Player Discussion Charles Hudon Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I know he's not a speedster, but I never really thought he was as slow as people claim he is. Nothing that would hinder an NHL career.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
This dude might actually resurrect Plekanec. So, so, so happy Vegas ****ed up and didn't take him in expansion.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I never said the contrary , the post I was replying too made it seem like speed wasn't a factor because guys like Robitaille had great careers.
I am of the opinion that many strong players wouldn't do well in today's NHL as the game is faster than it's ever been. Doesn't mean a player that has mediocre foot speed can't have success it's just less likely. Players with elite speed always stood out to me but in previous generations of the NHL , big players were able to get away with pretty much murder. We are now in the era where the game emphasizes speed and skill to the point where the some types of players have little to no place in the NHL (Enforcers/Grinders/energy players with little skill).

I will not contradict you, I am a true beleiver of speed and skills. It looks under that angle odds are against that Hudon but, there is a but, he can prove us wrong with that speeding thing with something else he brings, ...and he may not be that slow too. The medias say he trained like a dog in the last 6 months.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
This dude might actually resurrect Plekanec. So, so, so happy Vegas ****ed up and didn't take him in expansion.

I would say so but with 29 other teams, how many *Hudon the teams have?
Hudon is one of the how many players on the way to enter the NHL and I don't have the knowlege of the others guys comparable. There must be many other Hudon* in the league.

*Hudon is sample name in the post

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Players with high IQ and vision but with average speed tend te be able to slow down the game to their pace.

First exemple that come to my mind is Ribeiro who used to do that a lot. Giroux does that too

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Hudon's two way play for Team Canada exhibited his prowess against Top level players in the WJHC's. Having played 3 entire seasons in the AHL should have him well prepared for the speed of the NHL game, IMHO!!!...:yo::yo::yo:

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I know he's not a speedster, but I never really thought he was as slow as people claim he is. Nothing that would hinder an NHL career.

I believe he's good enough to play in the NHL. I am just uncertain whether he'll be able to keep up with the top players of this league. When we'll see him against the best, we'll know whether he's capable or not. The good thing with pleky and Lehkonen is that he has two mobile linemates with him.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I think fans and even teams ( Habs for one ) sometimes understate the importance of skating ability but every now and then a guy can make up for it, and Ribs is a good example of that.

No predictions by me, but really hope Hudon gets a real shot at it this year and shows he belongs.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
we'll see how the preseason goes for him, I seem to recall last year he struggled a bit in the preseason. Have always been a big fan, the skill and IQ are there for sure, but it's the lack of strength, speed, skating and size that have people questioning if he can be an effective NHLer or not. I think with his smarts and skills he can overcome the rest but we'll need to see if he can do enough to earn a full time spot and then we'll need to see what he does with it if so.

I've been hearing a lot of fans on talk shows bring up Hudon's abilities as a centerman and some talk show hosts entertaining the notion.

Is that plausible that he could fill the role or is he strictly a winger at this point?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
How does that make him not a French Canadian exactly?

The post you quoted was replying to this one (emphasis mine):

And they are both French Quebeckers, too! Hope springs eternal. Giroux was one of the top players in the NHL for a while. If Hudon is anything like him it will be great. Another guy fitting the mold you described is Deharnais, fyi.

Btw, I hope Hudon turns some heads. We will see.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I've been hearing a lot of fans on talk shows bring up Hudon's abilities as a centerman and some talk show hosts entertaining the notion.

Is that plausible that he could fill the role or is he strictly a winger at this point?

It's possible, I suppose, but Hudon played very little C in the AHL. I don't see that even being a consideration unless there are some injuries to the C line.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Playing a full season, I hope he can get more than 25 points. Lehkonen was 21 last year. Hudon will be 23 this year. To me, 35 isnt out of reach.

It's going to mostly depend on whether he is on the PP or not. It's very hard to produce 30+ points from the bottom-six without PP time.

Just look at how many points Drouin put up at ES for example.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
It's going to mostly depend on whether he is on the PP or not. It's very hard to produce 30+ points from the bottom-six without PP time.

Exactly, last year 35 points is good for 6th among forwards on the team.

7th to 9th forwards are in the 25-30 pts range.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's possible, I suppose, but Hudon played very little C in the AHL. I don't see that even being a consideration unless there are some injuries to the C line.

Thanks groove. Makes sense, they'll want to use him where he'll be most comfortable or where he's been used the most in the AHL.

It only took one instra-squad game where Hudon did well with Plekanec and Lajoie on 91.9 FM is already talking about a "bromance". :laugh:

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
He always has his head up looking to make a play and he has one heck of a wrister....looking forward to Charles becoming a regular for the Habs.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Exactly. Excluding the PP Drouin had 27 points last year. So if he doesn't play on the PP last year he's not breaking the 40 points barrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad