Sportsnet: Chelios take a shot at Shanahan

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Sounds brilliant. Take the time to ask questions, learn on the job and solicit as much information as you can to be successful; meanwhile he is responsible for the most profitable NHL team, that has made the playoffs once in 14 years, and there are hundreds of millions of dollars at stake for shareholders and the entire NHL with respect to the success of the Leafs, and the absolute importance of the Leafs doing well due to the Canadian dollar, and how they will impact the cap next year. But that's okay, learn as you go, why should one of the most profitable franchises in sports expect to have an executive with any form of experience. Completely moronic.

Well, as you said, how can we trust a rookie to keep up with all of our obvious success?

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Good I hope Shanny is a two-faced backstabbing *******. At least he will understand how the game is played at that level.

It is the only way anything will get done. No point throwing anything but a shark into a shark tank.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
If we read between the lines, Shanahan is a calculating 2 sided person, in other words Executive material. I prefer the Loyal honest types like Lou Lamorello, but if Chelios is being sincere, and I have no doubt he is. Nonis better watch his back.

Regardless I always loved Chelios, The guy was a warrior on the ice.

who cares chelly was no choir boy ,stay in hollywood chelli ,everybody made millions from their time in detroit,why the hell is chelly writing a book anyways ,cant wait to hear what he says about brett hull .another jeremy roenick with a few cups ,i bet chelly never once mentioned giving back the final 5-10 mill he earned when all he was doing was setting up his chilli joints :yo:

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Chelios is Jealous and mad that Shanny went to work for who he considers the enemy.

MJALLTHEWAY

Oct 10, 2008
He's saying he's two-faced. He will tell you what you want to hear to your face while driving the knife into your back, making deals to get ahead and stroking his own ego.

I'm not sure if it's true because I don't know Shanahan, but that's what he's insinuating.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
entitled?
why? because he worked in the league office for five years or however long it was working with 30 gms, having the oppportunity to actually see what they all did, from an angle not most people have the luxury or the ability most see. 30 different people's point of views.

holy moses.

you also know who worked under other execs? Joe Niuewendyk, and he didn't hot at all. You know who won cups and suck at their job? a good handful of GMs currently unemployed, or somewhere else trying to fix someone else's mistakes.

Shanahan retired Nov 2009, he was unemployed for month when he was handed NHL's Vice President of Hockey and Business Development, then succeeded Colin Campbell as NHL's chief player disciplinarian, then was hand picked for the job as The Maple Leafs president and alternate governor.

Sounds like he has had it pretty easy finding work. Again, I do not know what his qualifications are for overseeing a NHL Franchise, but I do think it is healthy to ask questions, and not just buy into the notion this guy will get us to the holy grail of hockey.

He's had an easy road to where he has gotten from where I sit. Some would even say entitled path to where he is now. Obviously he is good at playing politics to move through the ranks so quickly.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Chelios is Jealous and mad that Shanny went to work for who he considers the enemy.

Chelios is saying some really stupid borderline illegal stuff here. Meanwhile Shanny is cozying up to the same people that will make him a major player in the league post-retirement.

Who is the smart guy here?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Chelios is saying some really stupid borderline illegal stuff here. Meanwhile Shanny is cozying up to the same people that will make him a major player in the league post-retirement.

Who is the smart guy here?

Shanahan is working "post-retirement" because he chooses to, Chelios chooses not to.
Neither would work because they need the money.

It has nothing to do with "cozying up" to the right people.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
If we read between the lines, Shanahan is a calculating 2 sided person, in other words Executive material. I prefer the Loyal honest types like Lou Lamorello, but if Chelios is being sincere, and I have no doubt he is. Nonis better watch his back.

Regardless I always loved Chelios, The guy was a warrior on the ice.

Lou has been an NHL executive for how many years? :laugh:

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Shanahan is working "post-retirement" because he chooses to, Chelios chooses not to.
Neither would work because they need the money.

It has nothing to do with "cozying up" to the right people.

Lol at the Executive level that is pretty much all it is. Cozying up to the rest of the alpha narcissists and show them you are a guy they can work with.

Chelios couldn't get a job scrubbing floors for the NHL as long as Bettman is alive.

Stealing Janney wife is a pretty alpha move that would earn him respect with that crowd.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Rookies that put in their dues assisting and learning from other Execs. Yzerman earned his job under Holland, he learned and apprenticed under Holland for years as did Jim Nill.

Shanahan skipped all that by being handed the President's job without putting any dues into running a hockey team. Smells abit of entitlement to me.

What?

Yzerman went from player to the position of Vice-Pres and alternate governor in 2006, in 2007 GM for Team Canada, then 2009 GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning

Shanahan was involved as a player rep and eventual executive board member with the NHLPA for 18 years and organized the so called Shanahan summit which was a big step forward to ending the 2004/05 lockout and that committee still exists today as the so called competition board which regulates rules changes in the game

he led the movement to have Goodenow removed as well as his cronies Pink and Hargrove and then eventually Paul Kelly because of the way he was hired

upon his retirement in 2009 he was hired as NHL Vice President of hockey and business development and eventually tabbed to take over Campbells job in 2011 a thankless task which he did for 3 years

no experience?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Lol at the Executive level that is pretty much all it is. Cozying up to the rest of the alpha narcissists and show them you are a guy they can work with.

Chelios couldn't get a job scrubbing floors for the NHL as long as Bettman is alive.

Stealing Janney wife is a pretty alpha move that would earn him respect with that crowd.

You completely missed the point. Not even close.

Last edited:

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
You completely missed the point. Not even close.

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

I agree neither of these guys need the money. I would argue Chelios still values his freedom however so the things he said about Bettman was a stupid thing to do.

Shanny is a different animal entirely. He seems to have an appetite for political games and empire building that have nothing to do with money.

I don't know how this fits with your point that appears to be all motivations derive from material wealth and the actions of the rich are inscrutable?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What?

Yzerman went from player to the position of Vice-Pres and alternate governor in 2006, in 2007 GM for Team Canada, then 2009 GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning

Shanahan was involved as a player rep and eventual executive board member with the NHLPA for 18 years and organized the so called Shanahan summit which was a big step forward to ending the 2004/05 lockout and that committee still exists today as the so called competition board which regulates rules changes in the game

he led the movement to have Goodenow removed as well as his cronies Pink and Hargrove and then eventually Paul Kelly because of the way he was hired

upon his retirement in 2009 he was hired as NHL Vice President of hockey and business development and eventually tabbed to take over Campbells job in 2011 a thankless task which he did for 3 years

no experience?

Yzerman apprenticed 4 years under Ken Holland, as a Vice President. He also gained experience as GM for Team Canada in 2007 and 2010, before accepting the top job with Tampa Bay.

He paid his dues to get where he is today, and that learning experience and track record, gave him great insight of assembling his 2nd gold medal Olympics team.

I don't see Shanahan's relative easy rise comparable at all.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
What we have here is a failure to communicate.

I agree neither of these guys need the money. I would argue Chelios still values his freedom however so the things he said about Bettman was a stupid thing to do.

Shanny is a different animal entirely. He seems to have an appetite for political games and empire building that have nothing to do with money.

I don't know how this fits with your point that appears to be all motivations derive from material wealth and the actions of the rich are inscrutable?

The point is very simple.

One chooses to work, the other doesn't.

Ace88*

What?

no experience?

lol owned. thank you for posting what i was too lazy to look up :laugh:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
One guy is the President of one of the biggest sports franchises in North America.

The other runs a sports bar in downtown Detroit.

You make it sound like he's behind the bar serving drinks.

I don't see the relevance of what these guy do once they stop playing. Unless they have really messed up their finances, none of them need to work. I certainly wouldn't.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
I never heard that before. Interesting.

I heard of similar instances that disrupted the Leafs locker room in the past involving Gary Leeman and Al Iafrate in the 80's, and Shayne Corson and Alexander Mogilny about 12 years ago. Not sure if the rumors were valid though.

it wasn't just janney.

but there's a lot more like lindros and brind'amour,

and the one that created the worst trade in leaf history, russ courtnall for john kordic.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Pretty much everyone who rises to the upper ranks of large organizations is a politician. You don't get promoted to the most senior, coveted spots on talent alone, you must be able make friends with the right people, cast your actions in a positive light, subtly take credit for "big wins" and avoid blame for losses, etc.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Yzerman apprenticed 4 years under Ken Holland, as a Vice President. He also gained experience as GM for Team Canada in 2007 and 2010, before accepting the top job with Tampa Bay.

He paid his dues to get where he is today, and that learning experience and track record, gave him great insight of assembling his 2nd gold medal Olympics team.

I don't see Shanahan's relative easy rise comparable at all.

so is your issue just that he didn't study under Holland? or Lamourello full time wearing a suit? the fact that both Holland and Lamourello both have said that Shanahan spent significant with them? Same with Rutherford?

Once again, there are many ways to learn or apprentice. You keep throwing out "he was handed." "it was easy"

let's play it this way:

Shanahan organized the Shanahan Summit where a lot of what we see in the game now derived from that summit. Many players, media pundits, and those around the league have stated a lot of the ideas came from Shanahan himself and some say that he's a key part of how the game is played now

Which seems to me that he shows incredible foresight - or least is open to expand his way of thinking and not just be stuck in the past. Something that has crippled this franchise for decades. By people who have studied under other people.

Gary Bettman may be many things, but i doubt very much that he, being in charge of a-multi billion dollar business would simply just hand someone who wasn't qualified or showed the initiative for the game to place him in the the Hockey/Business development department. OR if he wasn't savvy enough to deal with 30 GMs and create new rules (ie: you have to wait 48 hours to challenge a decision) or even showing the videos to explain to fans, and other people why it was wrong. (regardless of how you feel about the decision)

rumours were out there when the Rangers/Leafs were both vying for Shanahan to be president of their respective clubs was that he was actually being groomed to be part of bigger and better things in the NHL office in regards to the commissioner track. so if he's good enough to run the entire league, i'm pretty sure he's good enough to run the financial juggernaught team of the league.

i find it hilarious that Shanahan is 'handed' things, but everyone else 'worked' for things.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
so is your issue just that he didn't study under Holland? or Lamourello full time wearing a suit? the fact that both Holland and Lamourello both have said that Shanahan spent significant with them? Same with Rutherford?

Once again, there are many ways to learn or apprentice. You keep throwing out "he was handed." "it was easy"

let's play it this way:

Shanahan organized the Shanahan Summit where a lot of what we see in the game now derived from that summit. Many players, media pundits, and those around the league have stated a lot of the ideas came from Shanahan himself and some say that he's a key part of how the game is played now

Which seems to me that he shows incredible foresight - or least is open to expand his way of thinking and not just be stuck in the past. Something that has crippled this franchise for decades. By people who have studied under other people.

Gary Bettman may be many things, but i doubt very much that he, being in charge of a-multi billion dollar business would simply just hand someone who wasn't qualified or showed the initiative for the game to place him in the the Hockey/Business development department. OR if he wasn't savvy enough to deal with 30 GMs and create new rules (ie: you have to wait 48 hours to challenge a decision) or even showing the videos to explain to fans, and other people why it was wrong. (regardless of how you feel about the decision)

rumours were out there when the Rangers/Leafs were both vying for Shanahan to be president of their respective clubs was that he was actually being groomed to be part of bigger and better things in the NHL office in regards to the commissioner track. so if he's good enough to run the entire league, i'm pretty sure he's good enough to run the financial juggernaught team of the league.

i find it hilarious that Shanahan is 'handed' things, but everyone else 'worked' for things.

We disagree, there is nothing more to add to this discussion. If you cannot see how Shanahan was handed a Vice President role with the NHL straight from retiring as a player to being handed the President job of the Toronto Maple Leafs with zero Team Executive experience, we can't have a conversation.

I am not sure why you are defending he earned his jobs. Let's just call it as it is, it's not like he was Yzerman who put in 4 years under Holland, paid his dues assembling 2 Team Canada teams before earning the TB job.

TheThrill81*

Rookies with some form of experience at the NHL level, assistant manager, scouting etc. Shanahan doesn't have a lick of experience in a managerial role at the NHL level.

Well then it's a good thing Shanny is more Presidential than Managerial, eh? ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad