Cheer for the Islander tank or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splintered Sherwood

Oct 25, 2013
I kind of feel bad for the Islanders. How many years does it take a team to finally remove itself from the head on freight train collision that was Millbury as GM. Yashin will still be a cap hit next year and he last played for the Islanders in 06/07.

That being said, since Buffalo owns the Islanders pick I'd like for them to suck this year so that they defer the pick next year. Even if they improve next year the stockpile of 2nd round picks for 2015 should be enough to move any potential deferred pick up at least a few spots.

StlSwedes

Dec 3, 2009
So in a way, the best case scenario is one where the Islanders tank and finish with a pick in the top 5. Just about guaranteeing that they take it and give us the 2015 pick. Then, with a bottom 25 finish in 2013-2014, we are guaranteed a pick in 2015 where the Islanders will again be picking in the first half of the very deep draft, maybe even another top 10.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
If the draft was tomorrow, the pick would be 7th overall. I don't think the pick will end up in the top-8, but I could absolutely see it being around 10th or 11th.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
That's dumb.They should have to decide before draft starts...kinda puts the other team in a pickle..if they want to trade the pick or make any other moves. :shakehead

It's not dumb. It's a point of value in the trade. It could be suggested that the Isles wouldn't have agreed to the trade if this option wasn't included. They want to see who's available when they pick. Regier surrendered this much like he ate some of Vanek's remaining salary.

Karate Johnson*

Why would anyone feel bad for the Islanders.

They are currently in better shape than us. They are historically more successful than us.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I would only say they are by a small margin. Their forward lines are cool and all but that defense and goaltending is more than questionable

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think it's to one dimensional to look at the islanders pick as a draft pick in 14 or 15 and that's it. That pick could be packaged in either year for young or, veteran talent. I don't see Buffalo using that pick if it's a 14 pick, I'd guess they'd use it to bring in an actual player. At least, they should be looking that route as well.

After all, we aren't going to rebuild the team on all young talent alone.

People said that each of the past two years.

While it's possible that they could move the pick for a player, I doubt that is the road that they go down. Especially if the pick is in 2014.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I would only say they are by a small margin. Their forward lines are cool and all but that defense and goaltending is more than questionable

But, they do have the franchise player to build around.

The Sabres don't have that yet.

And as far as history goes, they have a few banners in the rafters....

The one advantage the Sabres have is in the owners box.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Yes. Unquestionably.

not even close imo. John Tavares is a franchise player they have a great young supporting cast. They need to get a goalie (miller) and some defense and a veteran or two up front and they will be a solid team.

We need a JT

Last edited:

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
not even close imo. John Tavares is a franchise player they have a great young supporting cast. They need to get a goalie (miller) and some defense and a veteran or two up front and they will play a solid team.

We need a JT

By JT, you mean Reinheart or McDavid. We will get there.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There is no guarantee that if the Isles use their pick this year that they won't address their needs (namely in net and another blueliner or two) this coming summer and move solidly into a playoff spot next season. The core of the team is signed to affordable contracts... they are in very good shape, especially since their recent trade didn't dip into their prospect pool (Strome, namely) nor take out any of their long-term core pieces on those cap friendly deals.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
But, they do have the franchise player to build around.

The Sabres don't have that yet.

And as far as history goes, they have a few banners in the rafters....

The one advantage the Sabres have is in the owners box.

Islanders fan here, coming in peace. I had a lot fewer gray hairs when those banners went up. You hit the nail on the head, our owner is the worst in sports. You can thank Garth Snow for all the picks you will get for Vanek, he traded the cow for beans with no magic in them.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
By JT, you mean Reinheart or McDavid. We will get there.

It is far from a guarantee that the Sabres get either of those guys.

And look at a draft like 2007 where an impact guy goes #1 (PKane) and picks 2 and 3 not so much (JVR & Turris).

Shoot, there wasn't a lot to get excited about the rest of that 1st round.

Batch

Bruce Springsteen is my Shidoshi
Sponsor
Apr 15, 2010
Colorado
Two things I think need to be considered.

1.) I understand that McDavid is heads and shoulders above the top guys in this draft class, but is a low teens pick (which I assume the Islander's pick will be) in 2015 better than a low teens pick this year? Even if it is, is it worth losing a year of development?

2.) I know Wang hasn't been a big spender, but what if he actually gets a decent goalie for next year? Is it possible that with a goalie and a free-agent d-man or two that the Isles take the next step and that pick becomes low 20s instead?

In light of this, I think #11 this year is the best we can hope for.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

1.) I understand that McDavid is heads and shoulders above the top guys in this draft class, but is a low teens pick (which I assume the Islander's pick will be) in 2015 better than a low teens pick this year? Even if it is, is it worth losing a year of development?

2.) I know Wang hasn't been a big spender, but what if he actually gets a decent goalie for next year? Is it possible that with a goalie and a free-agent d-man or two that the Isles take the next step and that pick becomes low 20s instead?

Absolutely. Theres a chance Isles get their goalie and some D and push the pick into the 20's for 2015. But there is equally a good chance that they don't and Vanek leaves via FA and we get a lottery pick... If all we're doing is hoping.. I'd rather hope for the flop two years in a row =p

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Absolutely. Theres a chance Isles get their goalie and some D and push the pick into the 20's for 2015. But there is equally a good chance that they don't and Vanek leaves via FA and we get a lottery pick... If all we're doing is hoping.. I'd rather hope for the flop two years in a row =p

It will depend greatly on if they can resign Vanek before the deadline.

If they cant get a deal they trade him and recoup what they traded in the 1st + 2nd or a pick + a young player that can be part of their team now.

If they trade just for picks then they likely end up top 10. If they trade him for young players who can play witht he big club now then they may miss the playoffs but the pick ends up 11-14.

If they resigned Vanek but still finished in the top 10 but not win the lottery....there would be no way they give up the pick because they would feel in the off season adding a UFA goalie and making a few other moves they will be a playoff team in 2015.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
It will depend greatly on if they can resign Vanek before the deadline.

If they cant get a deal they trade him and recoup what they traded in the 1st + 2nd or a pick + a young player that can be part of their team now.

If they trade just for picks then they likely end up top 10. If they trade him for young players who can play witht he big club now then they may miss the playoffs but the pick ends up 11-14.

If they resigned Vanek but still finished in the top 10 but not win the lottery....there would be no way they give up the pick because they would feel in the off season adding a UFA goalie and making a few other moves they will be a playoff team in 2015.

If they want to flip pick fr 2015, I'm all in. It's a tough league, they can sign guys but injuries mean you can fall fast. My guess is they not make playoffs but don't fall to bottom 10 this year, making it a moot point

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

It all depends on the depth of the 1st round talent in 2014 and 2015.

And everything I've read says that 2015 is a lot deeper than 2014. So, I'm hoping that pick becomes a 2015 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad