Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy VI re-signed, 8 yrs @ 9.5 aav

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I really dread the possibility that this management group is gonna f*** it up when he's up for his next contract.

A guy like him can and will demand a huge payday and I worry the Bruins will lowball him. Really hope I'm wrong.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
I really dread the possibility that this management group is gonna f*** it up when he's up for his next contract.

A guy like him can and will demand a huge payday and I worry the Bruins will lowball him. Really hope I'm wrong.

This deal he signed he was already lowballed in my opinion... 4.9mil per is nothing to sneeze at, but he's one of the best D's in the game... I think 6.5-7 mil per will be where he's at next contract but certainly could get more elsewhere. Part of why I hate that they don't give him #1PP time is that I don't want him to get disgruntled he isn't getting that opportunity which he absolutely deserves.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

Where did this come from?
Harry or MOC aren't doin the negotiating

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
This deal he signed he was already lowballed in my opinion... 4.9mil per is nothing to sneeze at, but he's one of the best D's in the game... I think 6.5-7 mil per will be where he's at next contract but certainly could get more elsewhere. Part of why I hate that they don't give him #1PP time is that I don't want him to get disgruntled he isn't getting that opportunity which he absolutely deserves.
the deal he got is fine because it's basically a bridge deal. It's similar to Marchand's bridge deal.

But I think you're off on his next deal. It'll be something more like $10 mil. He's a bonafide franchise D. Hell he could have a Norris by then

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
the deal he got is fine because it's basically a bridge deal. It's similar to Marchand's bridge deal.

But I think you're off on his next deal. It'll be something more like $10 mil. He's a bonafide franchise D. Hell he could have a Norris by then

I agree he could get 10... I don't think the Bruins will offer it, that's what I was saying. They have a way they do things and the players seem to buy in on it. Leave some on the table so management can put together a better team. 7.5 is the most I seeing the Bruins offering.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I agree he could get 10... I don't think the Bruins will offer it, that's what I was saying. They have a way they do things and the players seem to buy in on it. Leave some on the table so management can put together a better team. 7.5 is the most I seeing the Bruins offering.

Well, at minimum it's going to start at $7.3 million. You really think all they are going to do is offer a $200k raise?

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Well, at minimum it's going to start at $7.3 million. You really think all they are going to do is offer a $200k raise?

I obviously didn't look into all that... you're the head honcho with regards to that. I don't know man... with how this team handles the cap, I can't see them offering a ton more than that... maybe 8.5? I suppose it all depends what their situation is when the contract is up.

Reactions: DominicT

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015

He seems to be a pretty humble guy, can't see him demanding anything out of the park but he will definitely be the highest paid player on the team come his next contract.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
well yeah, that's exactly my concern... that they might run him out of town with a low-ball offer

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I obviously didn't look into all that... you're the head honcho with regards to that. I don't know man... with how this team handles the cap, I can't see them offering a ton more than that... maybe 8.5? I suppose it all depends what their situation is when the contract is up.

You may be right. I know a lot of people like to look at a comparable when it comes to contracts. I tend to go a different route and look at who the agent is, what's his history in tough negotiations (like McAvoy's) and what his success rate is.

Reactions: TwineTickler

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

My guess is negotiating starts with the Chabot contract (8x8) and goes up from there. I think they're going to have to realistically expect McAvoy and Pastrnak will need $20m combined on their next deals.

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
He's going to get a big contract barring any unforeseen circumstances and he'll deserve every penny if he keeps playing like this. There are very few defensemen in the league I'd take over Charlie at this point. Can't believe they snagged him with a mid-first round pick. Imagine if they had passed on him - we'd never hear the end of it. We're very lucky to have him, he is a special player.

Reactions: Dellstrom

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
He's going to get a big contract barring any unforeseen circumstances and he'll deserve every penny if he keeps playing like this. There are very few defensemen in the league I'd take over Charlie at this point. Can't believe they snagged him with a mid-first round pick. Imagine if they had passed on him - we'd never hear the end of it. We're very lucky to have him, he is a special player.
pretty sure I saw people on here as late as 2 years into his career complaining that they didn't take Chychrun :laugh:

Reactions: kjpm

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
This is a great read from the New York Times no less.Pierre McGuire takes heat here but I have saw him on podcats etc speak highly of Bruins in past and he sure says good things here about Charlie.With Charlie McAvoy, the Bruins Filled a Void From Within

Pierre has a serious man-crush on Adam Fox as we all know, but he has always been a huge McAvoy fan as well. Maybe not the over the top syrupy will you marry kind of love for Charlie that he has for Fox, but it has been healthy.

He also has a lot of time and love for Gryz and Carlo.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The main limiting factor with McAvoy, both in terms of his long-term worth as a player and his likely contractual value, is his offense. He really hasn't kicked on in that regard as much as might have been hoped, and while I'm sure his attacking play still has room for improvement, I think it's increasingly likely that it's never going to be a strong suit of his game. A lot of the really well paid defenders in the league these days are guys with serious offensive chops, and Chucky's just not in that category. He's not quite an absolute A++ grade pure defender either.

He's going to be a great long-term first pair player, hopefully with the Bruins for many years, but his cost shouldn't become astronomical and he's not going to quite be that guy like a Victor Hedman who can just about single-handedly carry an entire defense on their backs. He's a leader, but one who'll need some solid support, particularly someone else in the top 4 who can be that primary offensive blueliner in the Krug mould.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
The main limiting factor with McAvoy, both in terms of his long-term worth as a player and his likely contractual value, is his offense. He really hasn't kicked on in that regard as much as might have been hoped, and while I'm sure his attacking play still has room for improvement, I think it's increasingly likely that it's never going to be a strong suit of his game. A lot of the really well paid defenders in the league these days are guys with serious offensive chops, and Chucky's just not in that category. He's not quite an absolute A++ grade pure defender either.

He's going to be a great long-term first pair player, hopefully with the Bruins for many years, but his cost shouldn't become astronomical and he's not going to quite be that guy like a Victor Hedman who can just about single-handedly carry an entire defense on their backs. He's a leader, but one who'll need some solid support, particularly someone else in the top 4 who can be that primary offensive blueliner in the Krug mould.
You do realise McAvoy is tied for 12th in points this season among d men. He is currently producing at a 62 point pace in a 82 game season. He has more points than Krug in 3 less games. Also out of the 11 d men above him only 1 has played less games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad