Checkers IV: Insert Witty Title Here

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
542608.gif

We're talking about the Charlotte Checkers in this thread. The Checkers are the AHL affiliate of the Carolina Hurricanes. Please try to keep up, thank you.

:sarcasm:

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
So they beat Hatfud tonight.

First star was Booth.

Second star was Ned.

Ned started, and played the first two periods, then Booth completed the shutout.

Anybody watch the game? What the heck happened?
Was told by a friend that Vellucci commented after the game that the Canes told him there was a "chance" Ned might be playing in Carolina tonight and they didn't want him worn out from back-to-back games, so he pulled Ned and put in Booth

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Watched the first period of the Checkers game tonight. Necas scored a great goal 4-on-4 using his speed to blow by the defense. He is able to handle the puck at full speed. I hope he is allowed to go to the junior world championship. It will be great for his confidence.

Also, while he isn't as fast on his edges, Saarela might be as fast as Necas skating in a line. He also left a d-man in his dust tonight. If he can put it all together, he could be a solid scoring winger in the NHL.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Watched the first period of the Checkers game tonight. Necas scored a great goal 4-on-4 using his speed to blow by the defense. He is able to handle the puck at full speed. I hope he is allowed to go to the junior world championship. It will be great for his confidence.

Also, while he isn't as fast on his edges, Saarela might be as fast as Necas skating in a line. He also left a d-man in his dust tonight. If he can put it all together, he could be a solid scoring winger in the NHL.
I wouldn't mind having either in place of Foegele for a bit in hopes of him getting his confidence back in Charlotte. I think he's gotten back a bit closer to his super pest of the first few games, but he looks incredibly frustrated when he creates some of the grade A chances he has and then flubs them.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I believe Necas loses his expansion exemption with anything beyond 2 more GP. Perhaps @Lempo can confirm.

It will be interesting to see how they manage that.

Sure looks like it.

Can't exactly confirm it as they won't publish the ED rules, but the CBA 10.2(a) [as was expertly brought up in another thread recently by @SlavinAway] says about the pro seasons that

For the purposes of this Section 10.2(a), a Player aged 18 or 19 earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more NHL Games in a given NHL Season, and a Player aged 20 or older (or who turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 of the year in which he signs his first SPC) earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more Professional Games under an SPC in a given League Year.

If they count professional seasons like this for the ED purposes, Necas will get one by playing 10 or more NHL games this season. 2019-20 will be second and his ED eligibility counter is thusly up.

(The rule is about gaining RFA status, but it perfectly corresponds to the ELC Slide rules. If Necas' Slide isn't in effect, we must protect.)

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
First half of that game was brutal to watch, like any of the worst Canes games where they couldn't connect a single pass, and we had like 6 shots. Then they took a cheap shot at one of our guys and Roy stepped in to make him pay...that was a turning point in the game. It still wasn't very pretty, but we got more physical and a lot more engaged which led to a better overall effort and level of play

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Then they took a cheap shot at one of our guys and Roy stepped in to make him pay...that was a turning point in the game.
Roy is becoming quite the leader in Charlotte. His play is getting better--again credit to Vellucci. At the AHL level at least, his skating is no longer a problem. On both the penalty kill and power play he makes a decisive play nearly every shift. If he can continue improving he has a shot to be solid in Raleigh. Imagine him playing RW with Staal and Martinook. That would be a true shut-down line.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Roy is becoming quite the leader in Charlotte. His play is getting better--again credit to Vellucci. At the AHL level at least, his skating is no longer a problem. On both the penalty kill and power play he makes a decisive play nearly every shift. If he can continue improving he has a shot to be solid in Raleigh. Imagine him playing RW with Staal and Martinook. That would be a true shut-down line.

Atta boy, Nicolas! :yo:

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Today's game against Utica (sub .500) has been one of the most garbage games I've ever been unlucky enough to watch. To put things in perspective, we had all of 15 successful offensive zone passes completed in the 3rd period, 1 set of 2 passes.

Saarela wins it in OT! Yay, now I can go home and watch water boil to get some excitement going

StiffSquid

Nov 17, 2016
North Carolina
Today's game against Utica (sub .500) has been one of the most garbage games I've ever been unlucky enough to watch. To put things in perspective, we had all of 15 successful offensive zone passes completed in the 3rd period, 1 set of 2 passes.

Saarela wins it in OT! Yay, now I can go home and watch water boil to get some excitement going
It seems like my boy Saarela has been doing pretty good down in Charlotte as of late. Good , Good.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Darling (along with Kuokkanen and Bishop) going back to Checkers.
Ned needs development, and I would argue that Booth might be even more important to the organization's future. I love Darling's story of fighting his way to the NHL. But I can't see how it benefits the Canes to let him try to recreate that fight if it creates a detour for Ned and Booth.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
It better not be interesting. If they bring Necas up this year, it's ****ing malpractice.

it seems unlikely to me that they would put a lot of consideration into contract stuff or expansion draft stuff in this particular case. sometimes maintaining the relationship is worth whatever benefits would be gained from making personnel decisions that keep your best players legally obligated to you as opposed to feeling like they're in a place that values the things they're supposed to value. baseball is seeing a lot of that since the bryce harper nonsense. ronald acuna jr. was sent to the minors for no good reason this year. i can't help but think that when players get jerked around that way, they resolve to never cut their team a break in negotiations. it would be a shame to see a similar trend in hockey where otherwise nhl ready players are being stashed in the minors for reasons other than readiness. if necas goes to the wjc and lights it up, we'd be valuing the wrong things to not give him a chance with the big club again this season in my estimation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad