Sportsnet: Chelios take a shot at Shanahan

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...anahan-detroit-red-wings-toronto-maple-leafs/

“As for Shanny, we had our issues. There’s no question I’d take Shanny on my team. He’s one of the best teammates I’ve ever had on the ice. He stood up, was a great power forward,†Chelios said.
Shanahan and Chelios spent seven seasons together in Detroit, sharing sips from the Stanley Cup in 2002. The two entered the Hockey Hall of Fame together in 2013.

“The one shot I’d take at Shanny is — you be the judge — if you like politicians, then Shanny’s your guy. If you don’t, well, then you don’t like him. I’ll leave it at that.â€

If you're gonna talk ill of someone, at least have the balls to be specific. This vague nonsense just fosters rumours.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Chelios is calling Shanahan a **** teammate off the ice, apparently.

He doesn't back up his talk, is what I'm reading between the lines.

*I didn't click on the link.*

Kyle Doobas*

Looks like Shanahan pissed in somebody's Honey Nut Chelios

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If we read between the lines, Shanahan is a calculating 2 sided person, in other words Executive material. I prefer the Loyal honest types like Lou Lamorello, but if Chelios is being sincere, and I have no doubt he is. Nonis better watch his back.

Regardless I always loved Chelios, The guy was a warrior on the ice.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
If we read between the lines, Shanahan is a calculating 2 sided person, in other words Executive material. I prefer the Loyal honest types like Lou Lamorello, but if Chelios is being sincere, and I have no doubt he is. Nonis better watch his back.

Nonis wasn't hired by Shanahan, it's only a matter of time before he's canned. It's strange how things worked out, the president didn't hire the GM, and the GM didn't hire the coach. The man who hired Shanahan is leaving too, I don't think I've ever seen an organization operate this way before.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Nonis wasn't hired by Shanahan, it's only a matter of time before he's canned. It's strange how things worked out, the president didn't hire the GM, and the GM didn't hire the coach. The man who hired Shanahan is leaving too, I don't think I've ever seen an organization operate this way before.

I wonder how this team will look in a year, Babcock rumours will be persistent. With a new CEO coming in, maybe Shanahan might want to watch his back also.

A lot of uncertainty with Lieweke leaving.

Ace88*

Of course theonly way to judge the man is by listening a former teammate. Why think for yourself when irrelevance can do it for you!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Man - this board needs a spock eyebrow.

A: Shanahan hasn't done anything at the executive level to show that he's "Executive" or "Loyal

B: Shanahan learned at the knee of Lamorello. So. there's that

C: I don't think Lamorello is honest. Hello, cap circumvention of the Nth degree, anyone.

D: Shanahan doesn't owe anyone beneath him anything. he owes MLSE the best people he feels is best to do the job of creating the best program possible starting from the ECHL to the main show, having great drafting, great developing, great compete, and challenging for the club. The end.

You're just grumpy because you don't think he can do the job because you feel he has no 'real' experience.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
If he wasn't a "politician" the NHL would not have hired him in the first place and I doubt TL would have made him president of TML either. He would then either have ended up as a colorful TV host making comments about everything or nothing at all like all the other honest guys.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...anahan-detroit-red-wings-toronto-maple-leafs/

If you're gonna talk ill of someone, at least have the balls to be specific. This vague nonsense just fosters rumours.

I doubt he wants to call him out for stealing Craig Janneys wife publicly. As it probably would embarrass Janney too. Still a shady thing to do, but its not like he's the only Hall of Fame quality player to do some really low-class stuff off the ice ex Martin Brodeur.

Last edited:

Number13

May 21, 2007
It's very politician like to say something vague like that about someone. He's probably jealous Shanny has a better job than him.

CalgaryLeaf*

Some of the best business leaders on earth are cut-throat and two faced like a politician. Often times it's the way the game is played.

That being said all people have a good side and a bad side...It's called being human.

CalgaryLeaf*

How would people describe Brian Burke?..Many would call Burkie a loud mouthed attention seeking ***hole.

These people running hockey teams aren't saints.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Man - this board needs a spock eyebrow.

A: Shanahan hasn't done anything at the executive level to show that he's "Executive" or "Loyal

He canned Loiselle, Poulin, and the assistant coaches.

B: Shanahan learned at the knee of Lamorello. So. there's that

Played under him, never learned a thing about managing a team though.

C: I don't think Lamorello is honest. Hello, cap circumvention of the Nth degree, anyone.

Cap circumvention is not being dishonest, BTW the NHL overturned that.

D: Shanahan doesn't owe anyone beneath him anything. he owes MLSE the best people he feels is best to do the job of creating the best program possible starting from the ECHL to the main show, having great drafting, great developing, great compete, and challenging for the club. The end.

You're just grumpy because you don't think he can do the job because you feel he has no 'real' experience.

You are right on, on the last paragraph. Not so much on A, B, C.

D. I agree with you there, he can do what he wants, but again he has zero experience running an organization so how much faith do we as fans have in him?

I remember when Shanahan played, he never stood out to me as a player(and I know he had some great numbers) or person in interviews. He was tough and fairless as a player, this is the best thing I could say about him as a player. He never striked me to have the aura of say a Sakic, Sundin, or Yzerman. He is one of Bettman's boys, read into that what you may. A man a quitter CEO picked with zero front office experience to Lead the richest hockey franchise in the NHL today. One with history and the most loyal fan base.

I think we deserve better, Shanahan has as much connection to the Leafs as Brett Hull does. Hard to be connected or have any confidence to a guy that has no track record, that never even wore the Maple Leaf.

Thanks Daisy, this needed to be said.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
so leaf fans are hating on Shanahan now? good grief

I don't hate him, if you are referring to me with that comment.

I don't have much faith in him as President. Why, he has never done a thing that required running a hockey team, his only claim to fame was he was pretty good player and he was one of Bettman's boys for the NHL.

That's not hate, that is the truth.

Ace88*

I don't hate him, if you are referring to me with that comment.

I don't have much faith in him as President. Why, he has never done a thing that required running a hockey team, his only claim to fame was he was pretty good player and he was one of Bettman's boys for the NHL.

That's not hate, that is the truth.

The best executives in history were rookies at one point. Dont be so salty, it's unbecoming.

If your current boss felt the same way you did you wouldnt have a job. Chill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad