Chelios named team ambassador

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
after watching Dollar Bill screw over JR with a lowball offer, only to deal him for Zhamnov who then held out as well lol!!!! that should have been the signal right there for Chelios to ask for a trade...what a joke that management group was...total **** show - deal a guy like Roenick for what essentially was the same amount he was asking for in the end but for a lessor player in Zhamnov!!!
I don't remember anyone blaming Chelios for being traded. We were just surprised the Hawks traded him to Detroit (was it Erickson?). Fans were far more angry at Wirtz. Everyone still loved Chelios in Chicago. Afterall, he was a Chicago kid.

The issue is what he did afterwards. It felt like he went out of his way to alienate the Chicago fans. I don't think it was miscommunication. Chelios has that kind of reputation. Chelios went out of his way to burn the bridge to Chicago fans.

Did Chelios even explain why he trolled Blackhawk fans?

Reactions: Krivo25

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
2/19/88 are locks for the rafters.

The 7/7 may happen, but Chelios had a better individual career for a longer period of time. I don't see Seabrook in his class.

81 is a stretch, but wouldn't be surprised if they hung it.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I am not sure that 7 goes in the rafters for either guy, Seabrook was just not good enough and chillies played long stretches in his career with detroit and montreal so I don't see his jersey being placed in the rafters even if he is a local boy.

2-19-88 are locks though, hossa and 81 not likely but possible.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
IMO, if Larmer isn't in the rafters, no way Seabs should be, and as much as I love Hossa, neither should he.

How on Earth Mr. Ironman Steve Larmer, scored 400 goals as a Hawks, over 900 points as a Hawk is not hanging in the rafters is insane to me....an absolute shame right now.

As for Chelios, my opinion has been stated, his jersey belongs in the rafters. I do not care what he did not in a Hawks uniform, or how people think he pissed on Chicago and the fans when he was dealt...what he did here was near elite for almost a decade, he brought a warriors mentality every night to the ice, and fought tooth and nail for this team and the fans...he was beloved here, and always should for what he did here.

#28 - Larmer
#7 - Chelios

should 100% be the next 2 jerseys in the rafters.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
IMO, if Larmer isn't in the rafters, no way Seabs should be, and as much as I love Hossa, neither should he.

How on Earth Mr. Ironman Steve Larmer, scored 400 goals as a Hawks, over 900 points as a Hawk is not hanging in the rafters is insane to me....an absolute shame right now.

As for Chelios, my opinion has been stated, his jersey belongs in the rafters. I do not care what he did not in a Hawks uniform, or how people think he pissed on Chicago and the fans when he was dealt...what he did here was near elite for almost a decade, he brought a warriors mentality every night to the ice, and fought tooth and nail for this team and the fans...he was beloved here, and always should for what he did here.

#28 - Larmer
#7 - Chelios

should 100% be the next 2 jerseys in the rafters.

While that might be the case, the fact is that if they honor Chelios, they will do something for Seabs too or vice versa. Dual retirement, like they did with Maggy.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I don't remember anyone blaming Chelios for being traded. We were just surprised the Hawks traded him to Detroit (was it Erickson?). Fans were far more angry at Wirtz. Everyone still loved Chelios in Chicago. Afterall, he was a Chicago kid.

The issue is what he did afterwards. It felt like he went out of his way to alienate the Chicago fans. I don't think it was miscommunication. Chelios has that kind of reputation. Chelios went out of his way to burn the bridge to Chicago fans.

Did Chelios even explain why he trolled Blackhawk fans?

I never said people were blaming Chelios for being traded, just dumping on the guy because they didn't like some of the things he said after being traded. My point was this - the man was a Blackhawk through and through - he got dealt, he didn't sign as a FA. Our idiot management team botched this organization so badly, that Chelios forced the trade which broke his heart, that is on them. Chelios watched as top star after top star was dealt, while other top free agents they past on which could have put us over the top. I get some people have bitter feelings over some of the stuff he said, but it is a business and the man felt hurt. Rumors also said at the time that Pulford/Wirtz believed Chelios was near the end of his career and wouldn't offer him a longer term deal..lol...that was classic.

Here is a good read on such a sad time in Hawks history - from a Chelios perspective as well.
ESPNMAG.com - Blackholes

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
While that might be the case, the fact is that if they honor Chelios, they will do something for Seabs too or vice versa. Dual retirement, like they did with Maggy.
I agree with that, I am just saying to those just naming Seabrook, no way on Earth he should get his jersey retired ALONE before Larmer or even Hossa IMO...It would likely be a double retirement with Seabs and Chelios - and that should be the case since that number has been worn for almost 20 years with such great play from the two of them (lets forget Seabs the past 2 years and moving forward lol)..

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am dumping on the guy because he's a dick. His brother's a dick. His kids are dicks. His... Ah, you get the picture.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I am dumping on the guy because he's a dick. His brother's a dick. His kids are dicks. His... Ah, you get the picture.
Let's keep family out of this. I'm sure we all met Cheli at a very late night Chicago establishment in our youth to form an opinion. I don't think you need to create a picture for many of us :)

That said, I will say Brian Noonan was a good dude. Quiet, but a nice guy. Loved his beer.

Reactions: sharkhawk

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Not sure if you ever saw Magnuson play. I did. Loved his fiery personality, just like his red hair, and his huge heart. Fought and got his butt kicked and face bloodied way too many times. Loved it when for a couple of years he handed out the postseason awards for our neighborhood hockey teams. Got his autograph and remember shaking his hand and talking to him when I was maybe 8-10 years of age, early in his career.

That said, he was an average number 3-5 defenseman, made many mistakes, and likely would be pilloried by the self-proclaimed HFB “cognoscenti” here on a routine basis. There’s no way he should be up in the rafters, and the association is an injustice to Pilote.

Love Larmer and Seabrook. Both are in the discussion for jersey retirement. Love Roenick, Secord, Wilson, Stapleton, and a host of others. However, I hope it’s kept to HOFers in the future. There still are a few of them from the A. Wirtz years who haven’t been recognized.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Magnuson is not hanging from the rafters on account of his on-ice contributions.
Yep. He was loved by the fans. A person I know is friends with him. Supposedly, he's a great guy who's even better with the fans.

Plus, Chicago loves straight up tough guys. I don't think anyone thinks Magnuson is hanging in the rafters solely because of his play on the ice. For the most part, he was a goon.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Yep. He was loved by the fans. A person I know is friends with him. Supposedly, he's a great guy who's even better with the fans.

Plus, Chicago loves straight up tough guys. I don't think anyone thinks Magnuson is hanging in the rafters solely because of his play on the ice. For the most part, he was a goon.

You mean was...

And all of that was true, in addition to being heavily involved in (and founded) the Blackhawks Alumni Association combined with his sudden and tragic death, his retirement is a memorial and dedication to his life, not because he was a great player. I don't get how people have an issue with that.

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
You mean was...

And all of that was true, in addition to being heavily involved in the Blackhawks alumni association combined with his sudden and tragic death, his retirement is a memorial and dedication to his life, not because he was a great player. I don't get how people have an issue with that.
Yeah ... the said person was the once owner of the Wooden Nickel a long time ago and Manguson used to hang out (I don't know if he drank). He got to be good friends and said he was a good dude and great family man.

Here's a good story about Keith Magnuson.

The Verdict: Remembering Keith Magnuson

Reactions: Blue Liner

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I have skated with his brother for years (Southwest Ice Arena, Spectrum, Oak Lawn Ice Arena, etc) not a dick at all to me. His sister is a dick, but his bro has been nothing but great to me and my family over the years.

Being a dick does not mean his jersey shouldn't be held in the rafters, if that is the case I hate to see what will be said about Kane when that day comes.

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I have skated with his brother for years (Southwest Ice Arena, Spectrum, Oak Lawn Ice Arena, etc) not a dick at all to me. His sister is a dick, but his bro has been nothing but great to me and my family over the years.

Being a dick does not mean his jersey shouldn't be held in the rafters, if that is the case I hate to see what will be said about Kane when that day comes.
True ... being a dick should be the smallest of concerns. My issue is brand. When you look at Chelios, do you see a Blackhawk, Red Wing, or Canadian sweater. IMO, I see a Red Wing sweater. I'm indifferent to Chelios coming back to our organization. Good for him. However, I have another opinion about his number being retired.

When I see Marian Hossa, I see a Blackhawk. I don't see a Senator, Penguin, Thrasher, or Red Wing.

I consider Eddie Belfour more a Blackhawk than Chelios ... and Belfour is more Star than Hawk.

In order to have your number retired, your legacy should be undoubtedly linked to that franchise. Being a great player is NOT enough. When you think Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, ans Ryne Sandberg ... what team do you think of? When you think of Greg Maddux, what team do you think of? That's why Maddux's number is not retired.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

Well that's interesting. I know his brother from his coaching days, not skating with him. ;)

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
True ... being a dick should be the smallest of concerns. My issue is brand. When you look at Chelios, do you see a Blackhawk, Red Wing, or Canadian sweater. IMO, I see a Red Wing sweater. I'm indifferent to Chelios coming back to our organization. Good for him. However, I have another opinion about his number being retired.

When I see Marian Hossa, I see a Blackhawk. I don't see a Senator, Penguin, Thrasher, or Red Wing.

I consider Eddie Belfour more a Blackhawk than Chelios ... and Belfour is more Star than Hawk.

In order to have your number retired, your legacy should be undoubtedly linked to that franchise. Being a great player is NOT enough. When you think Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, ans Ryne Sandberg ... what team do you think of? When you think of Greg Maddux, what team do you think of? That's why Maddux's number is not retired.
Theres nothing but person influence to limit it to one. Several players get honors or retired jerseys with multiple teams.

It seems to me the MLB hof hat choice thing influenced the sports world too much to make people feel that way with other sports too. Viewing people with 1 team isnt a hof thing many other sports do though. It's not like Chelios or nhl players HOF plaques dictate a team they just list their career and accomplishments.

Because people are gonna view someone with one team doesnt dictate it to stick to that way.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Theres nothing but person influence to limit it to one. Several players get honors or retired jerseys with multiple teams.

It seems to me the MLB hof hat choice thing influenced the sports world too much to make people feel that way with other sports too. Viewing people with 1 team isnt a hof thing many other sports do though. It's not like Chelios or nhl players HOF plaques dictate a team they just list their career and accomplishments.

Because people are gonna view someone with one team doesnt dictate it to stick to that way.
I see where you are going with the HOF thing. The HOF is a career honor. Teams shouldn't matter. However, retiring a number for that specific franchise is more than just performance and championships. In my OPINION, that player should be branded with the franchise.

That does not mean Chelios wasn't a great player ... because he certainly was. His peak might have been even with the Hawks. He's also the greatest Chicago hockey player ever. However, I don't think Blackhawk when I think Chelios.

Do you know Chelios played more years in Detroit than Chicago ... though he played about a 100 more games in Chicago. It's not like he had a cup of coffee at Detroit.

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I never agreed with 2 teams retiring the number of a certain player. Why is Michael Jordan's number hanging in Washington? When you think of Bobby Hull, do you think Blackhawks or Winnipeg Jets/Arizona Coyotes?

When you think of Wayne Gretzky, is it Edmonton, LA, or the Rangers? Should the Hawks retire Bobby Orr's number?

I guess there is a question of Mark Messier. That said, he made his choice with the Rags ... though both teams retired his number - quite cheesey.

Other players with numbers retired by multiple teams: Tim Horton, Ray Borque, and Patrick Roy. Really Colorado Avalanche?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Well that's interesting. I know his brother from his coaching days, not skating with him. ;)
Only one coach in my lifetime playing hockey was not a dick...only 1 lol!!!

I think it was a prerequisite that you had to be a dick to coach hockey - that is changing with the new wave of coaching, but my God almost every coach I ever had at any level of play was a dick lol!!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I never agreed with 2 teams retiring the number of a certain player. Why is Michael Jordan's number hanging in Washington? When you think of Bobby Hull, do you think Blackhawks or Winnipeg Jets/Arizona Coyotes?

When you think of Wayne Gretzky, is it Edmonton, LA, or the Rangers? Should the Hawks retire Bobby Orr's number?

I guess there is a question of Mark Messier. That said, he made his choice with the Rags ... though both teams retired his number - quite cheesey.

Other players with numbers retired by multiple teams: Tim Horton, Ray Borque, and Patrick Roy. Really Colorado Avalanche?

I just do not see it that way to be honest. When Chelios was here, there was only maybe 2-3 defensemen in the league during that era that was more consistent than him - Bourque, MacInnis and Leetch. Lidstrom was really coming into his own towards the end same with Pronger.

But those examples you list many of them are just showcasing retiring a great player regardless of years of service there. Chelios played almost 10 years here, that is more than enough to have his jersey raised to the rafters...he wasn't a Bourque situation or some of the others. And Chelios' most successful years were in the Indian Head as well. I am not going to fault the guy for having such horseshit management that the entire team collapsed around him and the dark days came in once he left...he would have retired here if Wirtz/Pulford gave him a damn contract he wanted/deserved.

I know a lot of people that will always view Chelios as a Blackhawk and not a RedWing or Canadien...I am one of those. That is up to the person and whatever their perception was of that era, but for me, Chelios will always be a Blackhawk regardless of extending his career in Detroit. His peak years were here in Chicago, and he epitomized what being a Blackhawk was all about for many.

IMO, on career merit, length of service in the Indian Head, peak performance, and just being here during some very successful years, Chelios and his #7 deserves to be raised.

As for anything else off the ice, Bobby Hull and Patrick Kane say "hold my beer!"

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I just do not see it that way to be honest. When Chelios was here, there was only maybe 2-3 defensemen in the league during that era that was more consistent than him - Bourque, MacInnis and Leetch. Lidstrom was really coming into his own towards the end same with Pronger.

But those examples you list many of them are just showcasing retiring a great player regardless of years of service there. Chelios played almost 10 years here, that is more than enough to have his jersey raised to the rafters...he wasn't a Bourque situation or some of the others. And Chelios' most successful years were in the Indian Head as well. I am not going to fault the guy for having such horse**** management that the entire team collapsed around him and the dark days came in once he left...he would have retired here if Wirtz/Pulford gave him a damn contract he wanted/deserved.

I know a lot of people that will always view Chelios as a Blackhawk and not a RedWing or Canadien...I am one of those. That is up to the person and whatever their perception was of that era, but for me, Chelios will always be a Blackhawk regardless of extending his career in Detroit. His peak years were here in Chicago, and he epitomized what being a Blackhawk was all about for many.

IMO, on career merit, length of service in the Indian Head, peak performance, and just being here during some very successful years, Chelios and his #7 deserves to be raised.

As for anything else off the ice, Bobby Hull and Patrick Kane say "hold my beer!"
I completely understand your reasoning. It's hard to diagrees to. For me, Cheli's antics after he left for the Red Wings really hurt. After that ... it just turned to indifference.

We'll agree to disagree, but I will reconsider because of your points ... IF Chelios renounces his allegiance to the Red Wings and restates his love for the Blackhawk fans. Chelios doesn't owe the Wirtz a thing after they traded him ... but he does owe the Hawk fans at least an explanation for why he felt necessary to troll us. This is after years of unconditional defending of his 'edgy' play and behavior to other NHL fans.

I know this thing appears pretty, but the last thing I want to see is Chelios wearing a Red Wing sweater after we retire his number. That would be BS.

Reactions: Central PA Hawk Fan

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Personally, from many 2nd hand stories Chelli has the ultimate "holier than thou" uberjock attitute, whatever.

But, what I hate about this stuff is that I would be one of these hated persons if I had their stature in society. I've been in a bar fight or two when threatened and can say if some cab driver locked the rear doors before I could get my wallet out I'd not be happy.

But, even worse, I had a police report for domestic violence filed by an ex back in college. She calls me up one day to give me some money she owed me, I go to pick it up and she wants to rekindle the flame. I have a few honest/choice words towards her "character" and she flips out. First throwing a piece of pottery, then screaming, then arms flailing at me as hard/fast as she can. I put my arms around my face and she swings away for 30 seconds until I calmly push her arms off me then leave her dorm room.

A few hours later a cop shows up at my place. He says he got a call/report of abuse and the girl has bruises. I asked him where the bruises were and he says on her fists/wrists. I asked the guy if he thought a fella twice her size would abuse here wrists so badly. After my roommates chimed in with details of the crazy things she'd done the past few months the officer said "please don't visit her again" and walked off.

But, according the record, I was the bad guy. I'd never laid a hand on her except to push her off of me when she was trying to bash my head in.

You don't know anything until you get the full story. If I was an NHL'er the media would crucify me.

Last edited:

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Chelios and Hossa I realized both played their most games and scored their most points with the Hawks than any other of their specific franchises. They are both HOF guys who had careers worth honoring with this team.

There is so much talk of oh Red Wings but the thing with Chelios is it can't and won't happen too soon. It will have to wait until Seabrook's time is up. By then maybe Chris will be a bigger part of the Hawks too with potential for having an actual role on the team if he wants to in some time. By then I'm sure more of the antagonistic shtick on him will be worn down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->