Player Discussion Charlie Coyle - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He's in a slump, but he'll pull out of it. He'll be 29 next month and is what he is, a solid puck possession 3rd line center capable of 30 - 40 points.

A tough contract for those services given his age (35 at expiry) and the steady decline we'll see, but at least you have a serviceable player. This isn't a Backes situation.

Not yet anyways.

Backes fell off really between his age 32 (2016-17) and age 33 seasons. Coyle's age 33 season would be his final one under this deal. The final couple years of Coyle's deal may not be all that great especially if he's already peaked (good chance). Backes was still really effective in his final season in St. Louis.

Reactions: Kalus

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I really liked the short-lived Ritchie-Coyle-Frederic line. I'm not concerned about his lack of production given that the team is performing so well. He'll pick it up when we need him to, he's been incredibly clutch for us.

It'll take a few more weeks for me to worry about him. I think he's playing through something.

They've played 40 seconds together. I'd be curious to know what you saw in those 40 seconds that you really liked, because honestly I didn't even know they had played together lol.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
They've played 40 seconds together. I'd be curious to know what you saw in those 40 seconds that you really liked, because honestly I didn't even know they had played together lol.

Maybe it wasn’t Ritchie but I remember Coyle and Frederic with someone else on the left being good for a game or two. Maybe I was drunk. Or hopeful. Or both.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
People got fooled by Coyle's cup run a couple years ago. That's just not who he is. Decent player but he's always left you wanting more going back to Minnesota. He just doesn't produce enough.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Question: Is this a "bad" year for Coyle? or what we should come to expect out of him.

Watching the games - he's nearly invisible. On the stat sheet - forgetabout it... What mysterious sumthin are they seeing in Coyle this year?

Bad year (still early) he around a 40pt player and right now he's playing at a 23pt pace (that's over 82 games).

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Question: Is this a "bad" year for Coyle? or what we should come to expect out of him.

Watching the games - he's nearly invisible. On the stat sheet - forgetabout it... What mysterious sumthin are they seeing in Coyle this year?

Probably a bad year but even then he's just not the player some thought he would be after that playoff run.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Felger absolutely destroying Coyle today for his horrific play this season

good to see someone in the media call him out

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Felger absolutely destroying Coyle today for his horrific play this season

good to see someone in the media call him out
I wouldn't give him too much credit. He thinks the Bruins should trade Pastrnak for Crosby.

Reactions: BMC

twominute

Mar 16, 2008
Washington, dc
Backes also played a much harder game than Coyle so his body was beaten down by the time he came to Boston. Hopefully Coyle’s body can last reasonably well to 35.

Not yet anyways.

Backes fell off really between his age 32 (2016-17) and age 33 seasons. Coyle's age 33 season would be his final one under this deal. The final couple years of Coyle's deal may not be all that great especially if he's already peaked (good chance). Backes was still really effective in his final season in St. Louis.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I focused on Coyle last night. I am buying the injury rumors. He would move fairly well without traffic. I saw him take the advantage into traffic several times and he lost every time. He went from beast moding to be a guy that is easy to knock off the puck. I have no idea what the injury would be but that’s where my gut is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad