Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy V signs 3 year $4.9m extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scruffy

Jun 18, 2009
Bawstin
One game was expected anymore would of been too much for a first time offender and no fine just wouldn't have cut it, seeing the outrage that had transpired. My guess on the Bruins defense combos for game one would be:

Chara Carlo
Krug Clifton
Moore Grizz

If moore can't go:
Switch Grizz back to the left side add in Kampfer

I have zero interest in playing kampfer. Can zboril or lauzon play the right side?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
McAvoy , I believe, is a first time offender. No injury occurred. And its the playoffs.

That's why he only got one game. That was a textbook bad hit. No defense for it.

As for Marchand, I think he needs some meds. If he's already on them, he needs better ones.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Asking for a friend - Is it OK to be angry and disappointed that Kukan got nothing for an elbow to the chin of Backes, but be perfectly OK with this suspension, because Charlie DID hit Anderson in the head? Or will that get me in trouble in this thread?

That's perfectly reasonable. But using one to justify the other or to negate the punitive ramifications are where some others have gone off track, imo.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Fine. 1 game. I don't like it, but hopefully we win.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Whatever. I would like a reasoning why Kukan got 2 mins and nothing else (a few days earlier) and McAvoy got suspended.

Pretty big jump.

But whatever, spun the wheel of justice and came up with one game.

Maybe the Bruins will get a call from the league sometime during the playoffs, down quite a few. They all even out, right?

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
And hitting is now illegal in the Wussified nhl. What is the playoff to regular season math they use for games suspended? One playoff game is two or three regular season games? That was suppose to be a hit worth 3 games? League is a clown show run by a pack of pacifists and there brain washed media.

Play Lauzon over Kampfer.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
And this Mcavoy incident is why body checking has slowly disappeared from the league. Mcavoy, or any other player's instinct to throw a body check is compromised. Players are reluctant to throw a body check now. If b"s are in the finals and Mcavoy wants to throw a body check he'll think twice about it because him getting suspended in a finals could cost them a Cup. Not to mention this now has him on a possible repeat offender list if there are other incidents like this.

The end result may have been a bad hit to the head. But when a player is in the process and committed to the hit and then the receiver of the hit suddenly changes his head or body position then how is the checker supposed to stop if he is in mid-hitting position. There needs to be some discretion

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
And hitting is now illegal in the Wussified nhl. What is the playoff to regular season math they use for games suspended? One playoff game is two or three regular season games? That was suppose to be a hit worth 3 games? League is a clown show run by a pack of pacifists and there brain washed media.

Play Lauzon over Kampfer.

And it aint going to change.....ever......

DaveFromNB

Sep 6, 2008
Quispamsis, NB
We saw what can happen with hits to the head with Bergeron and Savard among others. Gotta protect the players heads. I think 1 game is a measured response to a first time offender that a line was crossed.

Wish everyone would stop whining about other plays and non-suspensions. Right is right, and a bad call on some other incident isn't precedent to be wrong on every subsequent call.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Nothing new, we knew Charlie would get 1 game.
We are on the wrong side of the calls.
Now let's concentrate on beating the canes and the refs.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
And this Mcavoy incident is why body checking has slowly disappeared from the league. Mcavoy, or any other player's instinct to throw a body check is compromised. Players are reluctant to throw a body check now. If b"s are in the finals and Mcavoy wants to throw a body check he'll think twice about it because him getting suspended in a finals could cost them a Cup.

The end result may have been a bad hit to the head. But when a player is in the process and committed to the hit and then the receiver of the hit suddenly changes his head or body position then how is the checker supposed to stop if he is in mid-hitting position. There needs to be some discretion
Not sure if you're suggesting that Anderson's head suddenly changed position, because in this case it didn't. i agree it should be a factor, WHEN RELEVANT, but in this case, it's not.

Reactions: LSCII

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Trying to be the optimist, McAvoy missing Game One is likely preferable to a major being called. I assume if he got 5+ game there wouldn't be further discipline.

Then again I'm still mad Scott Walker wasn't suspend 10 years ago for sucker punching Aaron Ward. Beat the Canes this year and all is forgiven. ;)

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Disagree with the suspension, but it is what it is.

In another light that hit was a killer to CLB even with Anderson not missing a shift. They were already frustrated as Rask had shut the door and they had to go into the last intermission with a kid absolutely destroying the biggest baddest player they have. McAvoy is a straight up stud player and going for that hit at that moment was seismic.

We saw what can happen with hits to the head with Bergeron and Savard among others. Gotta protect the players heads. I think 1 game is a measured response to a first time offender that a line was crossed.

Wish everyone would stop whining about other plays and non-suspensions. Right is right, and a bad call on some other incident isn't precedent to be wrong on every subsequent call.
Dave you just compared it to plays made on Bergeron and Savard - can’t turn around and wish people would stop “whining about other plays”. . . I mean obviously you can but ...

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
And this Mcavoy incident is why body checking has slowly disappeared from the league. Mcavoy, or any other player's instinct to throw a body check is compromised. Players are reluctant to throw a body check now. If b"s are in the finals and Mcavoy wants to throw a body check he'll think twice about it because him getting suspended in a finals could cost them a Cup. Not to mention this now has him on a possible repeat offender list if there are other incidents like this.

After watching this series, you think body checking is disappearing? I didn't notice any reluctance on anyone's part to throw checks.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Trying to be the optimist, McAvoy missing Game One is likely preferable to a major being called. I assume if he got 5+ game there wouldn't be further discipline.

Then again I'm still mad Scott Walker wasn't suspend 10 years ago for sucker punching Aaron Ward. Beat the Canes this year and all is forgiven. ;)
I've been a fan for 50+ years.
We're mostly on the wrong side of the calls.
It won't change anytime soon.
We are the bad boys of hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad