Chelios: No veteran free agent wanted to play for Babcock

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Sorry *since 2012. Slipped a year going off the top of my head. Hmm so they stopped liking him right around the time that he was expected to continue delivering a contender with a roster that more and more mediocre by the year.

He definitely has some very frustrating traits that could definitely be seen as flaws, but the only people that would hold is post shortened season results in Detroit as a black mark against his record are Wings fans lying to themselves about the quality of those rosters - and by extension some of their current players

A minority didn't like him after he got upset by Edmonton. About half didn't like him after being out coached by San Jose and Nashville when they were still contenders somewhat. Everybody didn't suddenly hate him cause the wings were bad

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
They didn't strike out on Stamkos, he just didn't want to leave Tampa. They never got an opportunity with him. Sutet and Parise were the big ones under Babcock.

The Leafs were the only team Stamkos met with BTW. So they didn't do that badly.
And how do we know Suter was offered 13 years by Detroit? That deal he got in Minnesota was crazy. Chelios does not provide info that he got as good or better offer in Detroit.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Good coach but he does come off as an arrogant dick. Wouldn't be surprised in the least if true or largely true.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
People make or seem like we'd be better off if we still had Carlyle or Horachek. Maybe Babs isn't the best coach in the league but he's a hell of an improvement over the last bunch of coaches we've had behind the bench. There's one best coach (whoever you think that might be doesn't really matter), not every team can have him at once.

Well said. Sorry for the blanket accusation. There are *some* Detroit fans that seem to be in denial and perfectly willing to scapegoat Babs.

Carlyle and Babs have the same amount of Stanley Cups. Which is kind of a driving point. A lot of the issues you get with Babcock is that the legend doesn't match the man. There were things about Babcock that were cropping up a while ago.

People can get into revisionist history or whatever else they think is happening, but not everyone quite understands or reports to the alter of worship for Babcock. I get Canadians because of Team Canada, but I have watched him get worked by other coaches in the NHL. I have watched him blow 3-1 and 3-2 series leads where he couldn't find the matchups, made wrong calls. I mean if we are going to crown the guy as one of the greatest ever I expected more return and didn't have any problem saying that early on, well before his departure.

Babcock delivers to expectations by in large. He has a consistent brand and thought process. He isn't this savant he is made out to be. If you give him the best hockey team in the world for a couple of weeks he will win. You give him the most talented team in the NHL he will make a deep run. You give him an average playoff team and he will go to the playoffs. You give him the worst team in hockey and he finishes with the worst record. There is a lot to be said for that, consistency is absolutely huge in pro sports and Babcock has that in spades. But when you're going to compare a guy to Scotty Bowman, keep in mind in front people that watched Bowman for a decent stretch of time.... Um no that is a bad idea.

I don't think Mike Babcock was nearly as good after McLellan left his side. That was a big blow, I think he was the one assistant Babcock has had that could talk him out of stuff with certain players and was right there X & O's with him. Babcock is a tireless worker though, so maybe he can improve with the Leafs. Giving him talent to grind into harder workers is one of his specialties. Unfortunately without a #1 D I cannot see the Leafs reaching truly great team status, which means he will be getting handed an average playoff team. How long into the first and second round exits does Toronto start to pick up on these? I don't know but I am guessing it won't be too long.

The roster isn't great. But every once in a while someone will make the statement of imagine where the Wings would be with Babcock. My feeling is a very similar place, which is to say this guy isn't midas and I am a little tired of hearing about him being that because he wins gold medals with team Canada. One cup during his time in Detroit wasn't really great, that is under performance given the rosters he had especially for his first seven years.

You want a fun example not talked about a lot. Byslma made the adjustment to deeper center breakouts for the Pens in the 09 finals, routinely got the matchups he wanted. I mean we all treat Byslma as the town idiot, but he rammed Jordan Staal down Mike Babcock's throat to a Stanley Cup. Letting Malkin and Staal carry the Pens load while Crosby took a back seat. Injuries and scheduling certainly hurt the Wings a ton as well, but that is Dan Byslma making an adjustment and unburying himself from a 0-2 hole at the expense of Mike Babcock, who couldn't come up with an answer in four out of the next five games....

Last edited:

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Babcock is an incredible coach, a man in total control with a plan and a vision. Truly exceptional and inspiring, I liked Chelios but the man was 46 and trying to hang on against 25 year olds.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The Leafs were the only team Stamkos met with BTW. So they didn't do that badly.
And how do we know Suter was offered 13 years by Detroit? That deal he got in Minnesota was crazy. Chelios does not provide info that he got as good or better offer in Detroit.

They reported the Detroit offer in the Detroit media at the time. They were shy of Minnesota's offer with I think their last offer being around 90 million, but heavily indicated they would have matched.

They actually ridiculously low-balled Parise, which was probably their bigger problem. It happened, lord knows in years to come Wings fans will be praying Trouba or Werenski will come back home. Toronto fans often pine for the local vet to come back. It happens they lost and Minny got the hometown thing to happen in a way that any region that produces a lot of quality players wants. Detroit fans should get that we are one of them.

I think Chelios feels some sting because Suter was believed a heavy lean, rumors about him looking at houses and picking up his new car in Detroit. Also Chelios smiled at a presser and said he was going Badger hunting on the run into Free agency, he was about to use his Badger connection. They fell flat and maybe he wants to outright blame that on Babs. Then again maybe he has heard from several of his league friends that this is an issue too in regards to Babcock... It also goes along with some of what he felt as a player. :dunno:

But the fact this is treated like a crazy HF poster by some people is interesting. Chelios is a HHOF, a guy that did play under him and work with him after hockey. He isn't Joe Schmo and his comments are certainly interesting.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We will have a few of them - Kadri, Gardiner, Andersen, JVR. How many more do we need?

No I mean the big vet, the one that puts you over the top that every contending team goes out and gets at some point

soon we are going to need that guy because the core is set and the team looks to be on it's way to being a legitimate contender

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Who wants whiney, entitled UFAs anyway.

Based on every summer, I would say those ufa's find jobs.

Chelios' comments are odd though since the Wings have signed a number of free agents during Babcock's time there. Maybe he just has a grudge against Babs and wants to trash him?

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
No I mean the big vet, the one that puts you over the top that every contending team goes out and gets at some point

soon we are going to need that guy because the core is set and the team looks to be on it's way to being a legitimate contender

Trade for that guy?

I don't know how this thread has made it this far. Plenty of vets have signed and played with Babcock.

Is everybody gonna love him? No. Not even puppies are universally loved.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
So, after resigning Greening (31), and getting Hainsey (36) and Marleau (38) can we

A) Admit Chris has no ****ing idea what he is talking about

and

B) See some crow eaten from the usual crowd in this thread?

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
So, after resigning Greening (31), and getting Hainsey (36) and Marleau (38) can we

and

Well, in all honesty, Chelios was speaking of a younger Babcock. Things might have changed since then. Signings this year doesn't influence signings in the past.

Major19

Mar 9, 2008
Well, in all honesty, Chelios was speaking of a younger Babcock. Things might have changed since then. Signings this year doesn't influence signings in the past.

Oh yay, more goal posts moving

Next up is: well heck, I'd play for ANYONE if they gave me $6mil!!

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

and

Greening and Hainsey are nothing to hang your hat on and the Leafs are probably the only team to give Marleau a third year.

Chelly forgot more about hockey than any of us will ever know. So pump the breaks there champ.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC

and

Is anyone supposed to be impressed? Greening is an AHLer. Hainsey is 36 years old and got a raise because he played for the cup winning team and Marleau just got grossly overpaid at 6.2m/year for a 25 goals/45pts guy that will continue declining for his 38-40 years old seasons.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Well Marleau just proved Chelios is full of crap

But id say every older veteran free agent would sign that deal Marleau was offered though. Tough to turn down that much money. Not everyday a 38 year old is offered an amount that makes him the 25th highest paid player in the NHL next year

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I'm sure Marleau was simply just looking to cash out at the end of a solid career. He's 38, declining (not even a 50 point guy the last two years). It's a classic Leafs move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad