Checkers IV: Insert Witty Title Here

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
What you don’t see in this highlight is that 10-15secs before Geekie’s goal Kuokkanen had a glorious chance on the other side of the net set up much like this goal. Difference there was the opposing goalie made a great save. Watching the Checkers PP vs the Canes PP is night and day.
Correction, watching that ONE PowerPlay was night and day, they were 0 for the next 8 after that and collected about 2 shots during the rest of them (including a no-shot 1+ min 5-0n-3)...and had lots more shots against. They won last night due to a great first period, the last 2 periods were pretty rough to watch.

EDIT: Ned absolutely saved the game for us with about 3-4 magnificent saves!

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Correction, watching that ONE PowerPlay was night and day, they were 0 for the next 8 after that and collected about 2 shots during the rest of them (including a no-shot 1+ min 5-0n-3)...and had lots more shots against. They won last night due to a great first period, the last 2 periods were pretty rough to watch.

EDIT: Ned absolutely saved the game for us with about 3-4 magnificent saves!

Please don't rain on our pity parade with your facts.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
The interesting question is what does the organization do with Vellucci. Last year the Checkers were solid but that could be attributed to the talent. This year they lose four of top five scorers. Three key PP contributors (Zykov, Wallmark, Miller) and key PK contributor in Foegele.

Since their record is better and the special teams are stronger, it appears that the coaching is key. NHL teams are going to see it that way too.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
At the time Brindy was hired, I was actually more in favor of Vellucci getting the NHL gig here (at least when it was clear we weren't going outside of the organization) due to his previous head coaching experience while Brindy cut his teeth in the AHL. Who knows if Brindy would have gone for that though. I would have to think there will eventually be interest in him from NHL teams as long as he continues to keep the Checkers playing well, and I wouldn't be too surprised if he leaves.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Jeff Daniels had plenty of success in the AHL, makes total sense why he got the nod as assistant.
618166.gif

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
That would be like assigning ourselves as a HFBoards NHL team fanbase to AHL until morale improves.

Do you think we might be allowed to have the F26 forum name changed to Charlotte Checkers...?

I'm just looking for some way to keep my sanity. I bought season tickets to this nonsense. Shame on me. At this point, I can't imagine going to another game this year (edit: season), and it's November.

I mean, I still entertain the hope that things will change... just as I have every November for the past decade . But my policy is now "don't go watch a hockey team that has more losses than wins," and we're three games below that threshold with no turnaround in sight. The Checkers are my only option at this point.

Last edited:

StiffSquid

Nov 17, 2016
North Carolina
Kakaman is putting up some decent point totals in Charlotte , good to see. I guess Necas is there to learn the defensive secrets of his profession so the low point totals don't surprise me. I guess the same goes for Saarela , or has he just been disappointing? I always thought he was going to make a really good third line player in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad