Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy VI re-signed, 8 yrs @ 9.5 aav

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Still zero, had to bump because I just realized this....not worried, but absolutely shocked
Haven't noticed, haven't even cared enough to think about. Why? Because his defensive skills have improved ten fold and that is his first job. He has been frggin amazing behind that blue line this year.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
mcavoy has been better the past 10 games.
still think when he gets a goal they will start going in for him.
i think carlo with chara is the better pairing though.

Reactions: TCB

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
mcavoy has been better the past 10 games.
still think when he gets a goal they will start going in for him.
i think carlo with chara is the better pairing though.

I agree with this and have for some time. Let them be the shutdown pair and let McAvoy generate a little more offense.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Bad year for him. Even if his defense has improved, every year he doesn’t turn into doughty brings more and more doubt into his ability to do so. And 0 goals in 38 games isn’t something doughty has ever done

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Bad year for him. Even if his defense has improved, every year he doesn’t turn into doughty brings more and more doubt into his ability to do so. And 0 goals in 38 games isn’t something doughty has ever done

Expecting him to be the best D in the NHL is a bit lofty.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
McAvoy is 5th among Bs D in shots taken this season (52 shots in 38 games), yet is the leading Bs skater in ATOI. Last season he was in roughly the same spot. Difference is that last season he had a shooting pct of 9%, which led all Bs D that played a significant number of games. The season before last he shot 9% as well. This season he is shooting 0%. It makes very little sense. Clearly the kid can shoot halfway well. I think a good part of it has to be that he started off slow offensively and now it is in his head. Another part I have noticed is that he is not taking as many chances going deep into the ozone as he has in the past, which I believe is due to not wanting his pairing to get burned going the other way. Last season breakaways from the other team were a real problem, so I think the coaches have told Charlie to play more conservatively in the ozone. Charlie is still shooting about as many shots per game as in the past, but they are lower quality shots. He is still young and feeling things out, and improving all the while. I have no doubt the offense from Charlie will be back. Very fortunate he is a Bruin.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I don't think his focus is goal scoring.

I imagine he could... he has more talent than the majority of forwards. I think the Bruins are pushing him to be an elite shutdown, puck moving defenseman. A good plan if Krug is sticking around.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
ZERO goals in 33 games IS kind of scary though :confused:

it is and it is a massive issue for this fan when I read fans discussing moving Krug. While I love the minutes CM is able to eat, he hasn`t shown anywhere near the productivity needed to allow DS or others to say comfortably they could afford to move Krug

No opponent worries one bit about him once he crosses the blue line, no need to back up, same can`t be said with Krug

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Name me 30 defensemen you'd take over McAvoy.

If I must
Carlson
Josi
Hedman
Pietrangelo
Parayko
Yandle
Makar
Karlsson
Ellis
Chychrun
Krug
Carlo
Suter
Burns
Rielly
Doughty
Provorov
Chabot
Heiskanen
Dahlin
Jones
Ekblad
Slavvin
Werenski
Ekman-larrson
Klingberg
Mcdonagh
Hughes
Letang
Keith
Lindell
Hamilton
Pionk
Morrissey

All having better seasons than mcavoy is

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
If I must
Carlson
Josi
Hedman
Pietrangelo
Parayko
Yandle
Makar
Karlsson
Ellis
Chychrun
Krug
Carlo
Suter
Burns
Rielly
Doughty
Provorov
Chabot
Heiskanen
Dahlin
Jones
Ekblad
Slavvin
Werenski
Ekman-larrson
Klingberg
Mcdonagh
Hughes
Letang
Keith
Lindell
Hamilton
Pionk
Morrissey

What stats are telling you they’re having a better season, points? Are you considering upside? Because I noticed you have a 36yr old Keith ahead of him.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
If I must
Carlson
Josi
Hedman
Pietrangelo
Parayko
Yandle
Makar
Karlsson
Ellis
Chychrun
Krug
Carlo
Suter
Burns
Rielly
Doughty
Provorov
Chabot
Heiskanen
Dahlin
Jones
Ekblad
Slavvin
Werenski
Ekman-larrson
Klingberg
Mcdonagh
Hughes
Letang
Keith
Lindell
Hamilton
Pionk
Morrissey

Charlie is currently 13th in assists 5 on 5. He's not going to get the high end point totals without the PP. Overall he's been fine. Could be a lot better. Way too reactionary for a defenseman that just turned 22 9 days ago. McAvoy will be fine.

Reactions: wintersej

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I think he will be fine but surprised he has already been anointed a Bruin that should be beyond criticism. To think the Bruins wouldn’t be concerned with his point production is laughable IMO

I think 'concerned' is perhaps slightly too strong a word. Looking at the Bruins' top 5 defenders, ageless Chara has the most even strength points with 13, followed by McAvoy and Carlo with 12, Krug with 11 and Gryz with 6. Chara again leads the +/- tallies with 19, then Chucky with 13, Carlo with 9, and Krug and Gryz with 2 each.

Of course McAvoy has more TOI than anyone else except Chara, but his points production (.342 PPG) and general contribution to goal scoring is still perfectly respectable relative to his teammates'. However it's certainly down on last season's, when he lodged .519 PPG. If he can get it above the .400 mark by season's end I think the B's coaches would be content with that. A few goals would obviously be nice, and would also probably give him a little confidence boost, but I think as long as he's banking semi-regular assists management will feel that he's doing his job offensively.

So I'd say that there'd clearly be a desire for him to up his production rate, but I wouldn't say it would be overly concerning as to where it's currently at, unless they knew or strongly suspected that Krug is leaving and were hoping for Charlie to be at least partly able to fill that void. The Bs don't play or set up in a way that facilitates high points-scoring by defenders, nor do I think it's expected of anyone outside of Torey, and Cassidy would never tolerate a guy like Karlsson who is suspect in his own zone no matter how many points he provided at the other end. McAvoy needs to find more of his offensive game again, no question, but as long as he keeps playing on D the way he has for the last month or so then the general feeling will be that he's well-earning his spot and pay check.

Reactions: LouJersey

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
If I must
Carlson
Josi
Hedman
Pietrangelo
Parayko
Yandle
Makar
Karlsson
Ellis
Chychrun
Krug
Carlo
Suter
Burns
Rielly
Doughty
Provorov
Chabot
Heiskanen
Dahlin
Jones
Ekblad
Slavvin
Werenski
Ekman-larrson
Klingberg
Mcdonagh
Hughes
Letang
Keith
Lindell
Hamilton
Pionk
Morrissey

So for one, points are your go to for a defenseman? Lol to that.

Second. You would take all 30 over McAvoy?

Reactions: Jean_Jacket41
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad