Recalled/Assigned: Charlie Coyle (sent down on Feb 14)

goatvindaloo

May 11, 2012
Shenandoah Valley
I want to see Zucker as much as anybody. The problem with calling him up is he doesn't solve Minnesota's primary issue. I see a team struggling to get shots on goal largely because the 2nd line has lacked the size to maintain puck control in the offensive zone. The 2nd line's next biggest problem has been not having somebody who can park himself in front of the net. Coyle's big frame is the most logical solution to that. The line really needs a big, strong skater with good board play - and it's not like the kid can't put the puck in the net.

Let's give Coyle a chance before we scream bloody murder.

I would post more things, but then you say what I was going to, so now I don't have to.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
Bringing up a rookie struggling to score in the AHL is a great move. My apologies. I should not have wanted to bring up a hot Zucker up. To want this team to shoot the puck more and become faster was a totally irresponsible want of mine. Especially since we are the 26th in the league in shots per game. Take in all the other leagues and they are one of the best in the world. Who knew that this team would have to dare to shoot on goal to score? Huh. Beats me. Once again, my apologies.

Bull. Zucker has been good with his boards play and plays a solid defensive game. I don't see any other rookies blocking as many shots as him or sacrificing his body for the team. But if its fiery passion you don't want, then Coyle is a good choice.

You argue as if I have some sort of hatred for Zucker and his game?? I am as big of a Zucker fan as anyone and watched many Aeros games during the lockout. I think he would be a great addition to the Wild this season but the problem with this team right now is we are being overmatched physically and cannot get puck possession time in the offensive zone.

Now tell me who is going to be better at this?? The 6'3 222pound Coyle who virtually wins every wall battle or the speedy 160 pound Jason Zucker?

Also we needed a RW not a LW.

Its not that Zucker isn't ready or theres a problem with his game..its just it isn't his time yet. We need Coyle right now more than we need Zucker. Zucker will get his time this season...dont worry about that.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
You argue as if I have some sort of hatred for Zucker and his game?? I am as big of a Zucker fan as anyone and watched many Aeros games during the lockout. I think he would be a great addition to the Wild this season but the problem with this team right now is we are being overmatched physically and cannot get puck possession time in the offensive zone.

Now tell me who is going to be better at this?? The 6'3 222pound Coyle who virtually wins every wall battle or the speedy 160 pound Jason Zucker?

Its not that Zucker isn't ready or theres a problem with his game..its just it isn't his time yet. We need Coyle right now more than we need Zucker. Zucker will get his time this season...dont worry about that.

Yeah, pretty much this.

Also, can we FINALLY try Bouchard-Brodziak-Coyle as the 3rd line once Seto/Granny gets back on 2nd?

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market

Who cares if Coyle virtually wins every battle. We need him to realistically, which he doesn't do. Coyle has been barely able to put score on AHL teams and AHL goalies. What makes everyone so sure he can do it in the NHL? Yes, I'd love to see him do great. Yes, the Wild need a player like him. But is he really ready?

The problem with our offensive is we're dumping it in every time up the ice and then either not pursuing the puck or only sending one guy. Neither of those work. And then theres the chip it up from the defensive zone. This system has to go. Its absolutely terrible.

I like how everyone in the off-season kept saying size doesn't matter size doesn't matter, its how you use it, then justify bringing up Coyle with we need size. Rather hypocritical. I was a proponent for size does matter and I still don't think its his time to come up.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Who cares if Coyle virtually wins every battle. We need him to realistically, which he doesn't do. Coyle has been barely able to put score on AHL teams and AHL goalies. What makes everyone so sure he can do it in the NHL? Yes, I'd love to see him do great. Yes, the Wild need a player like him. But is he really ready?

The problem with our offensive is we're dumping it in every time up the ice and then either not pursuing the puck or only sending one guy. Neither of those work. And then theres the chip it up from the defensive zone. This system has to go. Its absolutely terrible.

I like how everyone in the off-season kept saying size doesn't matter size doesn't matter, its how you use it, then justify bringing up Coyle with we need size. Rather hypocritical. I was a proponent for size does matter and I still don't think its his time to come up.

So who were these great hockey minds saying size doesn't matter. It clearly does and always has. If you don't have the size you have to make up for this deficiency with well above average skating and hockey sense so you can avoid getting killed. I just think Coyle fits our NHL teams needs right now better than Zucker, but I wouldn't have been against giving him a shot. I think this organization just really wants Coyle to be a key player for us going forward and they are giving him every opportunity to become that. I hope he can too.

And you say our problem is with our system of dump and chase, I would have to agree with you on that. We just don't have the personnel to play the puck possession game.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
relax guys, all questions will be answered tonight, lets give the guy a shot and see how this team looks with him in this lineup first.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
considering Yeo wanted them more engaged and tough to play against, and no one else in the top lines seems inclined to hit other than Heatley, I don't see hitting as an exclusively "grinder" thing to do. he does look like he's getting worse, but why is that surprising everyone who has been complaining that Cullen is not top six material himself, and Granlund has been very disappointing given the expectations that were built up. he isn't heatley who can produce at least a little all by himself (figuratively speaking). Like i said, Seto needs to play with good players. Cullen and Granlund are not good at this point in time. Sounds like the beef with Seto (as inferred from Russo's examples of why he's being sent a message) have more to do with attitude/effort than skill.

The thing with Seto is this:

Hitting is not the end-all be-all of physical play in the offensive zone. Sure a hit (body check on a player carrying the puck) is important to creating turnovers, but a big part is being able to TAKE a hit while maintaining puck possession, or taking a hit and still being able to make a play.

Koivu is KING of that. Parise too. Those guys can rag the puck while fighting off a defender, or take a bump and still keep the puck on their stick.

Granlund and Seto cough up the puck at the slightest bump, and that's causing a big-time issue on the second line. Can't maintain puck possession in the offensive zone. Now you combine that with poor defensive zone play and poor puck movement through the NZ and into the OZ, that's why people are getting sent a message.

I can't think of any guys outside Koivu and Parise that can consistently hang on to the puck in the face of physical play. Heatley's okay. Brodz a little but he's had brick hands this year. Cullen and Clutter struggle with the puck without contact. Seto should be better but he's been coughing it up this year. Granny just bites it upon contact.

Coyle PROJECTS to be a guy who can take a bump and keep the puck through his size and strength, and we'll see how his hands are.

That's what Latendresse brought to the lineup and it was HUGE for the team. Of course couldn't stay healthy.

Does it matter? Wild have sputtered offensively and don't have time to turn it around. Give Coyle a shot. Worst case scenario, Wild continue to offensively sputter. There's no downside to it.

What system is this? Wild have been much better on the transition from the back end than in years past, and they've carried the puck in quite a bit. They've also turned it over at the blue line quite a bit, especially the games I've seen from Granlund recently.

Hey.. That was/is my number. I love it.

:laugh:

It actually doesn't look bad on the greens, but the numbers for the whites are awful. Might look good with some better fonts.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
So who were these great hockey minds saying size doesn't matter. It clearly does and always has. If you don't have the size you have to make up for this deficiency with well above average skating and hockey sense so you can avoid getting killed. I just think Coyle fits our NHL teams needs right now better than Zucker, but I wouldn't have been against giving him a shot. I think this organization just really wants Coyle to be a key player for us going forward and they are giving him every opportunity to become that. I hope he can too.

And you say our problem is with our system of dump and chase, I would have to agree with you on that. We just don't have the personnel to play the puck possession game.

I can't remember exactly who. But they said there was definite debates on size. A good portion said it didn't matter what you had, just as long as you know how to use it. Some of us said size is a factor.

There is no doubt we need Coyle to become an integral part of our team for years to come, but he will only find success as a dynamic player. Its either that or hes just another Palmieri-like player. Lots of talent, but no success. Its hard to be a dynamic player in the NHL. Much less the AHL, and Coyle showed he has struggled without support. Coyle isn't a complementary player. So this is an issue. I hope I'm wrong, though.

Yea, system needs to be defined as to what it is. Not exactly Dump and chase if you don't chase it.

Does it matter? Wild have sputtered offensively and don't have time to turn it around. Give Coyle a shot. Worst case scenario, Wild continue to offensively sputter. There's no downside to it..

It matters a little. At least we know Zucker can put up some numbers.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I can't remember exactly who. But they said there was definite debates on size. A good portion said it didn't matter what you had, just as long as you know how to use it. Some of us said size is a factor.

There is no doubt we need Coyle to become an integral part of our team for years to come, but he will only find success as a dynamic player. Its either that or hes just another Palmieri-like player. Lots of talent, but no success. Its hard to be a dynamic player in the NHL. Much less the AHL, and Coyle showed he has struggled without support. Coyle isn't a complementary player. So this is an issue. I hope I'm wrong, though.

Yea, system needs to be defined as to what it is. Not exactly Dump and chase if you don't chase it.

It matters a little. At least we know Zucker can put up some numbers.

I don't think Coyle is or will ever be a "dynamic" player. His game is not flashy. He does not dangle, he does not rush down the side and snipe, and he does not have a booming shot. What he does, though, is cycle extremely well, protect the puck, and has great net presence. The style of play in the AHL in general, and the type of line he was on with Houston, did not play that style.

PariseSuterKoivu

Jul 9, 2012
I wouldn't mind if we were to send Granlund down to Houston for a while. Now he knows the areas he needs to work on. Bring up Larsson to play 2nd line center between Heatley and Gooch with Coyle being tried on the first line. I think this would improve the 2 way play on the 2nd line alot and help the offense. Larsson is more ready at this point than Granlund, though he also needs more seasoning. The NHL experience would be good for him, as it has been for Granlund. Zucker should be up some time this year as well, and I could see us eventually trading Gooch for a D prospect.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
every time i read the title of this thread i think of an obituary.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami

For GOD sakes, Zucker is the EXACT SAME SIZE AS PARISE.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Like 10 pounds lighter than Parise, but definitely not the 160 mentioned earlier. Parise plays a lot bigger than 5"11 195 though.

Dang. I see that Parise's weight has been changed since it was 188. Which is what Zucks is. Same height too.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Russo just said that if it wasn't Coyle being called up, it would've been Larsson...Zucker was 3rd option.

Ninjas In Pajamas*

Russo just said that if it wasn't Coyle being called up, it would've been Larsson...Zucker was 3rd option.

While I love Zucker, Coyle was the right choice.
For all I care, Setoguchi is simply keeping Zucker's spot warm atm :nod:

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
every time i read the title of this thread i think of an obituary.

Charlie Coyle was a great human being, and it was tragic to lose him so young. But after he did not get a hat-trick in his first NHL game, the Minnesota Wild fanbase felt he had no place in the Wild system, and put him out of his misery.

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
As frustrating as the present can be right now, we're seeing the future slowly materialize in front of our eyes tonight and this year. This is going to be so much fun to watch.

10dynasty38*

Maybe the Wild ought to just strip Houston to the bone. Call up Larsson Zucker, Hackett and Package Brodziak, Setoguchi, Kassian and Harding for a good Offensive minded puck moving d man.and some picks.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
I was fairly impressed by Coyle last night. He didn't look out of place on that second line, and had a few nice opportunities. He could certainly hold onto the puck better than that flopper Cullen...

As long as he maintains a good work ethic, this might actually work out well.

I just wish we had a stronger player to center his line. It's too bad Brodziak is off to a bad start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad