Chelios named team ambassador

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Chelios also apologized about getting a DUI. I never dodged his apology over his comments about what he said about Bettman. But, he never threatened Bettman or his family, either.

What he said was bone headed, but he never said once, " I am going to hurt x person". He alluded to a "crazed fan or player" not himself. That's facts. And it cannot be debated. And no offense, I do take offense something so disgusting is kept on these forums in a thread celebrating the guys return to a team he had a huge role on during his prime.

You want to call him a dirt bag? Fine. But don't accuse him of doing something he never did. And if your opinion of him is that tilted, why even post in a thread celebrating his legacy?

Or is it I just appreciate his contribution to the Blackhawks and came into this thread hoping to read the same? (Shrugs)
If he didn’t make that comment as an implied threat, why apologize? I’ve never claimed to be the morality police and I’m not painting anyone as an awful person for getting a DUI.

Mistakes happen. You’re pretending he didn’t make highly inflammatory remarks with implied violence. Glad you’ve backed off on the slander/libel nonsense you originally were backing.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Tell that to the op who posted Chelios threated somebody's family.
That was the poster's OPINION that he felt Chelios (public figure) warranted. It's clear in his post. YOU have the right to rebut. You are entitled to your opinions. That's how message boards work.

However, please stop with the defammation / libel threats. It literally has NO relevant reason to be said on this board. We will all know when a post is so egregious, that it's libel. That said, if you feel there was a violation of the "terms of service" on HF, then there is a button you can press to report it.

End of story. Now debate / argue / agree / share and have fun on the board.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I think you're both right.

I think they hang Chelios in the rafters and Seabrook gets a patch a la Magnuson.

Likewise, I think Larmer is left out until either he reaches the hall of fame, or somebody wearing 28 for the Blackhawks reaches the hall, or wins a cup or two.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Seabs will probably go up cause of the 3 cups alone (along with longevity). I consider him more of a Hawk than Hossa (regardless of HOF credentials) whose best years weren't even with us, but that's all semantics.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Ben Smith won the cup wearing 28. I dont think it'll ever happen for Larmer.

Chelly/seabs combo is still possible. I used to joke about the never jallebing amonte/sharp combo though.

As for Chelios drama, I always use to see people complain he said he'd never play for Detroit and ramble about that. Once I saw that was based off some little show with Mike North I've never cared about that. It's really only the Jersey thing I have against him.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Cool.

I'd rather Chelios than Bobby Hull as ambassador, any day of the week.

Honestly, the sting of the 'breakup' went away when the Blackhawks became one of the most dominant teams of the cap era and put away 3 cups. At that point, the insecurity complex and 'little brother' complex with Detroit disappeared.

Now, in the rearview, it's just a guy making a totally reasonable career choice given the context.
Funny how that goes. If you’re a Black Hawks fan cutting your teeth in the 50’s, you might feel the same. 60’s to mid 90’s, Dead Wings/Things fans might believe that, Chicago fans mid 90’s to 09, Wings fans from 10 on.

Problem is, most of the juveniles reading and posting on HFB weren’t born before 1995, so the perspective and rhetoric are skewed towards what you wrote above. Personally, I’ll give them 15 years out of 50 that I’ve followed hockey. So, I’ve been fortunate enough to have seen the Hawks domination over the Wings essentially 70% of my hockey life. Business as usual.:thumbu:

*Also helps that I have shared Wings season tickets since 1999.:naughty:

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Hawks "Strict" retirement standards went out the window with Maggie going up in rafters alongside Pilote

And Steve Larmer (And maybe Doug Wilson) are the only guys who should be going up that are not named Kane/Toews/Keith in coming years
...and likely Hossa too.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I appreciate that Chelios is a Chicago area / high school product who played part of his career with the Blackhawks. However, I'm not going to fight Canadian or Red Wings fans if they want to claim him as their own.

Same goes for Eddie Belfour. If Dallas wants him, so be it. This goes for Jeremy Roenick. If Philly or Zona wants to claim him, I won't lose any sleep.

However, I will fight Ranger fans if they try to claim Steve Larmer. Same goes for Canadian fans who try with Dennis Savard. Don't even get me started with Ottawa and Marian Hossa. I'll fight them all. Hossa is full Blackhawk.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Hawks "Strict" retirement standards went out the window with Maggie going up in rafters alongside Pilote

And Steve Larmer (And maybe Doug Wilson) are the only guys who should be going up that are not named Kane/Toews/Keith in coming years
I never understood why "24" doesn't get the respect he deserves. I don't think people realize how good Dougy Wilson was. He was always so dependable. Wilson should get the honor before Chelios.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

Was that not more of a tribute/memorial type gesture given all the work he continued to do for/with the organization in the years after his career ended and his tragic death than anything having to do with him as a player? That's how I always understood that to be. I never got the impression he'd be up there if he were still alive or hadn't died suddenly and tragically.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Great player for a long time and I was a huge fan, even bought his Team USA jersey.
But he lost me with the Detroit thing.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Funny how that goes. If you’re a Black Hawks fan cutting your teeth in the 50’s, you might feel the same. 60’s to mid 90’s, Dead Wings/Things fans might believe that, Chicago fans mid 90’s to 09, Wings fans from 10 on.

Problem is, most of the juveniles reading and posting on HFB weren’t born before 1995, so the perspective and rhetoric are skewed towards what you wrote above. Personally, I’ll give them 15 years out of 50 that I’ve followed hockey. So, I’ve been fortunate enough to have seen the Hawks domination over the Wings essentially 70% of my hockey life. Business as usual.:thumbu:

*Also helps that I have shared Wings season tickets since 1999.:naughty:

In fairness, I wasn't born until the late 80s. ;)

I obviously saw the great Hawks teams of the early 90s and became a fan, though was really too young to fully process and appreciate what I was watching... but they ultimately failed to scaled the mountain, whereas the Red Wings would go on to dominate at a time the Blackhawks were spiralling the drain...and by then I was well old enough to appreciate just how good they were compared to us, top to bottom.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I really do not get the hate for Chelios either, the guy watched our top stars get traded away one after the other - Larmer, Belfour, Roenick, Suter, etc..etc.. all got dealt out and he was still here. The ship was sinking and he had to deal with Pulford and Dollar Bill - I give him all the respect in the world for putting up with those assholes for as long as he did. It must have been a Godsend to walk into a Red Wing locker room with a world class owner/organization - why on Earth would he ever want to come back here after the shit show that went down here in the mid to late 90's????
Greatest American player of all-time, and IMO, greatest defenseman to lace em up in the Indian head sweater - sorry Bobby Orr!! and yes, I felt he was a better player than Keith for a longer period of time...

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I know it's not like it comes from a reputable place, but I'm just confused on where the push to say hes a front office/gm potential in waiting.

It's weird when hes been mainly a developmental coach but it's coming from some like he was doing the yzerman front office latch. I would think the thoughts would be towards him being a coach in a years time or an ahc during JC if we were pushing the connections together

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
after watching Dollar Bill screw over JR with a lowball offer, only to deal him for Zhamnov who then held out as well lol!!!! that should have been the signal right there for Chelios to ask for a trade...what a joke that management group was...total shit show - deal a guy like Roenick for what essentially was the same amount he was asking for in the end but for a lessor player in Zhamnov!!!

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

Hossa has a good argument. he scored one of the most important goals in Blackhawks history in game 5 of the WCQF vs. Nashville in 2010, is a HOF player and actually spent the most time with any single team during his career, with the Blackhawks. He didn't win anything anywhere else, even if his most productive years were elsewhere. I doubt the Hawks have any cups if Tallon didn't get canned and signed Havlat instead. He was probably the next most important player to the Hawks run, after 88/19/2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad