Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy IV

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Yeah I can't see any defense of the hit. A dman coming from the point to throw a headshot in front of the opposing net is always going to get a punishment.

Interesting to see how this team holds up over this 4 game stretch

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Surprised considering it was closer to the Clifton suspension than the post game hit by the Calgary player (2 vs 4 game suspensions).

McAvoy forgot to think on this one. Bruins will be fine.

Pretty sure the Laine incident he had the puck and there was time on the clock.
I was taught in Freshman football you play to the whistle and that should be the mantra for every player in a collision sport.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
McAvoy is not a malicious person, he is a level headed young man. To me this is a case of being guilty before being innocent.
Those who feel differently, do you really think Charlie is capable of being that malicious?.
I don't!.
JMO.
I don't think Mac meant to injure him BUT you cannot make those hits.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I don't think it was worse than a minor penalty but the dude put his head in the way at the last second.

This sucks because I was telling other Bruins fans at the game in Anaheim that this was McAvoy's Norris season.

Obviously he should have avoided the incidental contact looking back.

I must have missed the chopping block OEL was being fitted for on the ice.

Your post needs a sarcasm tag because if it isn't sarcasm its a terrible take on the play.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I must have missed the chopping block OEL was being fitted for on the ice.

Your post needs a sarcasm tag because if it isn't sarcasm its a terrible take on the play.
I think he was assuming there would be incidental front of net contact and just didn’t pull up when OEL stayed in a vulnerable position the entire time. It’s his fault and a bad play regardless.

Someone also just died because a career dirty minor leaguer decided to swing his skate at another player while going down.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Don't tell the NFL that. Hell you my as well give the QB's Flags

I played a long time ago when players in general weren't so protected. Go pull up video of 1950's NFL games and you won't believe the late hits and pig piling on players with the football, like hard to believe stuff. So I guess what I was taught in the late 60's
may have been a leftover from a more chaotic era of football. Glad that stuff was taken out of football and hits like #73 need to be also out of hockey.

#73, wether we like it or not puts guys like Poitras and Pastrnak at greater risk.

Reactions: sarge88 and TCB

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I played a long time ago when players in general weren't so protected. Go pull up video of 1950's NFL games and you won't believe the late hits and pig piling on players with the football, like hard to believe stuff. So I guess what I was taught in the late 60's
may have been a leftover from a more chaotic era of football. Glad that stuff was taken out of football and hits like #73 need to be also out of hockey.

#73, wether we like it or not puts guys like Poitras and Pastrnak at greater risk.
Wait - are we supposed to learn from your experiences as a high school football player prior to World War 2 and laud those qualities, like playing to the whistle, in today's NHLers or will old school diligence like that cause players like Charlie McAvoy to become overflowing with negative karma that might flow over and put a hex on Bruins whose last names begin with the letter P?

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Wait - are we supposed to learn from your experiences as a high school football player prior to World War 2 and laud those qualities, like playing to the whistle, in today's NHLers or will old school diligence like that cause players like Charlie McAvoy to become overflowing with negative karma that might flow over and put a hex on Bruins whose last names begin with the letter P?

Play to the whistle is a maxim that still applies today. Can't help you if that goes over your head in 2023.

Reactions: PaulD

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
who is "we" ..... you playing pro sports?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I agree he screwed up , he is suppose to be part of the new leadership on this team not a smart play and to make it worse Gryz was already out with a injury . I will say one thing OEL looked like a bit of drama queen out there.......
Drama Queen for sure.
But Mac got caught. Ha has to pick his spots when delivering payback.
OEL asked for trouble when he dumped Pasta.
Should have been 2 games

Last edited:

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
McAvoy is not a malicious person, he is a level headed young man. To me this is a case of being guilty before being innocent.
Those who feel differently, do you really think Charlie is capable of being that malicious?.
I don't!.
JMO.

Humans are always capable of being malicious, especially in a violent fast paced sport like hockey where bad blood can run deep

I don’t think k McAvoy is out there trying to hurt people, but if you’re cruising along and a player on a team that ended your season is floating towards you, in that split second your reaction might not be to take it easy

4 games is appropriate. 2 if he had no history but he does so that’s the way it goes

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
It was an unnecessary and dangerous hit and was dealt with in an appropriate manor. It was only more so than Mikkola's near miss knee on knee attempt on Hampus at center ice earlier that Lindy avoided but sent his stick flying because McAvoy's connected. One game for Mikkola for attempt to injure?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It was an unnecessary and dangerous hit and was dealt with in an appropriate manor. It was only more so than Mikkola's near miss knee on knee attempt on Hampus at center ice earlier that Lindy avoided but sent his stick flying because McAvoy's connected. One game for Mikkola for attempt to injure?

Don't take Jack at his word.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Braindead hit and the suspension is well deserved. Imagine if anyone did that on Bergy any time in the past 10 years.

He’s a top 3 - 5 defenseman in the league but I think he can struggle keeping a cool head. He needs to be physical and mean as he always is, but blindsiding someone in the head while you’re (a dman) deep in the offensive zone is not the “mean” I want to see.

Won’t do any favors if he wants to win the Norris and its a bad look from a leadership perspective. Team is going to be understaffed on D and missing their best player in a tough stretch of games. Lucky the match penalty while already being down Gryz didn’t lose us the game.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Braindead hit and the suspension is well deserved. Imagine if anyone did that on Bergy any time in the past 10 years.

He’s a top 3 - 5 defenseman in the league but I think he can struggle keeping a cool head. He needs to be physical and mean as he always is, but blindsiding someone in the head while you’re (a dman) deep in the offensive zone is not the “mean” I want to see.

Won’t do any favors if he wants to win the Norris and its a bad look from a leadership perspective. Team is going to be understaffed on D and missing their best player in a tough stretch of games. Lucky the match penalty while already being down Gryz didn’t lose us the game.

I don't mind him going for that hit in the postseason ( sans head contact ) but in the regular season, that's going to be interference/roughing all game long. I don't think he went in thinking he wanted to roll that guy's head off his shoulders. He took a bad route which put OEL's head in position to take the full brunt.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
McAvoy looked like he was trying to make a statement all game. The previous hit on Verhaeghe showed that he was trying to lay someone out. My guess is to right the wrongs from back in April. I listened to the game on the way home from a work event and I was in awe of the crowd noise. Really seemed to have a playoff feel.

Loved his edge. That said, you play on the edge and it's easy to cross the line. That hit absolutely crossed the line and was suspension worthy.

Still, I want someone on the team to play with an edge. I want a little chippy-ness.

Begs the question though? Does this mark the Marchand era of the Bruins? Where, lead by their captain, the message is to send a message through physical play and mucking it up? My guess is that both teams have 11/22 circled in their calendars now.

Reactions: missingchicklet

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Is what it is. You do the crime, you do the time.

That said, there's something hypocritical in the idea that the NHL is just trying to "protect the players" with these fines/suspensions during the regular season but in the playoffs they throw the rulebook out the window and predatory physical play is rewarded with longer playoff runs and more gate revenue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad