Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy IV

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Is what it is. You do the crime, you do the time.

That said, there's something hypocritical in the idea that the NHL is just trying to "protect the players" with these fines/suspensions during the regular season but in the playoffs they throw the rulebook out the window and predatory physical play is rewarded with longer playoff runs and more gate revenue.
They're trying to keep it as old school as they can.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Forester65

Jan 31, 2019
Humans are always capable of being malicious, especially in a violent fast paced sport like hockey where bad blood can run deep

I don’t think k McAvoy is out there trying to hurt people, but if you’re cruising along and a player on a team that ended your season is floating towards you, in that split second your reaction might not be to take it easy

4 games is appropriate. 2 if he had no history but he does so that’s the way it goes
I don’t think k McAvoy is out there trying to hurt people, but if you’re cruising along and a player on a team that ended your season is floating towards you, in that split second your reaction might not be to take it easy
You no doubt know this but OEL must have felt victimized this morning. He had nothing to do with our loss to Florida last spring. He was busy golfing in Vancouver at the time. LOL.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Yeah the term is kind of what ever to me. We knew he was sitting out.

Wires cross in game. Mistakes are made. That’s hockey. Learn from it and move on kid
Exactly 73 is not a dirty player .He certainly made a bad choice and deservers a suspension. Any Poster that has played the game for long enough or competitive enough has made a wrong choice they are not proud of (During game action). I will take a player that plays with a physical edge every day over a player that tries to avoid contact.( at the expense of making the best play for the team)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mione134 and lopey

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
If this is the new standard about ALL players' safety . . .going forward, so be it. I'm on board.

What happens when someone is seriously injured? Will we start to see double-digit suspensions?
Color me skeptical at best.

5-minute major, game misconduct, AND 4 more games?
When a player did not miss a shift?
He didn't play the remainder of the game and hasn't been practicing.

Forester65

Jan 31, 2019
If this is the new standard about ALL players' safety . . .going forward, so be it. I'm on board.

What happens when someone is seriously injured? Will we start to see double-digit suspensions?

There will never be anything close to a standard for assessing player safety. Seems like they draw their disciplinary rulings from a hat.

Reactions: BMC

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
You no doubt know this but OEL must have felt victimized this morning. He had nothing to do with our loss to Florida last spring. He was busy golfing in Vancouver at the time. LOL.
No, but he did trip Pasta earlier in the game in a pretty dangerous way. It seems a much easier connection to make between OEL and that trip, than between OEL and this past spring.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Its not new.

Reactions: JCRO

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

That said, there's something hypocritical in the idea that the NHL is just trying to "protect the players" with these fines/suspensions during the regular season but in the playoffs they throw the rulebook out the window and predatory physical play is rewarded with longer playoff runs and more gate revenue.
I think it’s a reach to say that the McAvoy hit would have gotten a lighter suspension if it was a playoff game. That hit is indefensible whether it’s the playoffs or not. We’ve seen players get the book thrown at them in the post season as well. Kadri, for example

Reactions: pearljamvs5

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I think it’s a reach to say that the McAvoy hit would have gotten a lighter suspension if it was a playoff game. That hit is indefensible whether it’s the playoffs or not. We’ve seen players get the book thrown at them in the post season as well. Kadri, for example
That’s not what I was trying to say. The NHL allows the playoffs to be far more violent than the regular season. They don’t call a lot of the charging, boarding, hits from behind, cross checks, etc. that are penalties in November, which leads to more injuries and players playing hurt. So my point was I don’t really buy that the league ‘cares about the players’ because if they did, they’d protect them all the time.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
That’s not what I was trying to say. The NHL allows the playoffs to be far more violent than the regular season. They don’t call a lot of the charging, boarding, hits from behind, cross checks, etc. that are penalties in November, which leads to more injuries and players playing hurt. So my point was I don’t really buy that the league ‘cares about the players’ because if they did, they’d protect them all the time.

Orlov ended Kevan Miller's career with a late, high hit in the playoffs.No suspension.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

Sweater is a sweater

But I missed the pasta trip so that definitely could have contributed if Charlie saw who he was cruising toward and took a number before

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Someone here did make the good point OEL took out Pastrnak's legs from behind earlier. It may have been an attempted message sent, delivered poorly by McAvoy.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
This is a really good and true point.

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
Charlie is a truck that is capable of running people over. A huge open ice hit I can support more than a head shot. He's better than that and isn't his first time. Needs to be out of the game and I'm fine with 4 games. If he wanted to send a message then run him over or grab him and start pummeling him. To me that's a proper way for message sending, head shots are cowardly.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Charlie is a truck that is capable of running people over. A huge open ice hit I can support more than a head shot. He's better than that and isn't his first time. Needs to be out of the game and I'm fine with 4 games. If he wanted to send a message then run him over or grab him and start pummeling him. To me that's a proper way for message sending, head shots are cowardly.
?????

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'm still pissed at Ovi's high hit on Carlo that resulted in a concussion. No call.

Yep, that one still grinds me too when I think about it. I don't care who it is and what team, there is no need or justification for head shots. I do hope the league will keep cracking down hard on dirty plays and keep the standard through the playoffs

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Correct me if I'm wrong but facing someone and punching them gives them a chance to protect themselves or turtle. Head shots end careers. Big difference to me.

If you mean facing someone and dropping the gloves, fine.

But what you said was, "grab him and start pummeling him". Sounds more cowardly to me.

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
If you mean facing someone and dropping the gloves, fine.

But what you said was, "grab him and start pummeling him". Sounds more cowardly to me.
I guess I could have revised it to say grab him and fight him whether he wants to or not and give him the chance to fight back or turtle. This is if Charlie had a beef to settle. No head shots.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site

Might be but pretty irrelevant to this.

At the end of the day its why a record setting regular season team get its doors blown on if the playoffs.

Two totally different leagues betwwens regular season and playoffs.

Been that like that way to long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad