Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy IV

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Excellent game by him last night.

During the pregame they showed a graphic that indicated he had gone 10 games without a point. I was really surprised by that.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
He has been noticeably less physical since the suspension, which is understandable, but that part of his game seems to be picking up again, and his overall game seems to be improving as a result.

He is such an excellent player and team management did a great job signing him to this contract.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The only problem I have with Charlie is his seeming inability to play the point on the power play. He just seems clueless out there.

Yeah, after the past few seasons I think it is clear that it isn't his strong suit and probably never will be. I mean, maybe it clicks for him (he's still pretty young) but it might be time for the Bruins to go in another direction there. The issue is, who steps into that role? Shattenkirk is probably the best they have in that role but he not a long-term answer (and he sits a lot anyway). That might be an area that Sweeney has to address in the Summer.

Reactions: BMC

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Yeah, after the past few seasons I think it is clear that it isn't his strong suit and probably never will be. I mean, maybe it clicks for him (he's still pretty young) but it might be time for the Bruins to go in another direction there. The issue is, who steps into that role? Shattenkirk is probably the best they have in that role but he not a long-term answer (and he sits a lot anyway). That might be an area that Sweeney has to address in the Summer.
Lohrei is the long term solution, but McAvoy has a good accurate shot he just never f***ing uses it. hes always passing off to pasta.

Reactions: zaYG and Dr Hook

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
It's been a weird season for him, very up and down. We need him playing like the #1 stud we know he is from here on out.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The only problem I have with Charlie is his seeming inability to play the point on the power play. He just seems clueless out there.
Remember the start of last year when Charlie was out and Lindholm was absolutely killing it running the PP?

I cannot comprehend why Monty is dead set on using Charlie there and not letting Hampus play point. Considering he's only giving Lindholm D-zone starts with Carlo, his offense has cratered.

I'd use Lindholm there and save McAvoy for 5-on-5 minutes where he's a beast.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
It's been a weird season for him, very up and down. We need him playing like the #1 stud we know he is from here on out.
I think they really need to run the Lindholm-McAvoy pairing more often then they do to get the best out of both guys. The numbers those two put up when they're together are always insanely good, like best pairing in the league territory.

Reactions: PB37

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I think they really need to run the Lindholm-McAvoy pairing more often then they do to get the best out of both guys. The numbers those two put up when they're together are always insanely good, like best pairing in the league territory.

Julien formed a super pairing in the playoffs with Seids and Chara and it worked. I'm all for Lindholm - McAvoy

Reactions: zaYG and Ladyfan

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Julien formed a super pairing in the playoffs with Seids and Chara and it worked. I'm all for Lindholm - McAvoy
Two great STAY AT HOME and GET the hell OUT of my crease defender! Loved them. Tough as nail.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Lindholm is too soft to compare to either of Chara or Seids'.

We're not comparing player to player, we're talking how the Bruins put their two best dmen on one pairing in the past and that it worked for them. Lindhlm/McAvoy has worked for the Bruins before but I'd like to see them form up full time in the playoffs. The question then becomes who plays on the 2nd pairing.

Reactions: Ladyfan

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
We're not comparing player to player, we're talking how the Bruins put their two best dmen on one pairing in the past and that it worked for them. Lindhlm/McAvoy has worked for the Bruins before but I'd like to see them form up full time in the playoffs. The question then becomes who plays on the 2nd pairing.
this is what irks me about montgomery - why havent we seen what the pairings look like with lindholm/mcavoy more? we switch everything every game but dont know how gryz looks next to peeke or how that pairing looks with a lohrei/carlo pairing ahead of it or behind it. or if shattenkirk on his offside (which hasnt looked bad) can play with carlo effectively.

now im sure someone will come to the rescue immediately and tell me the corsi or whatever is bad for all that, i just want more data if we're gonna be the squad that shakes up the lineup every night.

Reactions: PB37

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Doesn't matter, performance wise it is a bad analogy, clear and simple. No offense, this is what forum are for, not everybody agrees with anybody.
If anything Lindholm's paid too much to be a stay at home defenseman, so that Mac can do what he does best, rush into the offensive zone or go deeper. Charlie is not a shoot from the point type of scoring D-man.

Honestly, where seeing, this year why, the Duck didn't mind trading him for futures. He isn't giving an 8mil/year performance and based on his career, last year was an aberration.

Yes, I'm down on Hampus, but not without good reason, soft, can't clear pucks to save his life, doesn't intimidate anyone, which at 6'3" 220, he should be able too. See how Mac gets under players skins and they go hunting for him. Hampus just gets popped, cause everyone knows he won't do anything about it.

Reactions: BBruins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad