Chelios: No veteran free agent wanted to play for Babcock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major19

Mar 9, 2008
Oh yay, more goal posts moving

Next up is: well heck, I'd play for ANYONE if they gave me $6mil!
!

Greening and Hainsey are nothing to hang your hat on and the Leafs are probably the only team to give Marleau a third year.

Chelly forgot more about hockey than any of us will ever know. So pump the breaks there champ.

Is anyone supposed to be impressed? Greening is an AHLer. Hainsey is 36 years old and got a raise because he played for the cup winning team and Marleau just got grossly overpaid at 6.2m/year for a 25 goals/45pts guy that will continue declining for his 38-40 years old seasons.

But id say every older veteran free agent would sign that deal Marleau was offered though. Tough to turn down that much money. Not everyday a 38 year old is offered an amount that makes him the 25th highest paid player in the NHL next year

That didn't take long

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
But id say every older veteran free agent would sign that deal Marleau was offered though. Tough to turn down that much money. Not everyday a 38 year old is offered an amount that makes him the 25th highest paid player in the NHL next year

:laugh: Knew this would be the logic.

What about a 36 year old Moore? I love it as a Leaf fan. Leafs were the NHL's retirement home. Moskoka 5 type players who signed big deals and coasted knowing they had a spot.

Now we avoid the Versteeg, Komisarek, Armstrong type players who just came here for a paycheck. Only if they improve the team do they get a spot.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
That didn't take long

yup it didn't... I was waiting for someone to use Marleau as an example why Chelios was wrong

don't get me wrong, I love the fact that they brought in a veteran like him, but I just cant wrap my head around the money and 3 years. I would have been extremely excited if it was about 2 years at 4 mill per.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Lol...people are going to try and use every excuse in the book to try and back Chelios B.S claim. But nothing changes the fact that Marleau left a team and city he play for for 20 years to come to Toronto and a team coached by Babcock.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
yup it didn't... I was waiting for someone to use Marleau as an example why Chelios was wrong

don't get me wrong, I love the fact that they brought in a veteran like him, but I just cant wrap my head around the money and 3 years. I would have been extremely excited if it was about 2 years at 4 mill per.

Marleau can still play. I hate veterans over 35 who are useless most of the time (Shane Doan is a perfect example).

Why does money come into play? Chelios never said "No veteran free agent wanted to play for Babcock unless you pay him X dollars" he said they don't want to play for him, period.

Chelios should just shut up now. He's mad because Babcock didn't give him ice time when he didn't deserve it.

Major19

Mar 9, 2008

Would be even better if it was vet's min

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Lol...people are going to try and use every excuse in the book to try and back Chelios B.S claim. But nothing changes the fact that Marleau left a team and city he play for for 20 years to come to Toronto and a team coached by Babcock.
They are going to make excuses when we start winning cups too

Only reason Babcock came to Toronto was because no other team was willing to pay him so much :sarcasm:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I disagree I don't think a guy like Marleau signs if he doesn't think this team has a chance to win a championshipl soon.

To me the Marleau signing says 1 thing, the perception of the Leafs franchise is changing

they are now seen as a team on the verge of being a contender

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Let's face it, Chelois has a grudge against Babcock and thinks everyone will feel the same he did. Chelios liked Babcock fine until he started to become a healthy scratch. But the guy was in his mid 40's and a shadow of his former self. He just could not accept that and instead came up with this stupid "Babcock Hates Me" scenario.

Chelios just hung on for too long. If Babs hated him, they wouldn't have kept resigning him.

Kuhta

Dec 8, 2006
Helsinki
Well, Marleau and Hainsey are not a good case for Babcock. Two washed up UFAs almost at 40 years old. These signings do not wipe away what Chelios said. Especially as Leafs overpaid both of these signings.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Well, Marleau and Hainsey are not a good case for Babcock. Two washed up UFAs almost at 40 years old. These signings do not wipe away what Chelios said. Especially as Leafs overpaid both of these signings.

In what world is Hainsey "washed-up"? He just played the second most minutes in the playoffs of anyone on the cup champs.

And Marleau scored 27 goals. Not bad at all.

Both fit the exact criteria Chelios was talking about.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
lol

Chelios: No UFA veterans want to play for Babcock

*Leafs sign UFA veterans*

HFboards: Not those UFA veterans!

R3DDRAG0N

Beaver Mafia
Aug 25, 2013
Winnipeg

Money can make people do strange things.....I don't think it had anything to do with who the coach was, it simply came down to the fact that your team paid more than anyone else. T.O. Fans can twist it to fit their own narrative . Bottom line money talks......

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
lol

Chelios: No UFA veterans want to play for Babcock

*Leafs sign UFA veterans*

HFboards: Not those UFA veterans!

I always loved Roennick's INSANE take on Chelios being scratched at age 45 by Babcock" "Babcock Hates American Players!". Yeah, that must be it...

HF Leaf-haters trying to spin this are hilarious.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Toronto proved guys will go there but at a premium price, pretty much like anywhere else.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
R3DDRAG0N;134315461[B said:
]Money can make people do strange things.....I don't think it had anything to do with who the coach was, it simply came down to the fact that your team paid more than anyone else[/B]. T.O. Fans can twist it to fit their own narrative . Bottom line money talks......

Here's my problem with this explanation: The "Examples" Chelios gave (Like Ryan Suter) are guys who did not sign with Detroit but took the most money elsewhere (Suter was not getting a 13 year, near 100 million contract with Detroit.). Yet Chelios claimed it was because Babcock was coach.

Now you're making the same money claim about Marleau signing in Toronto.

It's ALWAYS about money. Chelios was clearly stating under no circumstances (Including money) would a veteran UFA sign with a Babcock coached team. He has been proven wrong.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Marleau left a team he's been with for 20 years that was in the finals last year and uprooted his family to a whole other country. But it's not important and is probably only because of that 3rd year

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Marleau left a team he's been with for 20 years that was in the finals last year and uprooted his family to a whole other country. But it's not important and is probably only because of that 3rd year

That's HF for you in relation to anything Leaf related.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

So he chose Toronto over the rumored Anaheim, Dallas, NYR and San Jose. How can that be? It's not possible to choose media-infested Toronto over Hollywood, the sun, Manhattan and the ocean. Must've given him a 7 year deal to overcompensate.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014

It's important to remember that Babcock has been a massive fan of Marleau's for a decade. Him and Rick Nash have seemed to be Babcock's two favorite players that he could never get a hand on.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
It's important to remember that Babcock has been a massive fan of Marleau's for a decade. Him and Rick Nash have seemed to be Babcock's two favorite players that he could never get a hand on.

Big guys who can skate, play the PK and score..... thats the dream for a lot of coaches.

Between 2008 - 2012 Rick Nash was a scary scary man. Wasted in Columbus but absolutely tore up the Worlds

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Chelios is and always will be a garbage human. Ever since seeing him shoo away a bunch of 13yr old girls, who wanted an autograph - he's been nothing more than a POS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad