Checkers IV: Insert Witty Title Here

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Kuokkaman has great stats. Has anyone seen him play? Is he NHL ready?
He is likely ready. He is an above-average passer, is developing a dangerous one-timer on the power play, and is sound defensively.

My personal take is that the Canes have their quota of rookies at 4. The organization doesn't mind switching out Bishop and Roy on the fourth line. But Kuokkanen has shown top-6 talent, so they don't want to: A. put him with line mates that won't be able to benefit from his offensive skills; B. have a top line with two rookies, which is why I don't think Foegele and Svechnikov have been tried together. I understand Wallmark is playing with Svechnikov, but he had two AHL seasons, was up for 19 NHL games the past two seasons, and international experience with pros.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
He is likely ready. He is an above-average passer, is developing a dangerous one-timer on the power play, and is sound defensively.

My personal take is that the Canes have their quota of rookies at 4. The organization doesn't mind switching out Bishop and Roy on the fourth line. But Kuokkanen has shown top-6 talent, so they don't want to: A. put him with line mates that won't be able to benefit from his offensive skills; B. have a top line with two rookies, which is why I don't think Foegele and Svechnikov have been tried together. I understand Wallmark is playing with Svechnikov, but he had two AHL seasons, was up for 19 NHL games the past two seasons, and international experience with pros.

Why work on one timer. ...will never be used on Canes pp.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
not sure why it's a positive that he repeatedly ices the puck when his team is protecting the lead. yeah he's scored a few goals but he's iced the pucked like at least a few dozen times now. if you want to do it when you're up 3-1 with five seconds left then fine but he does it when there's more than enough time for the team to come back. it's getting old to be honest.

he's down to a .901sv% this year but nobody notices because the checkers score 4 goals per game and you have social media people who are amused that he scores goals and punches people. just another wasted high pick.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
not sure why it's a positive that he repeatedly ices the puck when his team is protecting the lead. yeah he's scored a few goals but he's iced the pucked like at least a few dozen times now. if you want to do it when you're up 3-1 with five seconds left then fine but he does it when there's more than enough time for the team to come back. it's getting old to be honest.

he's down to a .901sv% this year but nobody notices because the checkers score 4 goals per game and you have social media people who are amused that he scores goals and punches people. just another wasted high pick.

Are you new here? We have so few toys don't take away any of them.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

If he hits that net 10% of the time when they're up 2, it's probably a good shot statistically.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015

Cause all in all this game is about having fun. A goalie scoring a goal is fun as can be. I approve of his attempt.

On another note I agree with you that Ned doesn’t look to be much of a goalie prospect statistically unfortunately.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Since Foegele seems to have lost his mojo and the Canes suck at scoring, maybe we send him down for a bit and give Kooks or Saku a shot?

foegele looks night and day different in a bad way than he did to start the season. i would be encouraged to see the team send him down to get his act together. it also wouldn't be entirely unreasonable to see them give poturalski a shot at some point.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Shaya's 10 Thoughts: Nov. 15, 2018 - Charlotte Checkers Hockey - gocheckers.com

5) Valentin Zykov came in earlier this week with a great attitude. There is no doubt he wanted to log a lot of ice time and get his scoring touch back. Last night head coach Mike Vellucci told me in a pregame interview that he was going to give Zykov all the minutes he could handle.

7) Jake Bean played his absolute best game as a professional last night. Every single time he had the puck he made something happen. Talking to a scout (not one mentioned earlier) after the second intermission, he believed Bean was the best player on the ice for either team and I agreed. If last night is an indication of the trajectory of his development then he is going to start making some serious waves in the next few months.

9) Coming into the season, one of the issues with a young player like Janne Koukkanen was whether he could keep up his compete level every single night. It's clear now that that's no longer a concern, as he's tied for the team lead in goals scored (7) and points (16). He's consistently one of the best players for Charlotte every night. It's hard to imagine that, if he continues along this path, he won't be ready for full-time NHL action next year.

Some of the highlights of the article

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
7) Jake Bean played his absolute best game as a professional last night. Every single time he had the puck he made something happen. Talking to a scout (not one mentioned earlier) after the second intermission, he believed Bean was the best player on the ice for either team and I agreed. If last night is an indication of the trajectory of his development then he is going to start making some serious waves in the next few months.

With all the talk about Fox, some Canes fans are forgetting about Bean. I watched a good portion of the game last night and agree Bean was at his best. He created a great opportunity that ended up being the tying goal from Gauthier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad