Value of: Charlie Coyle to Buffalo

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Honestly, i would accept Nylander + a 2nd. I differ from others obviously but I would love a 6'1 200 lb RW. Reports say he has some speed and a quality shot so ill take his growing pains and allow Nino to take Zuckers spot.
You obviously haven't been paying attention to Nylander's progress, or lack of it. Most Sabres fans think Asplund is the better prospect.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Asplund might end up being pretty good, and while BUF should improve, I see the 1st being a mid teens one. It's a fair deal, but BUFF would need to add some salary in order for the deal to happen cap wise. That's where things get a bit sticky...I mean, we could take Poms back for his final year, but the optics of that would be pretty awful for MN.

Not saying the Wild should, or would do that deal. I love what Zucker brings to the team.
I haven't seen a single Buffalo fan offer their 1st round pick in this thread. It's always been St Louis or San Jose.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I haven't seen a single Buffalo fan offer their 1st round pick in this thread. It's always been St Louis or San Jose.
Oh, ok then. A late first + Asplund? Yeah, I'm not to thrilled with that, but i don't follow Asplund that much.

Reactions: Bazeek

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN

In the past 6 drafts Buffalo has drafted:

1st
8th
8th
2nd
2nd
8th

This team might be marginally better than last year (trading ROR but gaining Dahlin, Sheary, and not much else.) . Its unlikely we trade our first as we are likely projecting to be a lottery team again.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
All that deal does is set us back 5 years and forces us to hope Nylander can be a similar player to Zucker. If we don’t have to trade Zucker, were not going to accept a deal like that.

Again, Reinhart is the target on Buffalo. Even Mittlestadt as a target is questionable due to him having never played in the NHL and being a giant question mark, albeit a promising one.

If Fenton makes a move with Buffalo, it’s either going to be Reinhart, or it’s going to be Mittlestadt+1st for insurance, if he likes Mittlestadt.

Based on the tweaking both he and Leipold implied.

With O'Reilly moved on, I don't think Buffalo has a target for us anymore.

29 other teams in the league.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
You obviously haven't been paying attention to Nylander's progress, or lack of it. Most Sabres fans think Asplund is the better prospect.

I have paid no attention other than 1 google search as to who he is. stats are shit yes but some scouting report says he can be this or that.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
In the past 6 drafts Buffalo has drafted:

1st
8th
8th
2nd
2nd
8th

This team might be marginally better than last year (trading ROR but gaining Dahlin, Sheary, and not much else.) . Its unlikely we trade our first as we are likely projecting to be a lottery team again.
That's understandable, but again we're left with the ever-dwindling list of assets that Sabres fans are willing to part with for Zucker or Nino. There's no deal to be made with what's left.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

I don't think he's been as bad as you might think.

The AHL isn't an easy place for young players, and the ones that adapt the easiest generally come from European leagues (playing against adults).

18 and 19 year old Nylander put up similar numbers to 20 year old Tuch (a step or two behind, but also 1-2 year younger, and coming from the CHL vs. the NCAA).

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
With O'Reilly moved on, I don't think Buffalo has a target for us anymore.

29 other teams in the league.

I don’t necessarily think O’Reilly was the best target for us in the first place with his contract. Reinhart is closer to what it’s been rumored we’re looking for, and if the Arizona deal was any indication, Reinhart is the only guy that fit the criteria even before O’Reilly was moved.

Obviously Buffalo isn’t keen on moving Reinhart, but for the Wild, he’s the only target that makes sense for the three wingers.

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN
That's understandable, but again we're left with the ever-dwindling list of assets that Sabres fans are willing to part with for Zucker or Nino. There's no deal to be made with what's left.

We have plenty of tradeable assets just not interested in trading our likely lottery pick, our top prospect, Eichel, Dahlin, Reinhart, or Risto for Zucker/Coyle.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
We have plenty of tradeable assets just not interested in trading our likely lottery pick, our top prospect, Eichel, Dahlin, Reinhart, or Risto for Zucker/Coyle.
Good idea on your part if that's you list of untradeables. But then stop bringing up the names of Coyle, Zucker and Niederreiter.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny

I am non-snarkily curious as to what assets you have other than those on the list what might gain you an upgrade at a position of need. Conceivably you might be able to take a decent but overpaid player off someone's hands I guess if they're cap-strapped but other than a good player with a bad contract what can you expect to gain.

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN
I am non-snarkily curious as to what assets you have other than those on the list what might gain you an upgrade at a position of need. Conceivably you might be able to take a decent but overpaid player off someone's hands I guess if they're cap-strapped but other than a good player with a bad contract what can you expect to gain.

I think that all of those assets i listed are more valuable than Zucker though Risto and Reinhart are definitely arguable.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
I think that all of those assets i listed are more valuable than Zucker though Risto and Reinhart are definitely arguable.

I'm not even arguing value of Zucker or anyone from the Wild vs your players. If there was interest in Coyle or Zucker level players by position (in general--from other teams as well) I was wondering what the other assets might be that you considered tradeable which would be ~ equal with minor adds one way or the other.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
All that deal does is set us back 5 years and forces us to hope Nylander can be a similar player to Zucker. If we don’t have to trade Zucker, were not going to accept a deal like that.

Again, Reinhart is the target on Buffalo. Even Mittlestadt as a target is questionable due to him having never played in the NHL and being a giant question mark, albeit a promising one.

If Fenton makes a move with Buffalo, it’s either going to be Reinhart, or it’s going to be Mittlestadt+1st for insurance, if he likes Mittlestadt.

Based on the tweaking both he and Leipold implied.

Not sure what in Minnesota you think is worth a league-wide top 5-10 prospect from a rebuilding team, but it's sure not Coyle.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Easy to see why Buffalo--still rebuilding--would absolutely need to keep a core of great young players because otherwise what's the point? But if you're missing something important how do you get it? Just wait? I don't think anyone is going to give you much in the way of the help you're seeking for a mishmash of 2nd round picks and bottom six players or low potential prospects. Could be wrong. Not all doom and gloom as you have some fantastic young players and prospects but EDM fans were all "this is our year" like 7 or 8 years in a row as they just piled up the high potential picks. Still haven't nailed it but it's at least looking better for them now, and that's only after they finally traded some of the first players they picked up in their rebuild.
Not blaming you at all or picking on anyone for rejecting the ideas in this thread--genuinely curious to see what scenarios you think could realistically happen to land you what you're looking for and keep the timeline to competitiveness from stretching out a half dozen more years.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Not sure what in Minnesota you think is worth a league-wide top 5-10 prospect from a rebuilding team, but it's sure not Coyle.
Tell ya what, why don't you make a list of the assets Buffalo has that are capable of returning a player like Coyle or Zucker. Once you have that list, decide if there's anything on it that you would be willing to actually move? If there is, then maybe there's a point in continuing this conversation.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Easy to see why Buffalo--still rebuilding--would absolutely need to keep a core of great young players because otherwise what's the point? But if you're missing something important how do you get it? Just wait? I don't think anyone is going to give you much in the way of the help you're seeking for a mishmash of 2nd round picks and bottom six players or low potential prospects. Could be wrong. Not all doom and gloom as you have some fantastic young players and prospects but EDM fans were all "this is our year" like 7 or 8 years in a row as they just piled up the high potential picks. Still haven't nailed it but it's at least looking better for them now, and that's only after they finally traded some of the first players they picked up in their rebuild.
Not blaming you at all or picking on anyone for rejecting the ideas in this thread--genuinely curious to see what scenarios you think could realistically happen to land you what you're looking for and keep the timeline to competitiveness from stretching out a half dozen more years.

Zucker, nino, and Coyle are not players capable of making or breaking any team in the league. They are all 2nd line players who provide decent depth scoring aka why teams missing that one elusive "piece" to go with their cornerstone playes ask about them.

That's where the rift begins. No one sabres or any other team is going to give up younger and higher potential players for complimentary wingers. Reinhart can play center and risto has shown as a dman he can score on similar levels as the wingers in this convo. Those 2 as asks are asinine.

All that aside the wild need inclination to trade any of these middling wingers and if they don't see a need for a nylander, guhle, late first type etc then they are within rights to keep their team intact and move on...nothing wrong with that either. Welcome to a message board...cest la vie

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Why would Buffalo send their 1st round pick to Minnesota at all? Or Reinhart for that matter?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Just a thought...Scandella was a third pairing guy on MN. I think that the Sabres have to be wary of equating what happens on the Wild lineup with what is happening on the Sabres.

Reactions: rynryn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad