Checkers IV: Insert Witty Title Here

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Watched all of the great Canes comeback, so only got to fast-forward through the Checkers game.

Fleury is too good for the AHL. If he can play with the same confidence in Raleigh, then he will be a capable second-pairing D.
Geekie is going to force himself into the call-up conversation. He doesn't have Necas' or Bishop's speed/skating, but he is in the perfect place to score several times every game.
Vellucci needs to spend 2-3 days working on the big team's power play!

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Really impressive considering they lost a few high end producers from last year.
Actually three league leaders are gone: Zykov led in goals; Wallmark in points-per-game; Foegele in non-power play goals. So to be even better this year shows the organization has deep talent. The organization also has the only goal-per-game scorer in the first month of the WHL (Mattheos).

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
So was surprised to see Fleury as a healthy extra tonight. Anyone know why? Hold out for a Fleury for Nylander swap lol?

Slavin didn’t practice today, so maybe Fleury was held out for an emergency call up. When I’ve watched the Checkers lately though, it’s obvious that Fleury is an NHL defensemen. So yeah, a little odd to scratch him all a sudden, sans injuries.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
When I’ve watched the Checkers lately though, it’s obvious that Fleury is an NHL defensemen
100% agree. The past two games he played Fleury was clearly the best player on the ice.
Necas has been the best skater but has had difficulty making plays that turn into goals. The past three games have me thinking Necas stays in Charlotte and his ELC slides.

Last night Saarela and Smallman stood out. I was a little disappointed in Cajkovsky. He has looked like an NHLer, but last night while he was solid he didn't really impress.

The Checkers are a lot like the Canes. McKegg, Kuokkanen, and Poturalskin are AHL versions of Staal, Aho, and Teravainen. Then every game another player or two makes the difference to produce the win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad