GDT: Charlotte Hornets and other NBA talk

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Why in the world would OKC do this? Is the Lakers going to come in and take Chris Paul from OKC. I don’t see how Paul does anything for OKC. They get two 1st rounders over the next decade not even soon.

Houston will regret this from a chemistry standpoint. Westbrook is much more of a slasher than distributor.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Why in the world would OKC do this? Is the Lakers going to come in and take Chris Paul from OKC. I don’t see how Paul does anything for OKC. They get two 1st rounders over the next decade not even soon.

Houston will regret this from a chemistry standpoint. Westbrook is much more of a slasher than distributor.

My guess is OKC is now realizing that Westbrook isn't taking them past the first round anytime soon, especially now since Paul George is out, and he isn't getting any younger. They'll probably ship Chris Paul elsewhere since it seems like the Heat for some reason really want him.

At some point the Thunder were going to have to blow it up and start over w/o the Triple-Double king. Triple-Doubles are nice but they don't get you past round 1.

That has got to hurt like a punch to the groin...

Julius Hodge agrees.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
OKC is sooooooo screwed.

And Chris Paul is screwed even worse. Good. I never liked him.
I think they have acquired something like 8 first round picks from their trades so far. That seems like a good building block, unless they’re always in the high 20s. We’ll see. This is certainly the beginning of a massive rebuild.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

Can't wait for the eventual 30 for 30 Curse of the Sonics

If they're following the Sixers Path to Processing, this is legitimately Step 1

Yeah but instead of drafting Joel Embiid or Ben Simmons they'll just settle for the guys that bust and have broken jump shots like Michael Kidd-Gilcrest. Then they will sign those guys to un-tradeable contracts. Once again, just a friendly reminder that Jordan may be a top-5 player of all time but he's up there with Dolan, Sarver, and Sterling as worst owner ever.

I think they have acquired something like 8 first round picks from their trades so far. That seems like a good building block, unless they’re always in the high 20s. We’ll see. This is certainly the beginning of a massive rebuild.

The picks from Houston will likely be around the 20's as will the pick(s) they are acquiring from the Clippers. The Miami pick(s) have a better lottery chance but the Heat will probably be like the Hurricanes were for 10 years, not good enough for playoffs but not bad enough to pick in the top-5 at worst.

Either way they're in for some lean years but they have a great opportunity to pull themselves out of a bad situation in the next 3-4 seasons.

Reactions: DaveG

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
DeMarcus Cousins out with ACL tear in his knee. The Sacramento Kings got a lot of shit for trading him but it looks like they either knew what they were doing or just got lucky here and sold off their asset before he depreciated in value.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Report: Michael Jordan selling ‘large piece’ of Charlotte Hornets

At first I read this as "Michael Jordan is selling the team" and became optimistic but it turns out he's just selling a chunk to some minority investors but will remain majority owner. Oh well.
Didn't Karmanos do a similar thing with the Canes before selling the majority? He might just be trying to gauge how much he could get if he put it on the market. Hopefully he does eventually sell. One of the worst owners in sports, although there a lot of them.

Reactions: HisIceness

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I don't know why anyone would even want to buy into the Hornets at this point.

I mean, if Alonzo Mourning and Larry Johnson and Muggsy Bogues want to buy in, fine. That would be fun and cool. But otherwise, man oh man, that's a hard team to care about.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I hear there's a group in Quebec City looking for a team, even got an arena. They really wanted a Carolina-based team, here's their shot :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad