Player Discussion Charlie Coyle - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
There's no proof im wrong. Again Cirelli playing at a 53pt pace...that 2C production.

Quit trying to be 2 clever by half.
You made a declarative statement that a team is not a SC contender if Coyle is the #2 center. I 'm saying TB is strong enough across the board that Coyle taking Cerelli place does not knock them out of a contenders spot. They are the only team that could absorb those losses and stay as contenders because thats how dominant Hedman, Point, Kucherov and Vasy can be.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Quit trying to be 2 clever by half.
You made a declarative statement that a team is not a SC contender if Coyle is the #2 center. I 'm saying TB is strong enough across the board that Coyle taking Cerelli place does not knock them out of a contenders spot. They are the only team that could absorb those losses and stay as contenders because thats how dominant Hedman, Point, Kucherov and Vasy can be.

Again you haven't proven me wrong, just throwing out a theory based on your opinion lol. Basically your saying if the team has a MVP caliber player, a Norris caliber player, a Vezina caliber player and another elite forward, then they can compete with a 3C in a 2C role....ya because so many teams are in that situation lol.

Just stop lol. You don't agree with my opinion and I certianly don't agree with yours. Let's just agree to disagree

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I remember when the Bruins lost the Cup to #2C Michael Handzus.

There are many ways to build a contender. You can overcome a sub par 2nd line with a top notch 3rd, overcome a lack of a #1D with a lot of #2D, etc

How do you have the Rocket winner, Bergeron and Marchand and still finish 15th in even strength scoring?

The problem isn’t Coyle or Krejci.

Bruins problem is that you can’t roll out FIVE wingers getting 4th line production. Krejci at least gets an imperfect but 2nd line goal scorer on his left.

Studnicka being a full time guy will help. Kase getting more comfortable will help. Still need more.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I love Coyle...but if Coyle is one of your top 2 centers you've got major issues

Another rediculous post denigrating Coyle as a
#2 C. Coyle would be a #2 C on Columbus for certain
and its a legit argument between he and Nelson
on NYI. With Giroux on the wing I would take Coyle over Hayes especially with a almost $2M cap
differential. So thats 3 out of the 8 EC teams.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I remember when the Bruins lost the Cup to #2C Michael Handzus.

There are many ways to build a contender. You can overcome a sub par 2nd line with a top notch 3rd, overcome a lack of a #1D with a lot of #2D, etc

How do you have the Rocket winner, Bergeron and Marchand and still finish 15th in even strength scoring?

The problem isn’t Coyle or Krejci.

Bruins problem is that you can’t roll out FIVE wingers getting 4th line production. Krejci at least gets an imperfect but 2nd line goal scorer on his left.

Studnicka being a full time guy will help. Kase getting more comfortable will help. Still need more.

Yes, we don't need Sweeney to build the perfect roster, we just need him to actually acquire a reliable second line scoring wing, and give the third line at least one wing with some offensive punch. Maybe a line of New Guy-Krejci-Kase gets it done and you can put JDB with Coyle and Studnicka/Bjork/Nick Ritchie (provided he ups his skating game). Leave the 4th liners on the 4th line where they belong.

Reactions: Oates2Neely and BMC

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Ideally Coyle is a 3C but with the right wingers he could handle the 2C if there were no better options. When I say the right wingers I don't mean guys like Ritchie,Bjork, Kuhlman, Kase or even DeBrusk. I mean better than that.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I think Bjork, with another season under his belt, can help secondary scoring on Coyle's left wing next year. 9 goals/19 points in 58 games this past year, maybe jump up to 15 goals/30 points this coming season. It's alright production from a third liner. That line could use an infusion of talent on the RW and hopefully, that's Studnicka.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Coyle is a really good role player, who is one of those guys who is tough to play against. Worst player on a 1st line, 2nd best on a second line, best player on a third line.
You are setting yourself up for disappointment if you expect him to be anything more than that.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Coyle is a really good role player, who is one of those guys who is tough to play against. Worst player on a 1st line, 2nd best on a second line, best player on a third line.
You are setting yourself up for disappointment if you expect him to be anything more than that.

People are pretty much thinking he could be a #2C when you give him Hall on the wing.

Hall- Coyle would be tough to play against.

Reactions: NJ Bruin

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
What's going on with Coyle? Only 4pts so far, 23pt pace over 82 games. Regardless of his production, it feels like his play has fallen off a bit. Is he playing with an injury?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
What's going on with Coyle? Only 4pts so far, 23pt pace over 82 games. Regardless of his production, it feels like his play has fallen off a bit. Is he playing with an injury?

He is not looking like the guy from last season, that's for sure. I haven't seen a true "Coyle Beast Mode" out of him yet. He is playing at the level of Sean Kuraly when Kuraly is going well, which is not terrible, but not what you want or need out of Coyle.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
In a couple of threads I've seen posts that Coyle is nursing an injury. I actually hope that is the case and not that he's enjoying his payday too much.

Reactions: HustleB

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
This is the Coyle the Wild traded and fans hated watching play

And a reason why we need to Re up Krejci for 2 more years 2x10..Krejci is still producing (60point pace) this season

Coyle has only scored over 45 points 1x in his career...Krejci has done it 10x

Coyle will never be a 2nd line center he is what he is a elite 3rd line guy who floats a lot

playing against bottom pairs and having a quality winger in either Smith or DeBrusk as a linemate for atleast every game this year there is no excuse for his lack of production

Reactions: Skelen

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
He has been meh. But he never actually scores a lot of points. He is a possession player. He hasn’t been great so far though. Not as effective as I’m used to any ways. But he hasn’t been atrocious either. Just meh. He isn’t even close to as good as krecji. Not sure why anyone would want to move krecji and bump coyle to 2nd line. Krecji is so underrated

Reactions: CDJ and Number6

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
He's playing thru an injury and getting the Krejci treatment of revolving wings. I hope he and DeBrusk stay together for awhile to give him a consistent partner he can gel with.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I really liked the short-lived Ritchie-Coyle-Frederic line. I'm not concerned about his lack of production given that the team is performing so well. He'll pick it up when we need him to, he's been incredibly clutch for us.

It'll take a few more weeks for me to worry about him. I think he's playing through something.

Reactions: CDJ and BMC

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
In a couple of threads I've seen posts that Coyle is nursing an injury. I actually hope that is the case and not that he's enjoying his payday too much.
it better be the case, I don`t know, in his time in Boston he looks like a guy who works his tail off and we`ve seen him take possession of the puck and trying to steal it from him is near impossible, we simply aren`t seeing that this season. Just has to be something bothering him but right now, he feels like a liability out there, just isn`t doing anything

Reactions: BMC

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
People are pretty much thinking he could be a #2C when you give him Hall on the wing.

Hall- Coyle would be tough to play against.
speaking of Hall, any word on his injury? I have seen only highlights of the kid that are posted here, really intriguing prospect

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Not really too concerned about him given his revolving cast, he’s certainly not playing at his ceiling though

Honestly he’s playing like he did when we first got him and he was getting used to everything. I think he had like 5 points in 20something games and then the playoffs happened

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
He has been meh. But he never actually scores a lot of points. He is a possession player. He hasn’t been great so far though. Not as effective as I’m used to any ways. But he hasn’t been atrocious either. Just meh. He isn’t even close to as good as krecji. Not sure why anyone would want to move krecji and bump coyle to 2nd line. Krecji is so underrated

When speaking of 1st line, 2nd line etc. We're talking 5 on 5 correct? Krejci still has less 5 on 5 points than Coyle.... Same as last year. Neck and neck with Bjork, Kuraly, and Carlo since beginning of last year into this year...... Yep, that's where you want your 2C. Also it's all his wingers fault.

Love Krejci. Just think he's more "specialty" at this point. Thrives with space. That's why he excels offensively on the PP, 3 on 3, 4 on 4, EN etc. Also still a really solid two-way center who's proven to be pretty darn solid in the dot. Just like with Krug or Chara, can't delude yourself into believing he's something more because he puts up so many points or plays so many minutes.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
it better be the case, I don`t know, in his time in Boston he looks like a guy who works his tail off and we`ve seen him take possession of the puck and trying to steal it from him is near impossible, we simply aren`t seeing that this season. Just has to be something bothering him but right now, he feels like a liability out there, just isn`t doing anything
He was most effective when he drove the net or, as you noted, played puck possession in the offensive zone. I think he must be injured to have abandoned both of those aspects of his game.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
He's in a slump, but he'll pull out of it. He'll be 29 next month and is what he is, a solid puck possession 3rd line center capable of 30 - 40 points.

A tough contract for those services given his age (34 at expiry) and the steady decline we'll see, but at least you have a serviceable player. This isn't a Backes situation.

Edit: fixed age at expiry

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad