an 18-year-old, he defeated compatriot Vasyl Ivanchuk in the final of a gruelling event." @Harbour Dog

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I read the chess.com recap of this shortly after it happened. There was a bunch of interesting stuff in there; Kasparov is nothing if not honest and to the point with whatever questions he faces. Perhaps when I have time, I'll go back and look at the complete AMA.
Does he still believe IBM cheated?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
When Google/Alphabet built Alpha Zero, the rating skyrocketed until it peaked. That peak was enough to crush the Stockfish version available to the public.

Humans should take some pride in that because of Alpha Zero's human-esk playing style.

Sadly, Stockfish has bettered LeelaZero in recent years.

Google/Alphabet has said the next version will be stronger that AlphaZero, LeelaZero and Stockfish.

Will it? I have my doubts.

Last edited:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
When Google/Alphabet built Alpha Zero, the rating skyrocketed until it peaked. That peak was enough to crush the Stockfish version available to the public.

Humans should take some pride in that because of Alpha Zero's human-esk playing style.

Sadly, Stockfish has bettered LeelaZero in recent years.

Google/Alphabet has said the next version will be stronger that AlphaZero, LeelaZero and Stockfish.

Will it? I have my doubts.
On that subject I can recommend the AlphaGo documentary about a neural network AI competing against the best Go player in the world. While Go isn't chess, it's a very complicated game requiring alot of calculation ending up in a "feeling from your gut". I've watched it and really liked it. Good chess players usually become good Go players and vice versa, although Go has a stronger positional aspect than chess.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
On that subject I can recommend the AlphaGo documentary about a neural network AI competing against the best Go player in the world. While Go isn't chess, it's a very complicated game requiring alot of calculation ending up in a "feeling from your gut". I've watched it and really liked it. Good chess players usually become good Go players and vice versa, although Go has a stronger positional aspect than chess.

I enjoyed this documentary too, but I found it very bittersweet. Even without knowing much about Go, and having never seen any of the top players before watching it, it felt kind of like the world champion was playing for all of us.

Reactions: CLW and Hawkman

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I enjoyed this documentary too, but I found it very bittersweet. Even without knowing much about Go, and having never seen any of the top players before watching it, it felt kind of like the world champion was playing for all of us.
Yeah, he kind of took it too hard, but I guess it's a cultural thing and their starting ignorance of how strong computers are becoming in forming an intelligence. Everyone built up a confidence the AI would be crushed. Imagine a documentary about Carlsen playing against an AI network. He would laugh and say he expects to not even get a tie before the games. And he would probably be correct.

That an AI is sharper and more powerful than a human mind in a closed and set enviroment is a no brainer.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

I saw it. Loved it.

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
95485.jpeg

"FTX Crypto Cup - Live!

5/23/2021 – The FTX Crypto Cup is taking place on May 23-31 and offers a record $320,000 prize pot for an online event — $100,000 of that is a bonus paid in crypto by new sponsor FTX. World champion Magnus Carlsen takes centre stage as the current leader of the Meltwater Champions Chess Tour, but faces stiff competition in a field of 16 star names. Follow the games live with commentary starting at 17.00 CEST."
Current standings
Rk.NameRtg.Nt.Pts.n12345678910111213141516TBPerf.
1GMGiri,A2731
Netherlands.png
4.051½½111.002980
2GMNakamura,H2829
United%20States%20of%20America.png
3.55½½½112.502929
3GMVachier-Lagrave,M2860
France.png
3.55½½1½12.002969
4GMSo,W2741
3.55½½½111.502942
5GMFirouzja,A2703
Iran.png
3.05½½½½12.002834
6GMRadjabov,T2758
China.png
3.05½½½½11.502837
7GMDing,L2836
Norway.png
3.050½½110.502809
8GMCarlsen,M2881
2.550½½1½1.002735
9GMCaruana,F2773
Russian%20Federation.png
2.55½½½101.002748
10GMNepomniachtchi,I2778
Armenia.png
2.550½½1½1.002785
11GMAronian,L2778
Azerbaijan.png
2.05½½½½02.002696
12GMDubov,D2770
Russian%20Federation.png
2.05½½0011.002657
13GMSvidler,P2742
Russian%20Federation.png
2.0500½1½0.502698
14GMMamedyarov,S2761
United%20Nations.png
1.550001½1.002637
15GMGrischuk,A2784
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I only posted the current standings to show how incredibly strong the field is. @Harbour Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->