Player Discussion Charles Hudon

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Ma parole :facepalm:

Don't worry it will be either Lehkonen or Hudon with Suzuki and Armia, not Evans.

I will say, I've liked Evans on the wing so far. Didn't get to see him at center the other night. But my instincts tell me to start him off on the wing - in the top 9 - to get him used to the speed of the NHL game.

Reactions: jaffy27

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Good AHL guy.....................can't do it in the NHL anymore...
Every time he gets an NHL opportunity, he can't shine. He did early on when he got called up the first time, a few years ago. Now that he's basically become an AHL regular, he seems to be holding his stick too tight, like he also did in training camp and last season. I find that he's even faster than I expected. I believe it's a matter of his (lack of) confidence in the NHL. Not having much icetime and knowing that he's one mistake away from being even used less, benched or sent back to Laval.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Every time he gets an NHL opportunity, he can't shine. He did early on when he got called up the first time, a few years ago. Now that he's basically become an AHL regular, he seems to be holding his stick too tight, like he also did in training camp and last season. I find that he's even faster than I expected. I believe it's a matter of his (lack of) confidence in the NHL. Not having much icetime and knowing that he's one mistake away from being even used less, benched or sent back to Laval.

we know Lehkonen-Suzuki-Armia won't work. Why not try Hudon-Suzuki-Armia or Hudon-Suzuki-Lehkonen?

Honestly, Hudon-Plekanec-Lehkonen had some good moments together. I'd try Hudon-Suzuki-Lehkonen first. Can't put Armia on the 4th line? Yes, you can.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
we know Lehkonen-Suzuki-Armia won't work. Why not try Hudon-Suzuki-Armia or Hudon-Suzuki-Lehkonen?

Honestly, Hudon-Plekanec-Lehkonen had some good moments together. I'd try Hudon-Suzuki-Lehkonen first. Can't put Armia on the 4th line? Yes, you can.
You can put Armia on the third line and Weal on the 4th

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
After all the chances he got, it's obvious from watching him last night, the final step is too high for him. He 'll have to get claimed cause he ain't going any higher here.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Don’t remember him ever getting much opportunity. The coaching staff don’t like him for whatever reason. I’m surprised, I thought he fit in with CJ. He’s an NHLer, he just needs to be given a real shot. Seasons over, give him some ice time and let him play. What do we have to lose at this point. It’s not like we can ruin his development. I think he’s good enough without a doubt.

I know a lot of people don’t feel the same way, but I think they are letting the coaches handling of him dictate the narrative. Come on Charles, prove everyone wrong.

Reactions: montreal

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Don’t remember him ever getting much opportunity. The coaching staff don’t like him for whatever reason. I’m surprised, I thought he fit in with CJ. He’s an NHLer, he just needs to be given a real shot. Seasons over, give him some ice time and let him play. What do we have to lose at this point. It’s not like we can ruin his development. I think he’s good enough without a doubt.

I know a lot of people don’t feel the same way, but I think they are letting the coaches handling of him dictate the narrative. Come on Charles, prove everyone wrong.
Him fanning on PP opportunities when being used at the right circle has been the thing hurting him the most. I remember it in pre-season and it happened in last night's game. He scores on these chances in the AHL. He can't afford to do less than get good scoring opportunities. Anyway, he's 25 and opportunities come in smaller samples by that age. I like him and I'd like if he was able to score a bit.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Him fanning on PP opportunities when being used at the right circle has been the thing hurting him the most. I remember it in pre-season and it happened in last night's game. He scores on these chances in the AHL. He can't afford to do less than get good scoring opportunities. Anyway, he's 25 and opportunities come in smaller samples by that age. I like him and I'd like if he was able to score a bit.
I think he knows his leash is short and he’s not playing his game. Take him aside and tell him he’s going to play even if he makes a mistake or two.

Reactions: Big Lurk and Fixxer

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You can put Armia on the third line and Weal on the 4th

I didn't see last game. But from the highlights, Weal was generating offense, no?

But really, I'd like to see:

Tatar Suzuki Hudon/Evans
Byron Domi Gallagher
Lehkonen Danault Armia (play against opposition's best offensive line)
Weise Evans/Weal Weal/Hudon

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

If Charles hudon is the answer, we are asking the wrong goddamned questions

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

I tend to side with the coaches on this one. I don't see an NHLer in Hudon. He's not fast, strong or skilled enough. Guys with his one timer are everywhere in the NHL, we keep laughing at Galchy, but he had an even better one. His offense can't make up for all the one on ones he loses or his weak possession game. It's just too modest and it's limited even more by his size and strength. I hope I'm wrong about the kid because I like him too, but he's that typical guy that's too good for the AHL, but not enough for the NHL.

Asamu

Aug 24, 2010
Saguenay
The question is still why we signed him in the first place when he was out of the portrait anyway? He's still ''un petit gars de chez nous'' and I'll always be from Saguenay after all. I've never seen a 5th rounder had that amount of chances to prove himself. He got a good wrister against AHL goalies and to me, his potential capped 3 years ago.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The question is still why we signed him in the first place when he was out of the portrait anyway? He's still ''un petit gars de chez nous'' and I'll always be from Saguenay after all. I've never seen a 5th rounder had that amount of chances to prove himself. He got a good wrister against AHL goalies and to me, his potential capped 3 years ago.

He's a minor league injury replacement. Even if he's "overpaid", his salary counts 0 against the cap when he's in laval and close to the league minimum when he's in Montreal.

He's had a good season in Laval and in particular has been a good linemate for KK. Of all the moves and non-moves Bergevin has and hasn't made, this isn't one I spend a quarter of a second thinking negatively about.

Reactions: Doxinoctae

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I tend to side with the coaches on this one. I don't see an NHLer in Hudon. He's not fast, strong or skilled enough. Guys with his one timer are everywhere in the NHL, we keep laughing at Galchy, but he had an even better one. His offense can't make up for all the one on ones he loses or his weak possession game. It's just too modest and it's limited even more by his size and strength. I hope I'm wrong about the kid because I like him too, but he's that typical guy that's too good for the AHL, but not enough for the NHL.

He's a minor league injury replacement. Even if he's "overpaid", his salary counts 0 against the cap when he's in laval and close to the league minimum when he's in Montreal.

He's had a good season in Laval and in particular has been a good linemate for KK. Of all the moves and non-moves Bergevin has and hasn't made, this isn't one I spend a quarter of a second thinking negatively about.

It's possible that Hudon won't cut it in the NHL no matter who he is played with, but perhaps he could be tried with KK and Armia. KK obviously likes feeding him, and Armia makes up for some of the things Hudon lacks.

Suzuki is struggling a bit at C right now and could use a bit less defensive responsibility so that he can create, like Kane, Radulov and other all-round wingers.

With Drouin hurt, I might try:

Tatar-Domi-Suzuki (Suzuki takes draws on right side)
Byron-Danault-Gallagher
Hudon-Kotkaniemi-Armia
Lehkonen-Evans-Weal

I think that first line could be really productive when Max is playing well.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016

Hudon is about at the same spot as Peca was. In the .. 17-18 season, Hudon was up all year, something Peca never had the chance to in his career. What I mean by that is that Peca knows he's going up and down but a guy like Hudon thought he made the NHL during that 17-18 season. Then he decided to get bigger and he lost some speed and he didn't have much else to offer. This season he got leaner, but he couldn't make the most of his opportunities in the big league. We'll see when he plays again and I wish him good luck. And yeah, he needs to loosen up instead of forcing things, but he has limited opportunities these days, so it leads to that.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I most certainly did
I don’t wish to engage with people who misconstrue posts and create strawman arguments. If you think I said Charles Hudon was the answer in any of my posts that I have ever wrote then your reading comprehension is lacking or you’re lying. I don’t think it’s lack of comprehension. I’d prefer not to discuss this with you any further.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad