Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Could be anything even something like a hairline fracture that they don't want ANYONE to know about which he'd be playing through if it was April. Come to think of it this could be what he was dealing with in the playoffs and they don't want it to linger even if it doesn't require surgery and they simple are opting for rest.

I'm just hoping he comes back while its still 2018 and has most of the season to get up to speed for the playoffs.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I wonder whether he is suffering from the vertigo that Chicago's Corey Crawford experienced about one year ago.
My wife has suffered with Vertigo for years,was severe at times ,much better now but very concerning if that’s what he is suffering with.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
The Bruins seem to be doing the right thing here. I don't care if McAvoy needs to sit out the year to be fully healed. If that what it takes. Sit him.

It's strange that I feel almost relieved that it's been declared a concussion. Knowing what it is feels better than the total darkness we were in yesterday, with speculation that it could be vertigo. This isn't to say it's still not a big deal though. There is no reason we should rush Charlie back. Even if he's skating, I would consider leaving him out of the lineup until after Thanksgiving at least. Want him back to 100%, and don't want him in the lineup until that point, regardless of much we need him in.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I don't get all the secrecy around concussions. Like I get if a guy is nursing a hand injury or something I get that you want to be publicly vague about it to avoid opposing players targeting the injury, but if a guy is out with a concussion, why not just say he's got a concussion?

The cynic in me says it's a league/ownership mandate to stay away from using the "c word" to minimize public perception that concussions are common.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I don't get all the secrecy around concussions. Like I get if a guy is nursing a hand injury or something I get that you want to be publicly vague about it to avoid opposing players targeting the injury, but if a guy is out with a concussion, why not just say he's got a concussion?

The cynic in me says it's a league/ownership mandate to stay away from using the "c word" to minimize public perception that concussions are common.

I have no doubt that Bettman has issued an internal memo to clubs concerning this.

The person who told me that Charley's issue was not concussion-related last night was a team employee and he was surprised by the announcement today.

The only time I have ever seen Bettman lose his cool on the air was at the ASG in Nashville when he was confronted by Canada's version of 60 Minutes which had obtained damaging info and Bettman was blindsided.

The NFL and NHL both have dark clouds about liability over their heads and down the road either league losing a case on brain injuries could destroy both games. If a huge award is mandated by the courts the immediate impact will see liability insurance premiums skyrocket @BMC can shed some light on this. The problem is many schools and colleges won't be able to pay the premiums and walk away from the sport and that stops the pipeline of new talent.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The only time I have ever seen Bettman lose his cool on the air was at the ASG in Nashville when he was confronted by Canada's version of 60 Minutes which had obtained damaging info and Bettman was blindsided.

I watched that, and he was disgraceful in his response. Then came the 5 D's of CTE Ball: Dodge, Dip, Duck, Dive and Dodge.

Reactions: sarge88

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I have no doubt that Bettman has issued an internal memo to clubs concerning this.

The person who told me that Charley's issue was not concussion-related last night was a team employee and he was surprised by the announcement today.

The NFL and NHL both have dark clouds about liability over their heads and down the road either league losing a case on brain injuries could destroy both games. If a huge award is mandated by the courts the immediate impact will see liability insurance premiums skyrocket @BMC can shed some light on this. The problem is many schools and colleges won't be able to pay the premiums and walk away from the sport and that stops the pipeline of new talent.

That is exactly what will happen to the youth leagues & Canadian junior teams as well as the high schools & colleges.

I think we'll see an out of court settlement in both the NHL & NFL cases- nobody wants to see either game destroyed (at least, I hope nobody does).

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Is there a video of when he got it? I watched a lot of that game and I don't remember anything happening or being brought up.

I'm not sure. But I do remember at the end of either the 1st or 2nd period,McAvoy was trying to kill the play behind his net while time was expiring and Lucic finished his check on him, which I think had caught Charlie by surprise, but not sure if that was what lead to it or not but that would be my guess..

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

I think the NFL will always be able to survive the brain injury question because there is just soooo much money in that sport all the way down to even the highschool level. They'll always be able to use their financial leverage to suppress scrutiny. The NHL on the other hand, while still a big money industry, is less of an American institution and is much easier for parents to simply walk away from if the sport's reputation gets tarnished. With the cost of equipment hockey already has a pretty high barrier for entry so I can see the sport (at the peewee/bantam/junior level) suffering a lot more easily due to PR problems than the NFL.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Is there a video of when he got it? I watched a lot of that game and I don't remember anything happening or being brought up.

The rumor was that he hadn’t been feeling well since China and tried to play through it, not telling the team. I know it was reported that he had stomach issues after they came back. Maybe those were post concussion symptoms and not because of the food or water?

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The rumor was that he hadn’t been feeling well since China and tried to play through it, not telling the team. I know it was reported that he had stomach issues after they came back. Maybe those were post concussion symptoms and not because of the food or water?

That an interesting theory. Concussions sure are weird. I hope they wait until he is 100% and then wait another week or two to be sure.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
They had some fancy medical name for it but inner ear/dizziness

Backes apparently 3 times already took hits in about a month that sent him the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad