Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy VI re-signed, 8 yrs @ 9.5 aav

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I think he will be fine but surprised he has already been anointed a Bruin that should be beyond criticism. To think the Bruins wouldn’t be concerned with his point production is laughable IMO

Certainly under the projections many had for him stat wise. Especially goal scoring. Didn't expect as many goals as Weber, but Sergechev yes

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
If I must
Carlson
Josi
Hedman
Pietrangelo
Parayko
Yandle
Makar
Karlsson
Ellis
Chychrun
Krug
Carlo
Suter
Burns
Rielly
Doughty
Provorov
Chabot
Heiskanen
Dahlin
Jones
Ekblad
Slavvin
Werenski
Ekman-larrson
Klingberg
Mcdonagh
Hughes
Letang
Keith
Lindell
Hamilton
Pionk
Morrissey

All having better seasons than mcavoy is

I would add Weber, Petry, Ekholm, Dumoulin,
Giordano, Burns, Ekblad, Pesce, Sergachev.

Macavoy wasn't good first 20 games. He was better last 20.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
If you're expecting McAvoy to carry the offense, especially if Krug leave his #'s this year don't leave you confident.

This is the same McAvoy that scored 7 goals, 28 points in 54 games (0.52 PPG pace) last year and 7 goals, 32 points in 63 games the year prior (0.51 PPG pace). Over an 82 game season, those stats would equal out to:

2018-2019 = 10 goals, 31 assists, 41 Points
2017-2018 = 9 goals, 33 assists, 42 Points

He has 73 career points in 155 NHL games, 0.47 PPG pace. Out of the 73 career points, 62 of those points have come from even strength. McAvoy plays 2nd unit PP for the most part.

I don't really understand why so much weight is put into this season and the previous 2 seasons where McAvoy scored goals is ignored. Well, I do know why.... Because it doesn't fit the narrative of being the shaking nervous Bruins fan with piss-filled shoes looking for something to complain and be negative about.

His career numbers leave me more than confident he can produce offense on the back-end. You don't luck your way into producing at 0.50 PPG as a defenseman. He has all-around skill. He does this while playing top pairing minutes against the other teams' best, superb defense, and bringing physicality. McAvoy is a #1 defenseman in this league. He's 22 years old. Some of the posts in here are hilarious, ridiculous, and predictable. People need to get a grip instead of looking at specific stats, and crapping their pants over it.

His 0 goals this season sucks. It's what is bringing his production down a bit. He still is producing at 0.34 PPG. As a defenseman, with limited PP time, that's still very good. And he's doing that while doing everything above.

Last edited:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
This is the same McAvoy that scored 7 goals, 28 points in 54 games (0.52 PPG pace) last year and 7 goals, 32 points in 63 games the year prior (0.51 PPG pace). Over an 82 game season, those stats would equal out to:

He has 73 career points in 155 NHL games, 0.47 PPG pace. Out of the 73 career points, 62 of those points have come from even strength. McAvoy plays 2nd unit PP for the most part.

I don't really understand why so much weight is put into this season and the previous 2 seasons where McAvoy scored goals is ignored. Well, I do know why.... Because it doesn't fit the narrative of being the shaking nervous Bruins fan with piss-filled shoes looking for something to complain and be negative about.

His career numbers leave me more than confident he can produce offense on the back-end. You don't luck your way into producing at 0.50 PPG as a defenseman. He has all-around skill. He does this while playing top pairing minutes against the other teams' best, superb defense, and bringing physicality. McAvoy is a #1 defenseman in this league. He's 22 years old. Some of the posts in here are hilarious, ridiculous, and predictable. People need to get a grip instead of looking at specific stats, and crapping their pants over it.

His 0 goals this season sucks. It's what is bringing his production down a bit. He still is producing at 0.34 PPG. As a defenseman, with limited PP time, that's still very good. And he's doing that while doing everything above.

I guess put me in the I'm concerned with 0 goals narrative

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
So because McAvoy hasn't scored this season, that just erases everything else? :laugh:

It's a significant step back in play for a young defenseman, which is a completely valid concern to have. Even if it is against your Binky.

There's been many a young defenseman that goes from looking like a future #1 D to a JAG in the blink of an eye.

Example: Tyler Myers

Reactions: Estlin

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
It's a significant step back in play for a young defenseman, which is a completely valid concern to have. Even if it is against your Binky.

There's been many a young defenseman that goes from looking like a future #1 D to a JAG in the blink of an eye.

Example: Tyler Myers

McAvoy is my binky? His lack of goal scoring this season isn't good but he's still producing assists (with lack of PP time), and has played very well lately. He started slow and has returned to form.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Bad year for him. Even if his defense has improved, every year he doesn’t turn into doughty brings more and more doubt into his ability to do so. And 0 goals in 38 games isn’t something doughty has ever done
putting aside the stupidity of insisting that a particular young player should "turn into" another player...

McAvoy & Doughty had nearly identical per-game point production in their first 2 seasons. The two differences were that McAvoy missed games in his first two seasons where Doughty didn't, and Doughty got roughly half of his points on the powerplay in his first 2 years whereas McAvoy got 85% of his points at even strength.

So McAvoy, who literally just turned 22 like a week ago, has arguably better offensive production rates thru his first 2 seasons than doughty did with the only real issue being durability.

Reactions: wintersej

Top Shelf Wrister

Jan 16, 2017

When did Victor Hedman finally turn it on so to speak? I can remember it really wasnt till 25 when he started bringing snarl and pushed back. Hedman can control the backend better now that hes grown and experienced. Shoot, CM73 JUST STARTED BUYING BEER LAST YEAR! Im with you pal, you dont luck into .5ppg as a defenseman before you turn 22.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
I honestly can’t think of anything that concerns me less in regards to McAvoy, nevermind ANY defenseman, than how many goals he has...

Is he doing a great job against the other teams top lines? Sure is. Does he make great decisions in his own zone? Sure does. Does he make good plays in the offensive zone despite not having a plethora of points? Sure does.

there is only one thing about Chuck McAvoy that concerns me and that is durability. Goals? Talk about criticism for the sake of criticizing something.

aguineapig

A quick check of the stat sheet shows our boy Brandon Carlo has as many goals as Thomas Chabot. Now Carlo we know is employed as a shut down D, while Chabot plays as if a member of the Roamin' Legion. Is this apples to apples, as having watched Carlo we know he has 2 empty's and a knuckle pucker seeing eye puck goal ? Charlie Mc plays top minutes against the opposition's top lines, he hits, he skates the puck out and distributes it as needed on a top three team in the standings and goals against. Logs 23 mins plus, while sporting a +13. Very Dallas Smith like to me, Bobby and Vadnais did PP, but Dallas did a ton of the heavy lifting and hitting.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Question of the 30...all things considered, age, contract, etc.....who would you trade for straight up and why?

Of Montcristo's list, two for whom I think I would do a one-for-one trade would be Seth Jones and Cale Makar. Both are RHD. Jones is older but bigger, more established and more durable. Makar is a dynamic rookie but smaller, yet with more offensive upside.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
If you're expecting McAvoy to carry the offense, especially if Krug leave his #'s this year don't leave you confident.
No I’m not expecting him to carry the offense, the kid was playing around 30 minutes a game
I’ll take that and pinch in with some offense here and there

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
No I’m not expecting him to carry the offense, the kid was playing around 30 minutes a game
I’ll take that and pinch in with some offense here and there

I thought hed be a 50-60 point Dman eventually. This bridge deal was a chance to prove be was worth the big long term contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad