Value of: Charlie Coyle to Buffalo

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Why would Buffalo send their 1st round pick to Minnesota at all? Or Reinhart for that matter?
The question in the OP was what the price of Charlie Coyle to the Sabres would be. If you take away the pieces that are obviously off the table from Buffalo and the pieces that don't hold any appeal to the Wild, you're left with two options: Reinhart or Buffalo's 2019 1st*. Obviously Sabres fans aren't comfortable parting with either of those either, which is fine.

The rest of this thread has been bickering for the sake of bickering, but it's July so what are you gonna do?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Did i actually see Reinhart mentioned in this thread? What?
Considering that we have yet to see anyone come up with an offer that Minnesota has any reason to consider that doesn't include Reinhart or Buffalo's 2019 1st, then that's still the answer to the original question as it was asked.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It means the Coyle discussion is so unproductive because they don’t have the available pieces to acquire him.

“37pt 26 year old”

Nice job. Use some context next time.

You know, I wonder what Buffalo would want for their 55-65 point C? I’d trade them our 76 point C and a 2nd. Honestly that’s more than fair for Buffalo.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Zucker, nino, and Coyle are not players capable of making or breaking any team in the league. They are all 2nd line players who provide decent depth scoring aka why teams missing that one elusive "piece" to go with their cornerstone playes ask about them.

That's where the rift begins. No one sabres or any other team is going to give up younger and higher potential players for complimentary wingers. Reinhart can play center and risto has shown as a dman he can score on similar levels as the wingers in this convo. Those 2 as asks are asinine.

All that aside the wild need inclination to trade any of these middling wingers and if they don't see a need for a nylander, guhle, late first type etc then they are within rights to keep their team intact and move on...nothing wrong with that either. Welcome to a message board...cest la vie

i get all that. leave aside MIN players. Do you or any buffalo fans see any chance of landing a reasonably young skilled complimentary top six forward in free agency? Do you think someone is going to trade you one for any assets you might have other than the off limits kind? I am not bagging on anyone--i'm curious. Buffalo has a huge leg-up over what EDM went through in my opinion by drafting a franchise defenseman so I would see how that looks before i made any major trades personally. Better chance of success with Dahlin on the back end if you have to fill a few top six slots with out of place forwards. EDM had nothing like that.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
i get all that. leave aside MIN players. Do you or any buffalo fans see any chance of landing a reasonably young skilled complimentary top six forward in free agency? Do you think someone is going to trade you one for any assets you might have other than the off limits kind? I am not bagging on anyone--i'm curious. Buffalo has a huge leg-up over what EDM went through in my opinion by drafting a franchise defenseman so I would see how that looks before i made any major trades personally. Better chance of success with Dahlin on the back end if you have to fill a few top six slots with out of place forwards. EDM had nothing like that.
Skinner and Pacioretty are the names that jump to mind for the sorts of offers we've seen in this thread. Neither is a bad target at all, but I'just not sure how an extension for either would fit with Buffalo's long-term cap situation. And both are obviously older than Zucker/Nino/Coyle, but not ancient.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
It means the Coyle discussion is so unproductive because they don’t have the available pieces to acquire him.
Considering that we have yet to see anyone come up with an offer that Minnesota has any reason to consider that doesn't include Reinhart or Buffalo's 2019 1st, then that's still the answer to the original question as it was asked.
Fair enough. If the Wild are in win-now mode and therefore not interested in a package with a middling first or a prospect like Nylander as the main piece, then there's no deal to be made here. Reinhart or the Buf 1st are too much of value mismatch to be in this discussion.

Reactions: Bazeek

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Firstly, the top6 winger situation in Buffalo isn't exactly great, but it's not totally awful, either. Reinhart, Sheary, Okposo and Rodrigues is a decent albeit not great group, as long as Eichel, Mittelstadt and Reinhart become the players we think they will be and as long as our d is solid or even good (ifs, of course).

Secondly, the Sabres have some reasonable depth in the pipeline now as far as complimentary scoring wingers go: Thompson, Olofsson, Smith, Nylander, O'Regan, Asplund, Davidsson, Pu, maybe even Baptiste and Bailey if they take the next step.

Thirdly, complimentary scoring winger is one of the more easy positions to fill in FA or via trades. We got Sheary for a 3rd, Armia went for relatively little, there's been rumors that Spooner might be available for relatively cheap. Players in the Grabner tier should be within UFA reach every year also, without having to blatantly overpay them. And if all else fails we've got two additional 1sts in the upcoming draft to work with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad