Sportsnet: Chelios take a shot at Shanahan

Ace88*

You said I was wrong, fact is as I just said, you don't know if Shanahan was the correct hire, you ever see those employee in training name tags? This is Shanahan right now.

No. I said you were wrong about Shanahan being handed his job when in fact he worked his way up the chain to get there. Remember: he is not a general manager. "Apprenticing" under a general manager would ostensibly serve him less than the positions he's held until now.

TheThrill81*

He's never worked in any front office capacity for any hockey team, whether it was junior, minor leagues, or the NHL.

How many teams hire a President overseeing an original 6 NHL franchise with no track record as a Hockey Exec, no apprenticeship under a successful GM, based solely on his record as a Head of NHL discipline.

I am frankly surprised, no one in the media or fanbase has brought these questions to the forefront. Shanahan has gotten a free ride here, it is generally accepted here that he is a great hire.

Truth is, no one knows. He has been handed one job after the other after his playing days.

I don't think I am being unreasonable. I'll give him a chance, but I won't buy in and say this was the right decision with his resume for running a NHL franchise with such a flimsy resume.

So the man has a track record of neither failure or success, because he hasn't been a team executive long enough to have a track record. Yet you choose to write him off anyways? It doesn't sound like you're giving him a chance, it sounds like you've already made up your mind.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
So Tselios and Shanahan don't see eye to eye. As a result, Tselios, your opinion is worth a rotten sack of potatoes.

Leafs Nation, have fun wasting your time dissecting these words

CalgaryLeaf*

Chelios is trying to promote a book. I wonder how many skeletons Chelly has in his closet?

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Well his actual role seems confusing. On most teams the President is a guy who basically handles marketing, gladhandles big sponsors, and steps in where there's issues at the top of departments, or inter-departmental.

The Leafs brought in a guy who was also a HoF player for this job to add a veneer of respectability back to the club and now a lot of people here seem to think he is basically running the team to leaving his "mark" on it, but isn't that the GM's job? How is having Shanahan step in and meddle with the team personel decisions any different from Peddie, thus a recipe for disaster?

BTW Shanahan got into the executive role through the NHLPA then at NHL HQ and now MLSE by basically being a political guy. He had to rub shoulders with the people in power, and make the right noises to support them and gain their support. He probably had to do some weasel-ish stuff a long the way when the chips were down, stuff that observers like Chelios or a lot of us would not respect much. Such is politics, there is a very sleazy, compromising side to it.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Sounds like Chelios is trying to blame his lack of management opportunities on his "unfiltered honest talk".

Ace88*

Well his actual role seems confusing. On most teams the President is a guy who basically handles marketing, gladhandles big sponsors, and steps in where there's issues at the top of departments, or inter-departmental.

The Leafs brought in a guy who was also a HoF player for this job to add a veneer of respectability back to the club and now a lot of people here seem to think he is basically running the team to leaving his "mark" on it, but isn't that the GM's job? How is having Shanahan step in and meddle with the team personel decisions any different from Peddie, thus a recipe for disaster?

BTW Shanahan got into the executive role through the NHLPA then at NHL HQ and now MLSE by basically being a political guy. He had to rub shoulders with the people in power, and make the right noises to support them and gain their support. He probably had to do some weasel-ish stuff a long the way when the chips were down, stuff that observers like Chelios or a lot of us would not respect much. Such is politics, there is a very sleazy, compromising side to it.

Sigh. Peddie was an MLSE guy, a businessman. Not even close to what Shanahan is :facepalm:

CalgaryLeaf*

He is the Toronto Maple Leafs President and alternate governor. Peddie had basically what is now Lieweke's job.

I thought Lieweke's was still on the job until next year.

Ace88*

Leiweke is the CEO, not President.

Peddie was CEO and President before hiring Burke to be President.

Nah, Leiweke is currently both CEO and President. Burke was never anything in MLSE itself, he was the President and obviously GM of the Leafs.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Shanny has no experience.....oh wait yes he does!

Chelios has many more issues in his back-round and he is out tossing out stuff about other people. Lots of rumors as to why he left the Habs...read about them. DUI that he got off....was BS. The video can still be found on the internet.

As far as Shanny goes, soon enough he we start making moves that we will be able to judge him for. I do not for a minute believe that Nonis has any authority to trade even a paper clip.

Thus far the Leafs walked away from over paying Bolland under Shanny's watch....so off to a good start.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
He is the Toronto Maple Leafs President and alternate governor. Peddie had basically what is now Lieweke's job.

yes that is literally his job title, but what does he actually do? Is he making player decisions or is he just a figurehead for marketing purposes?

Ace88*

yes that is literally his job title, but what does he actually do? Is he making player decisions or is he just a figurehead for marketing purposes?

Typically a company president's role begins with the fundamental job responsibilities of a manager. They will create, communicate and implement the company's vision/mission and overall direction to go in. He is responsible for pretty much everything that happens in the organization. He will assign tasks to various people, will give his input on new hires or position changes, is the one who attends corporate meetings and conferences, formulates and implements a structured plan to get to where his vision for the company is pointed. He will maintain awareness of both the external and internal competitive landscape, opportunities for expansion, customers, markets, new industry developments and standards, and so forth. The president of any given company usually represents the organization in civic and professional association responsibilities and activities in the local community, province, nation, etc.

It's not as simple as saying "yeah Shanahan comes in to work and does XYZ tasks then goes home." It's a big, complicated job and i promise you the man is working probably 55-60 hours a week.

CalgaryLeaf*

Leiweke is the CEO, not President.

Peddie was CEO and President before hiring Burke to be President.

I never said that he was the president...He hired Shanahan to do that job for the leafs.

He's still technically CEO of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Shanny is a big tough guy. People are afraid of him. It's on his resume. Or sorry that was Burky. Old timers kicked in there for a moment.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Chelios has always hated the Leafs for some reason and now that Shanahan is a Leaf exec now he decided to say these things. Not after leaving the Wings, not after they retired, not after Shanahan replaced Colin Campbell, no. now.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Chelios has always hated the Leafs for some reason and now that Shanahan is a Leaf exec now he decided to say these things. Not after leaving the Wings, not after they retired, not after Shanahan replaced Colin Campbell, no. now.

simple.
man needs to sell his book. link anything hockey to the Leafs boom. talking point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad