Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Screw the bridge deal.

Give him Bergy money: 55M/8y

They bridge, it will then cost them Doughty money.

The cap is up over 30% since Bergy signed that deal. In today's dollars, that's more like $9M. It would probably take at least that to get him to sign an 8 year deal today.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Screw the bridge deal.

Give him Bergy money: 55M/8y

They bridge, it will then cost them Doughty money.

As Emerz pointed out already, the B’s supposedly already offered McAvoy a long term deal and he turned it down. It takes two to tango and if he wants the bridge deal, the B’s may have to go that route, even if they would prefer a longer deal.

The bridge deal would probably be something higher than what Trouba got, maybe closer to Kucherov?

Two/three years, $4-5m?

Reactions: Son of Donegal

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Bridge deals don't make long term financial sense for the team or player. They only help in the near term. I guess, it might if he expects the long term deal to be $10m but the less you earn in the bridge, the less the long term deal has value.

Take Rask. He took a $3.5m deal for 1 year because the Bruins maxed out the cap. They then gave him an 8 year deal at $7m. So his average salary over 9 years is $6.6m.
Subban took $2.785 for 2 years as a forced bridge by Montreal before then getting his $9m for 8 years. His average salary over those 10 years is $7.75m.

Subban is costing an extra $1.25m/yr for 8 years because the Montreal GM refused the more cap friendly deal.

If McAvoy gets $4m for 2 years and then $10m for 8, that would average $8.8 over 10 years but an extra $1.2m/y on the cap those last 8 years. That's a good 4th liner's salary (like Kuraly) wasted for what? I guess I just don't see what the benefit is unless the team doesn't think he is worth the $8.8m. And maybe the player wants to be in the 'top 10 paid players' list?

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
what's the opinion on that hit?

if he's out game 1, maybe cassidy can suit up.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I just wanted to say that as much as everyone rightfully hated Josh Anderson for all the big runs and hits that he made on the Bruins you have to give the guy ton of credit because in the line up there he was half smiling with McAvoy and saying "you got me good". It only makes sense to hate a guy like that in the series but we would all love him on the Bruins.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
what's the opinion on that hit?

if he's out game 1, maybe cassidy can suit up.
It will be a travesty if he's suspended. Clearly not targeting the head and intending to injure. Arm was tucked in at the point of contact. No history. Both players smiling and on good terms in the line. Anderson came back and played. That hit was not even close to as dirty as the extended elbow into Backes' head earlier in the series, and nothing was done by DoPS about that play. I want McAvoy attempting to make that kind of hit, minus the outcome of riding up into the head, ten out of ten times. That hit had an impact on the game. The Jackets were not even close to as physical as they had been after the hit. McAvoy is a big time player who made a big time play.

dtam83

Jun 8, 2011
Boston
It will be a travesty if he's suspended. Clearly not targeting the head and intending to injure. Arm was tucked in at the point of contact. No history. Both players smiling and on good terms in the line. Anderson came back and played. That hit was not even close to as dirty as the extended elbow into Backes' head earlier in the series, and nothing was done by DoPS about that play. I want McAvoy attempting to make that kind of hit, minus the outcome of riding up into the head, ten out of ten times. That hit had an impact on the game. The Jackets were not even close to as physical as they had been after the hit. McAvoy is a big time player who made a big time play.
agreed, I never felt there was any intent to injure, the intent was to separate puck from skater, you see this type of play all the time, unfortunate that charlie made contact with the head. hope he doesn't get anything

Reactions: TCB

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
it was closer to not a penalty at all than a suspendable play
Yeah, I just don't see how DoPS can suspend him for that play based on everything I've seen them rule on this season. If he came in with his elbow out and was going straight at the head then, sure, suspend his ass. Hockey doesn't need that kind of crap. Fact is, though, he was quite clearly trying to make contact with the body with his arm tucked in and his shoulder lowered. Charlie loves to make big hits, but I regard him as a clean player who is not out there to end the careers of other players. If he was indeed trying to target the head in that situation, given how hard he was skating in, Anderson would have left on a stretcher, guaranteed. Refs got it right -- 2 mins for the hit to the head. Not a fan of the refs in general, but I do give them credit when it is due. I give them credit tonight for not reacting to the crowd and the heat of the moment. It would have been easy to overreact and give Charlie more than a 2 minute penalty, but they ended up making the correct decision, I think in part because they know Charlie is not a dirty player, and also in part because Charlie immediately let them know he wasn't trying to hit Anderson in the head.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
From far view it looked vicious but from closer view (through glass) you can see the hit is perfectly lined up with the center of Anderson's body.

Crap, quick picture but zoom it in

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190507-000051_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20190507-000051_YouTube.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 37

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Kukan targeted Backes's head with an elbow and got two minutes, then tied up game 5 at 3-3 two days later. Sadly, I agree that it's easier to suspend someone for game 1 of a 7-game series than what amounted to game 1 in a 3-game series. Can see him getting a game, but obviously his lack of suspension history and the fact that Anderson wasn't injured mitigates it.

Reactions: Shoebottom88

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I just wanted to say that as much as everyone rightfully hated Josh Anderson for all the big runs and hits that he made on the Bruins you have to give the guy ton of credit because in the line up there he was half smiling with McAvoy and saying "you got me good". It only makes sense to hate a guy like that in the series but we would all love him on the Bruins.
I thought he charged Grizz twice on the same shift in the first & I felt no sympathy after the McAvoy hit. I also thought he milked it to try & draw the major & only went down the tunnel because there was 20 seconds left. With that said I don't have any beef with him but I sure wouldn't love his zero goals in this series on the Bruins.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I think he gets a game. I think if he'd been ejected they would have just gone with that but they're gonna want him to miss something.

Who's next...ugh Kampfer? Is Moore still injured? Moore sucks too but he's better than Kampfer.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Charlie was the best Bruins in this series besides Rask. It would be a huge blow if he gets a game. He hit him with his shoulder with his elbow tucked.

Great hit on a pos that had it coming for all the charging around he got away with. Columbus is the perfect fake tough team like their coach.

Tampa getting swept by them has to be the biggest choke job in NHL history

Reactions: DKH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He's gonna get a game.
I’d be stunned if so

Shocked
Chagrined
Mortified
Stupefied

Talked or texted with a handful of my hockey loving/playing/coaching/refereeing buds not one thinks he gets any games

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I don't think there was intent to target the head and I think Anderson lowering his head caused the impact to the jaw, but if the "principal point of contact" is the head, don't they have to give him something? If the league intends to condition players to back off these kinds of hits, you have to punish these. And let's be honest, if Anderson didn't return we'd be very afraid of a suspension here. If we all agree that judging actions by results (blood for high stick, for example) is f*&^ing stupid, then this should be too.

I say he gets a game here and I think that's probably fair. Tack on that the Canadian media is predictably crying about this since it's Boston, and I think pressure mounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad