Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy IV

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Not to drag the mood down, but that might've been the worst game for a #1 defenseman in a game seven I've ever seen. Clearly got rattled by the moment.

But they survived, largely because Lohrei and Hampus picked up the slack. hopefully the experience shocks whatever it is out of his system and he can play with confidence going forward. But he scared the shit out of me every time he had the puck.

Reactions: Bodit9

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
It's true, he has not played well recently. He's a combo of trying to do to much, not realizing he has more time, and throw in being targeted, physically. This was done to every great Dman in the playoffs, make them turn and retrieve, only to get pounded over and over. But it's not like he doesn't instigate a lot of animosity toward himself. He is playing very physical himself.
Personally, I'd remove the PP duties. Lohrie has much better O instincts.
For the money he is being paid, he needs to be good, better, best.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Hockey people who know better than me, or you, still say Charlie is a franchise defender.

To my mind, not at 9 million.

Not with sometimes spotty play. Not as a power play cornerstone/point man. Not as a consistent physical presence. None of those qualities have proven out as yet.

I like Charlie, and again, I understand that he's 26, but perhaps his value going forward is limited.

Reactions: Mad-Marcus

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs were paying extra attention to McAvoy and good for Mason Lohrei using that extra time to make plays

Their wing was a step or two higher/closer to him but it also left Lohrei open

Monty should keep them together as Lohrei plays like this he will shed the opponent

Regular season it’s yah whatever - but playoffs it’s executed well

Lohrei - McAvoy could be a force

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Mac's problem is when he tries to do too much. He's great player that sometimes gets caught up in getting under and letting others get under his skin. He also is not the answer on the PP point. Not his best skill set, finding lanes to get a shot through. Great at rushing in transition and cutting to the net, but not great at getting point shots on net, if and when he even decides to shoot.
That being said, he is a 25-30min/G guy that is fearless(often to his own detriment), he plays like he's 6'4" 220 and he's solid but not an enforcer type.
Our best D man but not in the NHL top 5. Top 10, yes, top 5 no.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
We're crapping on Charlie after the core 4 did almost nothing for a series? Yikes.

The B's D was smothering. And he was a big part of that.
So smothering that Swayman had a incredible number of high danger shots, and is the top reason why they moved on. The team collectively failed to clear pucks and exit the d zone easily. They were out shot in a majority of the series.
Toronto found once they stopped trying to outrun the B's that the dump and chase game(that we'll see against FLA) was the strategy to beat the B's.
Thank god for Swayman.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Hockey people who know better than me, or you, still say Charlie is a franchise defender.

To my mind, not at 9 million.

Not with sometimes spotty play. Not as a power play cornerstone/point man. Not as a consistent physical presence. None of those qualities have proven out as yet.

I like Charlie, and again, I understand that he's 26, but perhaps his value going forward is limited.
The difference between a real franchise defenseman like Chara, Pronger, etc. and a good defenseman like McAvoy is night and day.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
We're crapping on Charlie after the core 4 did almost nothing for a series? Yikes.

The B's D was smothering. And he was a big part of that.
the entire game the hockey experts in back of us were calling Pastrnak a f’n p***y and a Lindholm garbage and McAvoy useless but at the end they were calling them the men and high fiving everyone

my buddy said he’s never heard so many F bombs at a game - I usually bring the soft ear plugs you can get at cvs and thankfully I had and flipped in - you can still here good but cuts down about 25% and they never really bothered me

@Ladyfan would have been brawling with them

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
He’s playing 30 mins per night against top lines. It’s a tough ask. That isn’t a bad team all the losers on here seem to act like everyone we play sucks and should lose to us 5-0 every game. Some of our ‘fans’ are beyond nauseating.

Bad series with the puck and was thinking too much every time we had it but he’s exactly what we need vs Florida.

Lindholm was the one having a rough series both ways until he made 2 unreal plays late in game 7 and won us the series.

Reactions: NDiesel

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
the entire game the hockey experts in back of us were calling Pastrnak a f’n p***y and a Lindholm garbage and McAvoy useless but at the end they were calling them the men and high fiving everyone

my buddy said he’s never heard so many F bombs at a game - I usually bring the soft ear plugs you can get at cvs and thankfully I had and flipped in - you can still here good but cuts down about 25% and they never really bothered me

@Ladyfan would have been brawling with them
I wanted to slap the guys in front of us. Banging on the glass all night...drunk and stupid

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I wanted to slap the guys in front of us. Banging on the glass all night...drunk and stupid
Our guys in back weren’t drunk or even stupid - they were emotional- one might have even had a Pastrnak jersey but still calling him a f’n p***y:laugh:
Charlie should not be running a PP. I also want to see him to step up into his salary- go from very good to great. He's very good right now.
yeh agree

Lohrei should but probably not till next season starts taking more minutes

Say what you want about a few mistakes he had. However almost 27 minutes a game playing in all situations as the top defender on a team that just shut down toronto.

You average that much time and you are going to make mistakes.
Bang on

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Charlie should not be running a PP. I also want to see him to step up into his salary- go from very good to great. He's very good right now.
Why not? He’s got the stick handling and skills to buy himself extra time. Makes a good first pass. He’s missing the lethal Bourque final shot but Rays one of the 10 best players of all time.

I still wouldn’t rule out the stars aligning one year for McAvoy to win a Norris.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Our guys in back weren’t drunk or even stupid - they were emotional- one might have even had a Pastrnak jersey but still calling him a f’n p***y:laugh:

yeh agree

Lohrei should but probably not till next season starts taking more minutes

Bang on
I am reading through the main GDT from last night. Some Leaf fan names Strangle had MANY posts about how much Pasta sucks. Those posts didn't age well :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Why not? He’s got the stick handling and skills to buy himself extra time. Makes a good first pass. He’s missing the lethal Bourque final shot but Rays one of the 10 best players of all time.

I still wouldn’t rule out the stars aligning one year for McAvoy to win a Norris.

I just don't think he's done a great job with it to this point, tools notwithstanding. I think he can still grow into it, but hasn't yet, and the clock is ticking.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Not to drag the mood down, but that might've been the worst game for a #1 defenseman in a game seven I've ever seen. Clearly got rattled by the moment.

But they survived, largely because Lohrei and Hampus picked up the slack. hopefully the experience shocks whatever it is out of his system and he can play with confidence going forward. But he scared the shit out of me every time he had the puck.
Am I overstating this but it seem to me that Lindholm after he scored looked like a different more confident player.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I just don't think he's done a great job with it to this point, tools notwithstanding. I think he can still grow into it, but hasn't yet, and the clock is ticking.
So who has? Pasternak hasn’t scored on the man up in months the PP was totally snakebit to end the regular season yet was 33% or something for the series? Nothing to do with McAvoy? Surely someone somewhere improved wasn’t him with a couple assists?

Maybe we should trade him for Torrey Krug?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So who has? Pasternak hasn’t scored on the man up in months the PP was totally snakebit to end the regular season yet was 33% or something for the series? Nothing to do with McAvoy? Surely someone somewhere improved wasn’t him with a couple assists?

Maybe we should trade him for Torrey Krug?

You were doing well till that stupid last sentence. Krug? Really? It's my opinion that Charlie is not a great PP QB. He runs it from the point. Pasta does not. You think he's doing well at it? That's fine, we see it differently.

Reactions: Bodit9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad