Checkers IV: Insert Witty Title Here

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
it seems unlikely to me that they would put a lot of consideration into contract stuff or expansion draft stuff in this particular case. sometimes maintaining the relationship is worth whatever benefits would be gained from making personnel decisions that keep your best players legally obligated to you as opposed to feeling like they're in a place that values the things they're supposed to value. baseball is seeing a lot of that since the bryce harper nonsense. ronald acuna jr. was sent to the minors for no good reason this year. i can't help but think that when players get jerked around that way, they resolve to never cut their team a break in negotiations. it would be a shame to see a similar trend in hockey where otherwise nhl ready players are being stashed in the minors for reasons other than readiness. if necas goes to the wjc and lights it up, we'd be valuing the wrong things to not give him a chance with the big club again this season in my estimation.
Hadn't really considered his situation in that light before - it's an excellent point.

Thanks for the perspective.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
this is your absurd statistical reminder that roland mckeown is +44 in his last 90 or so ahl games.

I feel for him, he’s just stuck by ridiculous RD depth. He got 10 games last year in the NHL and didn’t look out of place. And he’s likely going to get screwed even more when we gift Adam Fox a roster spot on this team over him. Pretty certain we have at least a shutdown 3rd pairing defensemen in him. Don’t know if he will ever get his shot here in Carolina unfortunately.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
it seems unlikely to me that they would put a lot of consideration into contract stuff or expansion draft stuff in this particular case. sometimes maintaining the relationship is worth whatever benefits would be gained from making personnel decisions that keep your best players legally obligated to you as opposed to feeling like they're in a place that values the things they're supposed to value. baseball is seeing a lot of that since the bryce harper nonsense. ronald acuna jr. was sent to the minors for no good reason this year. i can't help but think that when players get jerked around that way, they resolve to never cut their team a break in negotiations. it would be a shame to see a similar trend in hockey where otherwise nhl ready players are being stashed in the minors for reasons other than readiness. if necas goes to the wjc and lights it up, we'd be valuing the wrong things to not give him a chance with the big club again this season in my estimation.
Good point, especially also considering that they will be throwing every concession at Fox in the spring to get him sign, from instantly burning a year off his ELC to giving him full $2.85M in potential Performance Bonuses. Keeping another guy prolongedly in AHL at the same time while doing that just to maximize the ED benefits would feel like a FU.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
Good point, especially also considering that they will be throwing every concession at Fox in the spring to get him sign, from instantly burning a year off his ELC to giving him full $2.85M in potential Performance Bonuses. Keeping another guy prolongedly in AHL at the same time while doing that just to maximize the ED benefits would feel like a FU.
While I agree it could be a negative to keep him in the AHL purely for ED considerations. I don't necessarily think bringing him back up would be the best for his development. I think this for a couple reasons:

- Let him dominate the AHL and let him play in the WJC and be on of the best players in the tournament. I think the confidence would help him tremendously. He hasn't played on a team where he's been dominant since his U18 team in 15-16. Let him build that winners mindset, better a winner in Charlotte than a loser in Raleigh

- Do not bring him up unless you are putting him on a line with talent (Aho, Svech). Based on his play in the beginning of the year he is not ready to carry a line. I'm not convinced that hes quite ready yet despite his strong play in Charlotte

- Vellucci is a better coach than Rod and seems to be working wonders with 88's development - lets keep that going.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'm fine with sending him to the WJC. I'm fine with keeping him down after he gets back if they feel it's best. I just think if he proves to earn another shot, whatever they deem that to mean, he shouldn't be held back because of the expansion draft. Him getting to test his new level of experience and confidence in North America at the NHL level before the end of the year could also do wonders for him in the years to come. And even if he comes up here and plays well, but we are losing, I think they just have to paper transaction him to Charlotte on deadline day (think they did with Fleury last year or someone else recently) and he can still go win in Charlotte in the playoffs.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
While I agree it could be a negative to keep him in the AHL purely for ED considerations. I don't necessarily think bringing him back up would be the best for his development. I think this for a couple reasons:

- Let him dominate the AHL and let him play in the WJC and be on of the best players in the tournament. I think the confidence would help him tremendously. He hasn't played on a team where he's been dominant since his U18 team in 15-16. Let him build that winners mindset, better a winner in Charlotte than a loser in Raleigh

- Do not bring him up unless you are putting him on a line with talent (Aho, Svech). Based on his play in the beginning of the year he is not ready to carry a line. I'm not convinced that hes quite ready yet despite his strong play in Charlotte

- Vellucci is a better coach than Rod and seems to be working wonders with 88's development - lets keep that going.

I'm fine with sending him to the WJC. I'm fine with keeping him down after he gets back if they feel it's best. I just think if he proves to earn another shot, whatever they deem that to mean, he shouldn't be held back because of the expansion draft. Him getting to test his new level of experience and confidence in North America at the NHL level before the end of the year could also do wonders for him in the years to come. And even if he comes up here and plays well, but we are losing, I think they just have to paper transaction him to Charlotte on deadline day (think they did with Fleury last year or someone else recently) and he can still go win in Charlotte in the playoffs.

I like both of these things. I don't think they are mutually exclusive. He is looking great...at wing. He needs to be a center in Raleigh. If they let him know this, then there probably won't be a problem. Let him go to WJC and have success for his country. When he gets back, if he is still being very successful at the wing, move him to center and become successful there. Then, talk about if he gets the call up or not.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I've noticed the Checkers have been winning a lot more since moving back to Bojangles Coliseum.

I still dislike that place and think it's an eyesore, but it seems to have magic in it.

All hail the Bojangles.

I absolutely love the venue. Perfect environment for a minor league hockey team. Definitely not pretty on the outside tho.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Never been to Bojangles stadium but took in a lot of games as a laddy at Hershey Sports arena and Bojangles stadium has to be nicer...right?
Not sure if it's the same as what you went to, but I go to a Bears game every year or so, and they feel about comparable to me. You get Bojangles at one and chocolate at another.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Not sure if it's the same as what you went to, but I go to a Bears game every year or so, and they feel about comparable to me. You get Bojangles at one and chocolate at another.

Just looked it up and it looks like they moved to a new place in 2002. Hershey Park Arena > Giant Stadium. I guess that makes sense. I've never been to giant stadium.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad