Chelios: No veteran free agent wanted to play for Babcock

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Certainly had nothing to do with the fact that no one was allowed to make more than Lidstrom.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
That's good news for Leafs to be honest. Veteran free agents and players are so ****ing overrated for their experience.

Explain to me how Igninla helped any team since he's left Calgary? The Leafs used to get plenty of veteran free agents for their playoff runs and besides Gary Roberts, every other one was a bust.

I'd rather target younger players than veterans any day of the week. Veterans have one thing going for them...their name and reputation. If you're over 35, please don't play for the Leafs, we don't want you anyways.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Chris Chelios and Mike Babcock never got along. I remember Jeremy Roenick speaking of this. Rumours are the veterans like Zetterberg and Datsyuk were very unhappy with Babs at the end and wanted a change. With that said, Daniel Alfredsson signed with Detroit. Mike Modano, I know he's a Michigan guy, but he signed with Detroit. Marian Hossa, Stephen Weiss, and even Todd Bertuzzi returned for a second stint with Babcock/Detroit.

Mike Commodore, Brendan Shanahan, and Chris Chelios are guys we personally heard of having issues with Babcock. One of them just signed him. I think guys would want less of Detroit too with Blashill being such a downgrade. A significant downgrade. If anything, I think players would want to play for the best coach (Babcock).

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I wounder if this affect their chances to sign that top 4 RHD they need on the free agent market?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Chris Chelios and Mike Babcock never got along. I remember Jeremy Roenick speaking of this. Rumours are the veterans like Zetterberg and Datsyuk were very unhappy with Babs at the end and wanted a change. With that said, Daniel Alfredsson signed with Detroit. Mike Modano, I know he's a Michigan guy, but he signed with Detroit. Marian Hossa, Stephen Weiss, and even Todd Bertuzzi returned for a second stint with Babcock/Detroit.

Mike Commodore, Brendan Shanahan, and Chris Chelios are guys we personally heard of having issues with Babcock. One of them just signed him. I think guys would want less of Detroit too with Blashill being such a downgrade. A significant downgrade. If anything, I think players would want to play for the best coach (Babcock).

I'm not going to say Babcock isnt better than Blashill but I dont know how significant it was. Babcock did FA with a much better Detroit roster than Blashill has. The leafs are packed with top 10 picks and he has them as a bubble playoff team. Thats solid from where TO was, but its not like hes putting on a JackAdams performance there

I know Babcock wins with Canada, but is he really that great compared to most solid NHL coaches? I think guys like Quennville, Boudreau and others are at least on the same level as him. I wouldnt say hes definitely the best coach

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
There will be repercussions for the way Lou and Babcock treat vets and we are already starting to see it. As Lou continues to grow Robidas island, and Babcock keeps sending him travelelrs, vets become extremely worrisome about going to Toronto. We already saw some vets reject trades there this TDL

I dont think itll be that much of an issue because vets FA tend to be overpaid and underperform. But I do think theyll miss out on a pretty good one downt he road because theyll veto a trade or not sign there. Successful teams figure out how to utilize vets (Hawks have done it for a while), so thisll be one avenue likely cut off from Leafs in future

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
That's good news for Leafs to be honest. Veteran free agents and players are so ****ing overrated for their experience.

Explain to me how Igninla helped any team since he's left Calgary? The Leafs used to get plenty of veteran free agents for their playoff runs and besides Gary Roberts, every other one was a bust.

I'd rather target younger players than veterans any day of the week. Veterans have one thing going for them...their name and reputation. If you're over 35, please don't play for the Leafs, we don't want you anyways.

:laugh:

come on bro vets are way smarter at playing the game why do you think we blow so many leads

its better that we dont sign UFA to stupid contracts though

matthews isnt as rawly skilled as nylander or marner but he is so smart at playing the game he looks like a vet

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I remember Scotty Bowman was ridiculously hard to play for too, but the players would forgive him because they'd win.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
For being such a hard *** on veterans, I'd love an explanation on Dan Cleary. Because I've never seen anything like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Chelios is older than Babcock, and was 44 and a shell of himself when Babs joined the team. I wonder if many of their issues stem from an, at the time 21 year veteran of the league, questioning the methods and opinions of a younger coach and/or thinking he has more left in the tank than he actually did.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I'm not going to say Babcock isnt better than Blashill but I dont know how significant it was. Babcock did FA with a much better Detroit roster than Blashill has. The leafs are packed with top 10 picks and he has them as a bubble playoff team. Thats solid from where TO was, but its not like hes putting on a JackAdams performance there

I know Babcock wins with Canada, but is he really that great compared to most solid NHL coaches? I think guys like Quennville, Boudreau and others are at least on the same level as him. I wouldnt say hes definitely the best coach

I think, to some degree, Babcock got spoiled by the 2008 Red Wings. That was pretty much the perfect NHL team to implement his system and style, with a bunch of the top players (Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Rafalski, Franzen, etc.) at or near the height of their powers. It was such a well-oiled machine and he's tried to run basically the same system that team perfected ever since, but no one (other than the Canadian national team since it's totally stacked with talent and depth) can do it at remotely the same level. If you want to see "Babcock hockey" at its absolute zenith, re-watch games 1 and 2 of the 2008 Stanley Cup finals.

Unhealthy Scratch

Auston 4:16
Mar 15, 2016
That's good news for Leafs to be honest.
1-_Lr5tq7f_S1_Na_Tey_V4df_Kfl_Q.jpg

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Well, they got a new arena and new coach so now they can load up on veteran free agents next season and get back in the playoffs.

Sounds like a great plan eh?

As another fan stated, if Babs hurts Toronto's ability to sign veteran UFA's we're totally cool (relieved) to hear it, that **** has never worked here again to note the other fan outside of Gary Roberts and maybe another guy or two.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
It's an open secret that most players hate Babcock. His issues with Commodore and Chelios is infamous, Filpulla and Hudler couldn't wait to get away from him, D and Z were done with him towards the end of his tenure, you have the way Corrado was treated in Toronto this year. Everyone expect the Wings to panic over him leaving yet no one cared. You need to be Cleary/Abdelkader/Hyman then he gives you infinite leash.

He's a ridiculously overrated coach who rode the coattails of a top 5 alltime D and a ton of other star players yet still underachieved with a Detroit team that was better than the Chicago squads that won 3 cups, and has been a 2nd round exit or worse coach since the Wings core peaked 8 years ago.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

I think, to some degree, Babcock got spoiled by the 2008 Red Wings. That was pretty much the perfect NHL team to implement his system and style, with a bunch of the top players (Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Rafalski, Franzen, etc.) at or near the height of their powers. It was such a well-oiled machine and he's tried to run basically the same system that team perfected ever since, but no one (other than the Canadian national team since it's totally stacked with talent and depth) can do it at remotely the same level. If you want to see "Babcock hockey" at its absolute zenith, re-watch games 1 and 2 of the 2008 Stanley Cup finals.

As a Wings fan, it's amusing to see how much the narrative has changed about Babcock since he left the Wings for the Leafs.

BlueWhite

Feb 12, 2014
Toronto
1. Stephen Weiss
2. Jordin Tootoo
3. Marian Hossa
4. Brad Richards
5. Chris Osgood
6. Carlo Colaiacovo
7. Daniel Cleary
8. Mike Commodore
9. Dominik Hasek
10. Mike Modano
11. Todd Bertuzzi
12. Andreas Lilja
13 Brian Rafalski
14. Mikael Samuelsson
15. Dallas Drake

All free agent signings when Babcock was coach of Detroit.So it looks like the Wings no longer employ the best and brightest in their front office.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I remember Scotty Bowman was ridiculously hard to play for too, but the players would forgive him because they'd win.

They also would forgive him while explaining he was really doing what was best for him and them. What sticks out here that doesn't scan with Bowman is they still don't like him years on. Filppula still wants nothing to do with him all these years later. Chelios still has a disparaging view point on him near two years away from him.

What is becoming more clear on his exit is that he had lots of people that were far from fans of his around the Detroit organization. Detroit should have probably won more cups in the 06-12 era having one is fairly disappointing considering how good they were.

Babcock has his pluses though and Toronto can move forward with that in mind. I don't think he is a guy veterans are going to like and I do think he eventually wears out his welcome with even the players that grew up under him. We will see where it goes, he generally delivers to expectations with what he is given. They have some nice building blocks there, just need to figure out the back-end. But I wouldn't expect that fix to come in free agency.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
Babcock will like you if you play smart, hard and compete, in other words, do your job. Chellios was always so entitled. Yes, Babcock is hard to play for and some players won't like him or his style, but others like his style and want to play for him. Bottom line is this: If they're winning, players will want to come.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
As a Wings fan, it's amusing to see how much the narrative has changed about Babcock since he left the Wings for the Leafs.

There were some pointing out the Barry Trotz, Joel Quenneville, and Claude Julian got the better of him in series. Heck he had trouble with his old understudy in McLellan seemed to get the better of matchups for a couple years as well.

There were several of us before the end that were ready to turn the page on Babcock. Hoping that a new voice might rescue the direction of the team. I know because I was one of them. What is happening in Detroit was going to happen if he was extended, I firmly believe that.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
There will be repercussions for the way Lou and Babcock treat vets and we are already starting to see it. As Lou continues to grow Robidas island, and Babcock keeps sending him travelelrs, vets become extremely worrisome about going to Toronto. We already saw some vets reject trades there this TDL

I dont think itll be that much of an issue because vets FA tend to be overpaid and underperform. But I do think theyll miss out on a pretty good one downt he road because theyll veto a trade or not sign there. Successful teams figure out how to utilize vets (Hawks have done it for a while), so thisll be one avenue likely cut off from Leafs in future

Ok, I'm sorry but I don't see the problem. What is the message? If you come here, you need to earn your spot? Isn't that a good thing? Why would they want vets to come here if they don't want to be here and just want to go through the motions until they retire?

This is a good thing. If a vet comes here, they are here because they want to compete. What is the other solution? Play Brooks Laich and other useless vets over the kids? Then how can you preach about accountability.

See: Brian Boyle. He didn't step in and just sit back. He came here and earned his spot. He improved the team. Those are the vets we want here. Washed up stars have no place on this team.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
There were some pointing out the Barry Trotz, Joel Quenneville, and Claude Julian got the better of him in series. Heck he had trouble with his old understudy in McLellan seemed to get the better of matchups for a couple years as well.

There were several of us before the end that were ready to turn the page on Babcock. I know because I was one of them.

You must be so happy now then.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

There were several of us before the end that were ready to turn the page on Babcock. Hoping that a new voice might rescue the direction of the team. I know because I was one of them. What is happening in Detroit was going to happen if he was extended, I firmly believe that.

Don't get me wrong, I think it was time for him to go as well. 10 years is a long time, especially for a coach who rides his players as hard as Babcock does.

But now that he's the Leafs coach I see a lot more comments how what he did in Anaheim was purely because of Giguere, how he should've won more Cups because he had Lidstrom, how anyone could win with the international teams he's coached, and all sorts of revisionist history about players who've left.

For someone to even allude to Babcock not being significantly better than Blashill is pretty funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad