Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy VI re-signed, 8 yrs @ 9.5 aav

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Covering for Chara’s speed is taking away from his game IMO.

I really want to see more of the Gryz/McAvoy pairing. It very well will be our main pairing of the future.

If there is anything I learned from the last Caps game is that we rely heavily on players knowing each other for making plays.
A ton of passing off the mark or to no one because they were expecting someone to be there. Not a problem, just shows how much the players on our team need to play with the same linemates game in and game out so they can make improvised plays on the fly and not just give the puck to the opponent in trying to do so.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins’ Charlie McAvoy had himself a game to build on - The Boston Globe

Charlie McAvoy had himself a fine night at TD Garden on Saturday. All the finer, of course, if his two assists and his astute, heavy and gritty work on defense had been bundled into a victory.

Instead, the Bruins were losers yet again, for a fifth time in six games (1-2-3) on a night when they again never trailed on the scoreboard until the lights were being dimmed, the ice chips swept up, and the PA announcer was wishing the sellout crowd a safe trip home.

“He was terrific tonight,” said coach Bruce Cassidy, praising McAvoy after the 3-2 shootout loss to the Capitals. “Level of competition tends to bring out the best in Charlie — we certainly saw that tonight. We needed it against a heavier group. He took the challenge head on. It’s a tougher game for the [likes of Matt Grzelcyks and Connor Cliftons] of the world. Charlie was good at both ends of the ice. I thought he was excellent.”

McAvoy, the Black-and-Gold franchise defenseman in waiting, is still filling in his game. A quarter of the way into the new season, he still doesn’t have a goal. There have been nights recently when his game, to be kind, has been spotty. Cassidy just last week was saying he needed to see more, both offensively and defensively, from the ex-Boston University blue liner.

If nothing else, the Bruins added a point in the standings, and McAvoy added a growth ring. Silencing Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, and Wilson is only slightly harder than a preschool teacher maintaining classroom order at noon on Friday.

Is it the challenge alone that brings out the best in McAvoy?

A good question, because he gets top lines every night,” said Cassidy. “So . . . we’ll go back 24 hours [in Toronto], he’s got [John] Tavares or he’s got [Auston] Matthews — one or the other all night. But tonight, maybe with a heavier opponent . . . I can’t really say why because he is tasked with defending against excellent forwards every night. I can’t say they are old, because it is a young league but definitely high-end players.

“But tonight, he just had it.”

Reactions: The National

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
had a great game last nite.
really want to keep him paired with grizz. and chara with carlo.
chara and carlo should be our last minute pair. and no pastrnak out there laat minute!!

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
That is what I expect out of Charlie, great game. He does not need to score just be a more mobile Carlo. Soon as he gets a partner that can share in the skating game and fast puck moving the better he will get at just playing his game.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Was looking over Charlie's game by game stats and noticed he officially only has one hit in his past three games. I don't fixate on hit totals and know that stat is often given too much weight, but how the f*** has he only been credited with one hit in the past three games? Stevie Wonder doing stat keeping now?

Reactions: Emerz

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
had a great game last nite.
really want to keep him paired with grizz. and chara with carlo.
chara and carlo should be our last minute pair. and no pastrnak out there laat minute!!

he smoked someone last night - great hit, although can't remember who it was or when it happened.
perils of not watching closely.

agree on pasta too. cassidy doesn't put him out there to protect a 2 goal lead against anaheim
when he had a chance at 5 goals, but he's out there protecting a 1 goal lead against the best team
in hockey? bizarre.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Was looking over Charlie's game by game stats and noticed he officially only has one hit in his past three games. I don't fixate on hit totals and know that stat is often given too much weight, but how the **** has he only been credited with one hit in the past three games? Stevie Wonder doing stat keeping now?
He had 2 last night... :huh:

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
He had 2 last night... :huh:
Yeah, hockey reference has him with 1 last night, 0 against Toronto, and 0 against Florida. I could swear he had at least a couple against Toronto alone. Ah well, kid has been bringing the physical in any case. Love it when he starts throwing the body around.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Charlie is a great guy to have on the back end capable of making a statement. Remember when he burst on to the scene in 2017? Guy pulled himself out of position all the time but was absolutely smoking people with hits.

He’s not a fighter but you can’t underrate the guy capable of making a big statement physically or throwing that “retaliatory” big hit on an opponent trying to assert themselves physically.

He has his bad nights, but I just can’t let go of how damn good he is on his good nights.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
he smoked someone last night - great hit, although can't remember who it was or when it happened.
perils of not watching closely.

agree on pasta too. cassidy doesn't put him out there to protect a 2 goal lead against anaheim
when he had a chance at 5 goals, but he's out there protecting a 1 goal lead against the best team
in hockey? bizarre.

He crushed Tom Wilson, who then went on to hold McAvoy's stick with one hand for a good 15 seconds in front of the ref with no call. Chara goes over to separate the two and somehow gets a roughing penalty for just being there.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He crushed Tom Wilson, who then went on to hold McAvoy's stick with one hand for a good 15 seconds in front of the ref with no call. Chara goes over to separate the two and somehow gets a roughing penalty for just being there.

Makes no sense
OT :was pretty certain there was another thread where many would insist that Wilson is a guy who nobody would lay a hand on let alone hit knowing he likes to drop the mitts and intimidates all? :popcorn:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
lmao Wilson wanted no part of McAvoy which is kind of funny considering Wilson's supposed to be a tough guy. Makes me wonder if he felt McAvoy's raw stallion power & was like "nope"

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

yes, wilson. although the hit i was thinking of was andreas johnsson from friday.
paying attention is fun :scared:

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Wilson is not afraid of McAvoy. Don’t be ridiculous.
Of course Wilson is not afraid of Big Mac, its like saying Dave Schultz would be afraid of Gary Doak.
One thing that is a fact though, as long as the Bruins have Chara, Wilson will have to look over his shoulder. He would have no part of fighting with Chara!
And I do not blame him.

Reactions: Jim

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
“Charlie McAvoy was matched up against Alex Ovechkin for 12:04 of 5v5 TOI on Saturday:
During that stretch, Boston held a:
- 9-7 edge in 5v5 shot attempts.
- 6-1 edge in 5v5 scoring chances.
- 1-0 edge in goals.’

MacDaddy!
Great info.
His overall play on dee this year has been very good and when he hits, he brings another level to his game, reminds me of Scott Stevens. Keep up the great work Charlie.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
He’s been caught doing too much too often this season. Really wish he’d get back to the basics.

I’ve noticed over parts of the season- and maybe I’m just over analyzing- but I don’t think he trusts Chara. And that plays into my first sentence.
There’s been various times when the easy/right play was to pas it back to Chara and he opts to turn the other way and look for another outlet. Which is fine but it usually burns him.

Imo however I do like the pairing of him and Gryz. I’d like to see more of it. Maybe place Chara-Moore together? From what I remember that pairing has been solid in the past. Moore is solid on his off hand. I’m not as crazy about Chara-Clifton though.

Reactions: Cam14b

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Production isn’t what it usually is but I think he’s been fine and it wouldn’t shock me to see him get hot offensively at some point soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad