GDT: Charlotte Hornets and other NBA talk

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Thats depressing news. Dude was a hell of an athlete and did a lot for the sport of Basketball. Honestly my favorite era of NBA hoops would probably be around the time he was dominating. There was a lot of good competition (especially in the West) and Kobe took everyone to school.

Rest In Peace Kobe and Gianna and friends.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Jordan's prime was a bit before my time so Kobe was the first superstar whose prime I can actually remember. Seemed like everyone was on the Lakers bandwagon because of him and Shaq when I was in middle/high school. He was basketball before LeBron and after MJ. RIP Kobe.

Reactions: HisIceness

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI

In case anyone wants to hear why the helicopter crashed.... Essentially the pilot flew into thick fog too low and hit directly into terrain.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Except that he was asking permission to climb above the fog according to his last communication with ATC. So why he ended up diving instead of climbing is still unexplained.
Listening to the interview of the eyewitness, he uses a lot of aviation terms I wouldn't expect from someone not familiar with aircraft. His descriptions of the sounds of the aircraft seem to suggest that a loss of power was probably not the issue. While it could have been another mechanical system issue, such as control systems, the lack of a mayday call and the flight pattern the "ear-witness" described is consistent with a pilot that has become disoriented. What argues against that is that the pilot was purportedly an instructor for instrument ratings on a helicopter. That would seem to indicate he was capable in that weather.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Listening to the interview of the eyewitness, he uses a lot of aviation terms I wouldn't expect from someone not familiar with aircraft. His descriptions of the sounds of the aircraft seem to suggest that a loss of power was probably not the issue. While it could have been another mechanical system issue, such as control systems, the lack of a mayday call and the flight pattern the "ear-witness" described is consistent with a pilot that has become disoriented. What argues against that is that the pilot was purportedly an instructor for instrument ratings on a helicopter. That would seem to indicate he was capable in that weather.

For some reason, he wasn't flying instruments, though. He had asked for Special Visual Flight Rules.

We don't know enough right now, and may never.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
For some reason, he wasn't flying instruments, though. He had asked for Special Visual Flight Rules.

We don't know enough right now, and may never.
I heard that too. I wonder if the helicopter was not equipped with the necessary avionics for those conditions.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Jordan's prime was a bit before my time so Kobe was the first superstar whose prime I can actually remember. Seemed like everyone was on the Lakers bandwagon because of him and Shaq when I was in middle/high school. He was basketball before LeBron and after MJ. RIP Kobe.

Same. Kobe jerseys were the thing when I was in middle school. I'm part of the generation that would yell "Ko-Be!" when balling up paper and tossing it in the trash can like it was a basketball.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

RIP MKG's "jumpshot" in Charlotte.

Marvin Williams gone too :thumbu:

Still stuck with Biyombo, Zeller, and Batum and their awful contracts however :laugh:

Reactions: Lucky Lindy

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
MKG is gone so Jordan will just draft another bust from UNC.

Cole Anthony, come on down! The Hornets are here to ruin whatever career you may have had.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Charlotte continues to prove that it is just a development team for the league. They don’t care about winning.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The Spurs are officially eliminated from playoff contention for the first time since 1997.

Now they will (hopefully) take the Detroit Red Wings approach in rebuilding and fiddle around in suckitude for awhile.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Spurs bandwagon has been thinning out for awhile but they might be Florida Panthers level if they keep missing the playoffs.

TBH I really only care about Zion and Ja myself as a SC native, maybe the Hornets if they ever quit sucking but that's a long shot so I'm probably gonna tune out like much of the NBA fans have already. Their ratings keep declining. Adam Silver has a problem once their TV deal runs out. He better hope Zion stays healthy and keeps developing because once LeBron retires they will have a huge void as a star driven league.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
That sucks. I get not wanting to devalue the regular season results, but that seems to be too far in the other direction.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Spurs bandwagon has been thinning out for awhile but they might be Florida Panthers level if they keep missing the playoffs.

TBH I really only care about Zion and Ja myself as a SC native, maybe the Hornets if they ever quit sucking but that's a long shot so I'm probably gonna tune out like much of the NBA fans have already. Their ratings keep declining. Adam Silver has a problem once their TV deal runs out. He better hope Zion stays healthy and keeps developing because once LeBron retires they will have a huge void as a star driven league.

Luka looks like he will be must-see tv going forward but yeah point taken. A few others like De'Aaron Fox and Devin Booker are fun to watch too but they're also on teams that aren't managed very well.

suns eliminated despite going 8-0 in the bubble

oof

Suns are a cursed franchise. This is proof of said curse.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

-Passed on Luka
-Admitted to the media that he had a better deal for DeMarcus Cousins 2 days before trading him
-Fired Dave Jorger after the teams best season in 13 years and replaced him with, Luke Walton
-Wasted a 13th overall pick on some dude named Georgios Papagiannis, a guy who not only was a bust from the get-go, but wasn't even projected to be drafted at all by some mock boards.

The Kings will still likely be a mess but Divac won't be in charge anymore, so there's that.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I want the least star studded and smallest market finals possible, that way ESPN loses their shit, so go Magic and Jazz :nod:

Pacers and Blazers are fine too, but I know the Blazers will get boned by the league somehow.

Last edited:

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Kemba Walker advances to the 2nd round for the first time in his career, he's also officially won more playoff games in Boston than he did in Charlotte. But, it's the Celtics and their fans (the ones that come to Spectrum Center) are douchebag know-nothing bandwagon assholes. Torn here.

Sixers should go ahead and end the Brett Brown era. Might end the Joel Embiid era too, although I think he stays for at least one more season as he doesn't hit UFA status for another 3 years.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
So yeah, Luka is good at basketball. The Suns, Kings, and Hawks should be shot into the sun for passing on this man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad