Recalled/Assigned: Charlie Coyle (sent down on Feb 14)

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I was fairly impressed by Coyle last night. He didn't look out of place on that second line, and had a few nice opportunities. He could certainly hold onto the puck better than that flopper Cullen...

As long as he maintains a good work ethic, this might actually work out well.

I just wish we had a stronger player to center his line. It's too bad Brodziak is off to a bad start.
I was mostly impressed with Coyle's ability to create scoring chances even though he didn't score. Which loads of our guys don't even do. You don't need a team of guys who all are a PPG.

You only need a team of guys where each player creates 3 scoring chances a game. That's really it. Cause then you'll have at least 30 legit scoring chances a game, which means you are going to score a lot of goals.

And Coyle definitely carried his middle line load.

Averman

Ya, Yeo Betcha
Aug 18, 2011
I can't remember exactly who. But they said there was definite debates on size. A good portion said it didn't matter what you had, just as long as you know how to use it. Some of us said size is a factor.

There is no doubt we need Coyle to become an integral part of our team for years to come, but he will only find success as a dynamic player. Its either that or hes just another Palmieri-like player. Lots of talent, but no success. Its hard to be a dynamic player in the NHL. Much less the AHL, and Coyle showed he has struggled without support. Coyle isn't a complementary player. So this is an issue. I hope I'm wrong, though.

Yea, system needs to be defined as to what it is. Not exactly Dump and chase if you don't chase it.

I'm pretty sure the size debate was in regards more to the draft, so I wouldn't say it's completely analogous to this conversation. I'm also fairly certain that the one arguing that size didn't matter most vociferously was squidz, which means you're allowing yourself to be trolled from beyond the grave.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I'm pretty sure the size debate was in regards more to the draft, so I wouldn't say it's completely analogous to this conversation. I'm also fairly certain that the one arguing that size didn't matter most vociferously was squidz, which means you're allowing yourself to be trolled from beyond the grave.

:(

Did I miss something?

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
coyle looked good! Im happy for him, one rush he brought the puck up well with speed, seemed to shoot pretty good, and he protected the puck well. I bet he will stay up here. Next is trade seto, and bring up zucker

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
I am a little surprised by this, but I think it's the right call.

We have too many NHL players jocking for spots to keep up extra's that are only doing marginaly better.

I look forward to seeing him again. I could see him becoming a good top 6 player for us in the upcoming years.

JamesRanger

Sep 23, 2011
Plymouth
Good move. Coyle was solid and showed why we should be excited about him going forward. He needs more time to develop and he will get it now.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Yeo got an unsigned Valentine that said "I see you watching all the time. No need to play Coyle with me."

Wild33

Mar 27, 2009
Good move. Coyle was solid and showed why we should be excited about him going forward. He needs more time to develop and he will get it now.

Agree with TaLon and this. He did some good things and seemed to draw one penalty a game but some of the little things need working like board battles and being stronger with the puck. This only makes these guys more hungry to be back after getting a taste.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Coyle was fine up here but he needs to be more confident with his shot, amongst other things, and I think that's something he can further develop down in Houston.

Overall, this was a good call-up to see how he'd react to the speed ofthe NHL game and give him an idea of what he needs to improve upon to eventually secure a permanent job in St. Paul.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Coyle is still polished and he wasn't scoring in the NHL. Was going to happen sooner rather than later. He was brought up to get guys like Granlund and Setoguchi playing better, and they have.

Plus, we can now give shots to Zucker and Larsson.

PariseSuterKoivu

Jul 9, 2012
Coyle looked like he belonged in the NHL for sure. But I guess if the AHL is better for his development at this point then I'm fine with him going down. Hope they give Zucker and Larsson a taste of the NHL soon.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
They are going to Try Brodiziak on the 2nd line (i like this move personally he plays in the dirty areas) with top line reunited they wanted to make some space.

My guess is, in the next few games we'll see some trades if this team doesn't turn it around and we'll see Larsson/Zuker

I like what i've seen from coyle, he needs to work a bit more on his game but he'll be a good power forward, just don't think i'd expect more then 20g from him but the space and room he'll create for his teamates will be good.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Coyle looked like he belonged in the NHL for sure. But I guess if the AHL is better for his development at this point then I'm fine with him going down. Hope they give Zucker and Larsson a taste of the NHL soon.

I think he showed he's close, not quite ready. He was ok in transition, wasn't a liability in his own zone, but was too much of a passenger in the offensive zone. Wasn't willing to shoot or go to the net.

Billy Mays Here*

Knew this was coming sooner or later. He was decent but it's obvious that he's not quite ready to be a full time NHLer yet.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Good call Talon...he looked a lot like the guys on the team now, had some nice chances, some very good play, some invisibility, wasn't finishing. No harm in having him rip up the AHL for a while.

He's not more deserving of to six minutes than those in today's top six, thus yes, let him play top six in Houston instead. He'll be back, and hopefully a bit more ready when he is.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
I was pretty encouraged by his stint. He didn't look out of place at all in the NHL but he never did anything that made it absolutely necessary for them to keep him up. He'll be a good one down the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad