Chelios named team ambassador

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Cool.

I'd rather Chelios than Bobby Hull as ambassador, any day of the week.

Honestly, the sting of the 'breakup' went away when the Blackhawks became one of the most dominant teams of the cap era and put away 3 cups. At that point, the insecurity complex and 'little brother' complex with Detroit disappeared.

Now, in the rearview, it's just a guy making a totally reasonable career choice given the context.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
**** him

Started to sour on Chelios long before his Detroit antics

Stopped being fan when he threatened Bettman and his family

Just another poor move in offseason of poor moves from organization. Sadly this also means likely that he will probably get his # retired undeservedly while Larmer continues to be ignored
He didn't "threaten" Bettman and his family. Gets your facts straight.

He said a "crazied fan or player" he never said himself. You seem to think that clip isn't on YouTube and he said it so nonchalant it seems more sarcastic then anything.

Good god..... We allow slander on these forums?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Honestly was expecting this to be a joke thread of sorts before opening it up....

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
He didn't "threaten" Bettman and his family. Gets your facts straight.

He said a "crazied fan or player" he never said himself. You seem to think that clip isn't on YouTube and he said it so nonchalant it seems more sarcastic then anything.

Good god..... We allow slander on these forums?

I don’t think you know what slander is.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Chelios is from my hometown. My dad grew up playing hockey, softball and was in scouts with him. This photo says plenty though.

Attachments

• 738F60B1-4679-4328-8509-B5115C4A48F6.jpeg
    738F60B1-4679-4328-8509-B5115C4A48F6.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 31

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
I don’t think you know what slander is.
Really? What don't I know about making a false accusation to damage somebody's reputation?

You cannot go around accusing somebody of threatening somebody's person and family when the evidence is right there on social media stating Chelios said "some crazied fan or player".

So outlandish was what Chelios said, the commentator was dumbfounded. Chelios never stated he was going to hurt anybody.

Tell me exactly what I don't know about slander, again

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Really? What don't I know about making a false accusation to damage somebody's reputation?

You cannot go around accusing somebody of threatening somebody's person and family when the evidence is right there on social media stating Chelios said "some crazied fan or player".

So outlandish was what Chelios said, the commentator was dumbfounded. Chelios never stated he was going to hurt anybody.

Slander is spoken. Anything posted on this board would be libel.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
You’d need to prove that a posters comments on HF harmed Chelios financially for it to be libel. And it could certainly be taken as an implied threat. There’s a reason Chelios apologized for the remarks.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
You’d need to prove that a posters comments on HF harmed Chelios financially for it to be libel. And it could certainly be taken as an implied threat. There’s a reason Chelios apologized for the remarks.
You really need to look up the definition of libel, and that it's used frequently as a ban Hammer here when there's a zero percent chance anybody who is a professional athlete actually posts on these forums.

I get it, you have made it abundantly clear how Chelios wearing a red wings jersey to an all time Hawks ceremony when he was playing ten minutes later is some sort of black mark on his loyalty to Chicago. But don't, imo, let your completely obvious distain of Chelios stop you from doing your job to janitor offensive things that never happened.

Implied? Neely said "instead of shooting themselves in the foot they are shooting themselves in the head" is he implying killing people? Because that's exactly the same line of response Chelios gave.

Chelios also apologized for his DUI. You are not making points to justify yourself or keeping such outlandish remarks up about the guy.

If it's personal, which you have implied, you really need to treat the topic of Chelios on this forum with a little more composure to those of us who appreciated him as a player for the Hawks being your a mod and all. If somebody foolishly writes "he threatened some bodies family" when he actually didn't, and a poster is offended by that line of content, what should you, as a moderator, do to rectify such a situation?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
You really need to look up the definition of libel, and that it's used frequently as a ban Hammer here when there's a zero percent chance anybody who is a professional athlete actually posts on these forums.

I get it, you have made it abundantly clear how Chelios wearing a red wings jersey to an all time Hawks ceremony when he was playing ten minutes later is some sort of black mark on his loyalty to Chicago. But don't, imo, let your completely obvious distain of Chelios stop you from doing your job to janitor offensive things that never happened.

Implied? Neely said "instead of shooting themselves in the foot they are shooting themselves in the head" is he implying killing people? Because that's exactly the same line of response Chelios gave.

Chelios also apologized for his DUI. You are not making points to justify yourself or keeping such outlandish remarks up about the guy.

If it's personal, which you have implied, you really need to treat the topic of Chelios on this forum with a little more composure to those of us who appreciated him as a player for the Hawks being your a mod and all. If somebody foolishly writes "he threatened some bodies family" when he actually didn't, and a poster is offended by that line of content, what should you, as a moderator, do to rectify such a situation?

Really? You're this upset because of something some random person on the internet posted about Chelios that wasn't 100% accurate?

Your false truths about Toews offend me. Please edit all your posts criticizing Toews. :laugh:

:shakehead

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

This would actually be incorrect. Well, not sure about making any posts but I know for a fact there are pro lurkers who read stuff and with a fair amount of regularity at that. I also know for certain there are off-ice/hockey ops personnel that frequent from time to time.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
This would actually be incorrect. Well, not sure about making any posts but I know for a fact there are pro lurkers who read stuff and with a fair amount of regularity at that. I also know for certain there are off-ice/hockey ops personnel that frequent from time to time.

I can second this.

Anyone who thinks that CHL/AHL/NHL players don't read the biggest hockey message board in the world is... a bit naive.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

Please stop acting like a lawyer when you are not one. In some states, you can be fined for false respresenation.

This is a very crude description from memory decades ago.

1. What you're describing is possible defamation per quod. You need to prove why it was defammatory. If it was innuendo, why was it? Even if you could get it to trial, you need prove actual proof of damages ... in this case Chelios.

2. Finding actual/assumed damages will almost be impossible in this case. Are you claiming Chelios lost his current / future job after an HF post? LOL.

3. Punitive damages is what you are looking for. It's basically punishment for an egregious act or comment. The plaintiff has to prove the defendant acted with malice or fraud. I don't think you know how hard it is to prove punitive damages. It's going to take more than one post to prove one acted with malice or fraud. Furthermore, punitive damages are almost always capped in every state.

BOTTOMLINE: this was not a case of defamation per quod. You can't prove any actual / assumed damages. One post on a internet board does not prove malice. You'll be laughed out of court. The lawyer fees would cost 10x more than any possible winning amount if this frivilous case went to court. Chris Chelios could also be subpoenaed for a cross examination. It could get really embarrassing. Finally, public figures have a far higher bar to prove defamation.

YOU NEED STOP ACCUSING POSTERS of defamation or libel. You did this once before ... and I had to properly educate you. Once is a mistake. Twice is ignorance. Stop making false accusations!

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

You really want to quote definitions to me after incorrectly labeling it slander? It’s not as personal as you seem to believe, and you conviently dodged the bit about Chelios apologizing for his words. He didn’t put a hit on Bettman, but it’s far from the innocuous word choice you’re painting it as. Taking what he said was an implied threat by many and far from the hot take you’re painting it as.

Do I believe Chelios meant anything serious by it? No. Do I think Chris was taken totally out of context and wasn’t trying to sound like a tough guy? No.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Please stop acting like a lawyer when you are not one. In some states, you can be fined for false respresenation.Never once have I stated I am a lawyer.

This is a very crude description from memory decades ago.

1. What you're describing is possible defamation per quod. You need to prove why it was defammatory. If it was innuendo, why was it? Even if you could get it to trial, you need prove actual proof of damages ... in this case Chelios.

2. Finding actual/assumed damages will almost be impossible in this case. Are you claiming Chelios lost his current / future job after an HF post? LOL.
where did I say that? I stated "he threatened Bettman and his family" was slanderous, which, it is. Libel/slander is the same thing. I merely questioned why something such as that is kept in a thread celebrating Chelios return to the Hawks. Do people have conflicting views of Chelios? Sure, but there's no need to be outright ignorant about it
3. Punitive damages is what you are looking for. It's basically punishment for an egregious act or comment. The plaintiff has to prove the defendant acted with malice or fraud. I don't think you know how hard it is to prove punitive damages. It's going to take more than one post to prove one acted with malice or fraud. Furthermore, punitive damages are almost always capped in every state.
now, you are going overboard with textual pasta.

BOTTOMLINE: this was not a case of defamation per quod. You can't prove any actual / assumed damages. One post on a internet board does not prove malice. You'll be laughed out of court. The lawyer fees would cost 10x more than any possible winning amount if this frivilous case went to court. Chris Chelios could also be subpoenaed for a cross examination. It could get really embarrassing. Finally, public figures have a far higher bar to prove defamation.

YOU NEED STOP ACCUSING POSTERS of defamation or libel. You did this once before ... and I had to properly educate you. Once is a mistake. Twice is ignorance. Stop making false accusations!
Tell that to the op who posted Chelios threated somebody's family.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Greatest American player ever. Brought the cup back to Evergreen and I got to meet him/touch the cup while in eighth grade. Have always been a fan. As a Blackhawk diehard it’s certainly a tenuous relationship.

I agree, IMO he's the best American player ever, at least at this moment.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
You really want to quote definitions to me after incorrectly labeling it slander? It’s not as personal as you seem to believe, and you conviently dodged the bit about Chelios apologizing for his words. He didn’t put a hit on Bettman, but it’s far from the innocuous word choice you’re painting it as. Taking what he said was an implied threat by many and far from the hot take you’re painting it as.

Do I believe Chelios meant anything serious by it? No. Do I think Chris was taken totally out of context and wasn’t trying to sound like a tough guy? No.
Chelios also apologized about getting a DUI. I never dodged his apology over his comments about what he said about Bettman. But, he never threatened Bettman or his family, either.

What he said was bone headed, but he never said once, " I am going to hurt x person". He alluded to a "crazed fan or player" not himself. That's facts. And it cannot be debated. And no offense, I do take offense something so disgusting is kept on these forums in a thread celebrating the guys return to a team he had a huge role on during his prime.

You want to call him a dirt bag? Fine. But don't accuse him of doing something he never did. And if your opinion of him is that tilted, why even post in a thread celebrating his legacy?

Or is it I just appreciate his contribution to the Blackhawks and came into this thread hoping to read the same? (Shrugs)

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
I can second this.

Anyone who thinks that CHL/AHL/NHL players don't read the biggest hockey message board in the world is... a bit naive.
Reddit is the biggest hockey message board. Never said pros aren't there

Wait....you mean....here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad