Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy VI re-signed, 8 yrs @ 9.5 aav

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Petry, for one, who doesn't belong anywhere near that list.

Parayko, Provorov, Heiskanen, Weber

Doughty and Burns both had shitty years, but I want to see if that was a fluke or if they've both fallen off the cliff before I definitely write them off

If you could insert Shea Weber at the same familiarity
of teammates, I take Weber.

Petry is a lot better than you give him credit for.

I said arguably better and everyone of those players
are first pair level.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Can we talk about how he didn't pass or stand out positively by any statistical measure in this series yet was very obviously the best defenseman and IMO best player on the ice, playing nearly 5 minutes more per game than any other D-man on the team?

Lesson: look beyond the stat-sheet

Sometime.

Otherwise, Bjork has been one of the better forwards.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Can we talk about how he didn't pass or stand out positively by any statistical measure in this series yet was very obviously the best defenseman and IMO best player on the ice, playing nearly 5 minutes more per game than any other D-man on the team?

5 GP: 0 G, 2 A, 2 P, -2

Of the 22 Bruins that played:

- Most PIMs on the team
- 7th in shots
- 11th in CF%
- 12th in FF%
- T-21st in +/-
- 11th in xGF%
- 10th highest Ozone start %

Lesson: look beyond the stat-sheet

Why look at him against the whole team though? Wouldn't it make more sense to see how he looked compared to the rest of the defensive group?

-T-1st in points
-2nd in shots
-2nd in ixG
-2nd in iCF
-3rd in iSCF
-2nd in blocks
-4th in hits

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
It may already be happening but I think next season if Krug isn’t resigned. You need let McAvoy loose 5 on 5. If Chara comes back let him mentor Clifton or one of the rookies on the 3rd pair.
I think next year will be Chara’s last.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Charlie McAvoy’s crushing check was a big hit with some Hall of Famers - The Boston Globe

“I was just talking to a friend about that hit,” the Hall of Fame defenseman said. “Holy cow. How big is he?”
Listed at 6 feet, 208 pounds.

“Geez,” Potvin said. “I suppose it doesn’t surprise me, coming from any Bruin, to go hit a guy who’s a lot bigger.”

“That was like hitting a truck, that’s for sure,” said Bruins president Cam Neely, who was watching from his post in the team’s Scotiabank Arena suite. “It’s hard in the building when there isn’t the energy from the fans. You have to create that energy on your own.”

“He stays low through the hit, lets his strength do the work for him without exploding, and avoids the head entirely,” said a senior league official, requesting anonymity to speak freely on the hit. “Just textbook from a rules perspective.”

Potvin and fellow Hall of Famer Brad Park, at the top of the game in the ’70s and ’80s, got away with plenty more in their day, but this was one they’d be proud of.

“Staal didn’t even look up, which, uh-oh,” said Park. “He closed on him so quickly.”

“If you’re initiating that hit, it’s like hitting a golf ball 300 yards,” Potvin said. “There’s no effort to it. You don’t even feel it. It’s right on the numbers.

“I’m very impressed with McAvoy. He’s quick to make the pass, and move his feet. He doesn’t glide. I like his instincts. He’s got great vision of the ice.”

Park agreed: “His intensity is terrific. He’s not a big guy. He’s not going to win every battle in the corner, but he’s going to go in the corner. He plays with the right kind of aggression.”

Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy plays a zone defense, but McAvoy’s closing speed lets him break out of the layered structure, challenge opponents all over the ice, and retreat quickly.
“He is one guy we’ll allow to stray a little bit,” Cassidy said, “because he can excel with his vision and hockey IQ and timing. We don’t want to stifle that.”

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
The top 3 D are head and shoulders above the rest.
Hedman, Jones & Josi. There are probably another
at least 10 D you can make an honest argument
for. You mentioned two others. In no order here are
some others.

Parayko, Doughty, Provorov, Makar, Dahlin, Heiskenen,
Petry, Weber, Burns.

Woof. Dude Petry never has and never will deserve to be mentioned anywhere in the same sentence as McAvoy. Bizarre how his name came to your mind when naming elite dman. I honestly don’t think he cracks our right side

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Charlie McAvoy’s crushing check was a big hit with some Hall of Famers - The Boston Globe

“I was just talking to a friend about that hit,” the Hall of Fame defenseman said. “Holy cow. How big is he?”
Listed at 6 feet, 208 pounds.

“Geez,” Potvin said. “I suppose it doesn’t surprise me, coming from any Bruin, to go hit a guy who’s a lot bigger.”

“That was like hitting a truck, that’s for sure,” said Bruins president Cam Neely, who was watching from his post in the team’s Scotiabank Arena suite. “It’s hard in the building when there isn’t the energy from the fans. You have to create that energy on your own.”

“He stays low through the hit, lets his strength do the work for him without exploding, and avoids the head entirely,” said a senior league official, requesting anonymity to speak freely on the hit. “Just textbook from a rules perspective.”

Potvin and fellow Hall of Famer Brad Park, at the top of the game in the ’70s and ’80s, got away with plenty more in their day, but this was one they’d be proud of.

“Staal didn’t even look up, which, uh-oh,” said Park. “He closed on him so quickly.”

“If you’re initiating that hit, it’s like hitting a golf ball 300 yards,” Potvin said. “There’s no effort to it. You don’t even feel it. It’s right on the numbers.

“I’m very impressed with McAvoy. He’s quick to make the pass, and move his feet. He doesn’t glide. I like his instincts. He’s got great vision of the ice.”

Park agreed: “His intensity is terrific. He’s not a big guy. He’s not going to win every battle in the corner, but he’s going to go in the corner. He plays with the right kind of aggression.”

Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy plays a zone defense, but McAvoy’s closing speed lets him break out of the layered structure, challenge opponents all over the ice, and retreat quickly.
“He is one guy we’ll allow to stray a little bit,” Cassidy said, “because he can excel with his vision and hockey IQ and timing. We don’t want to stifle that.”

Awesome post thanks.Loved reading this.McAvoy is fast becoming my favorite Bruin and to think I wanted Chychrun.:eek:

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Woof. Dude Petry never has and never will deserve to be mentioned anywhere in the same sentence as McAvoy. Bizarre how his name came to your mind when naming elite dman. I honestly don’t think he cracks our right side

Lol, you're completely delusional.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Can you say this when you said Jeff Petry is arguably better than McAvoy?

Lol, I hate to introduce you to REALITY, but McAvoy
has missed 20% of available RS games since he came into the league. Petry has missed ZEROOOOOOOO.

That alone puts Petry at least in a conversation of
who has impacted his team to its betterment. You're
useless if you aren't playing, so sorry to bring the real
world into this. Further if you seriously don't
think that there are segments totaling say
30% of each players season where Petry has outperformed McAvoy you are not honest.
Not to say Petry is ACTUALLY better than McAvoy
because McAvoy probably outperforms Petry
40% of the time. That's usually how the real world
works.

Then to equate the evaluation of Petry against
McAvoy to Petry against Clifton (which you did)
is a joke.

Finally there is a mainboard thread about the top
4 Dmen under 25. I have McAvoy top 4, so don't
give me garbage I don't value McAvoy.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I’d like to see them get creative and sign Krug to a one year deal ~ with COVID and Krug history of betting on self the Bruins could go $6.5 M and make Krug a UFA next season and expansion exempt and resign him after 4-5 years

that would allow Chara to retire and go major uptempo next season

Grzelcyk-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Lauzon -Clifton
Zboril
Vaakanainen

yowza !!!

Reactions: Over the volcano

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I’d like to see them get creative and sign Krug to a one year deal ~ with COVID and Krug history of betting on self the Bruins could go $6.5 M and make Krug a UFA next season and expansion exempt and resign him after 4-5 years

that would allow Chara to retire and go major uptempo next season

Grzelcyk-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Lauzon -Clifton
Zboril
Vaakanainen

yowza !!!

Great theory but I don't think that passes the NHL watch dogs. They warned against such scenarios before the Vegas draft don't think they'll be any more lenient this time.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Great theory but I don't think that passes the NHL watch dogs. They warned against such scenarios before the Vegas draft don't think they'll be any more lenient this time.
Covid-19 with a lower cap and healthy concerns it’s something I could see whether they want him long term or not the league would have no case

I’m Krug and Bruins offer me 1 year deal in these times of uncertainty for $6.5 M I take it

Reactions: JOKER 192

The Laukomotive

Nov 26, 2017
people still not giving chara the props he deserves. Guy is still a beast.

What? All I'm saying is that Chara can be exposed through speed if he and his pair don't play conservative in the offensive zone. Is that controversial?

In the d-zone guy is still a beast in front of the crease.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Covid-19 with a lower cap and healthy concerns it’s something I could see whether they want him long term or not the league would have no case

I’m Krug and Bruins offer me 1 year deal in these times of uncertainty for $6.5 M I take it

Ya, that's a good point.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Mcavoy was one of the few guys playing a full game with heart last night, but the two penalties targeting Kucherov were stupid. He can’t be doing that as our #1 defenseman.

Whether Kucherov baited him into it or deserved it or not you gotta stay out of the box in the playoffs. The last one didn’t matter so much as we were already down by quite a bit, but that first one we still had a chance.

Love his game but that would be my only criticism.

Reactions: Merrrlin

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Mcavoy was one of the few guys playing a full game with heart last night, but the two penalties targeting Kucherov were stupid. He can’t be doing that as our #1 defenseman.

Whether Kucherov baited him into it or deserved it or not you gotta stay out of the box in the playoffs. The last one didn’t matter so much as we were already down by quite a bit, but that first one we still had a chance.

Love his game but that would be my only criticism.

Or if he's gonna take the penalties, make them worth it.

Wear Kucherov down, hit him, hit him hard and when you can.

Reactions: The National
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad