Player Discussion Charles Hudon Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Exactly. Excluding the PP Drouin had 27 points last year. So if he doesn't play on the PP last year he's not breaking the 40 points barrier.

It'd be a waste not to have Hudon on the PP. Assuming you stack that 1st unit with Galchenyuk and Drouin, he's the only other forward on the team that can dictate the pace down low.

I'd have him on the 3rd line with Plekanec and on the 2nd PP wave. I'd expect 30+ points in that scenario.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I've been hearing a lot of fans on talk shows bring up Hudon's abilities as a centerman and some talk show hosts entertaining the notion.

Is that plausible that he could fill the role or is he strictly a winger at this point?

I think he could fill in for some shifts but should be at LW.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
The 2017 NHL is not the same as it was back then, but Lucky Luke is certainly an example that skill and smarts can cover for a lack of mobility.

Lucky Luke was one of a kind and paradoxally he will be quote as an example of slow but skilled scorer. I would take Lucky Luke anytime in 2017 or in 2047, even if he shoot less often because of faster hockey era, every time he is alone with a goalie he scores, or stats says he is one of the very best in NHL for that: winger who scores. His scoring sheet over the years is very impressive.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I think he could fill in for some shifts but should be at LW.

In his best scenario he takes Pleks place in #3 C (so MB can trade Pleks to save more money),
#2 best scenario he is a #3 line winger,
#3 best scenario he is a #4 line winger or center (could he beat Mitchell #4C ?)

What would be the projected #4 line?
Center Mitchell, winger Byron and Martinsen or Holland ? Who else compete for #4 line? McCaron, Reway, Carr ?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
In his best scenario he takes Pleks place in #3 C (so MB can trade Pleks to save more money),
#3 best scenario he is a #4 line winger or center (could he beat Mitchell #4C ?)

Center Mitchell, winger Byron and Martinsen or Holland ? Who else compete for #4 line? McCaron, Reway, Carr ?

there's no way he can replace Pleks, he's almost always been at LW.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

There are plenty of players who can handle bottom 6 centre. There's really no need to play him at a position he's less comfortable at. One of Drouin and Galchenyuk will be centre, Pleks likely is top 6 also, especially if he resurrects his game. That puts Danault at 3C. Personally, I'd like to see DLR play 4C before most of those other names.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
Ever since he made it to the AHL he's never been a point a game player
You could say he kind of came close once in an injury shortened season
Ok, I'll give you that
However, everything about this guy screams tweener!
Now don't get me wrong, I root for the crest on the front not the name on the back
By default this means I want each and every prospect to make it, I want the Habs to have a stable full of top end prospects
There's no reason to root against them, I hope that I'm proven wrong but I just don't see it with Hudon

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
How does that make him not a French Canadian exactly?

As someone wrote in my defense, I never said he was not French, he was born and raised in Hearst and later Orleans in Ontario both very Franco areas. The original post I corrected said that he was from Quebec which he is not, nothing more or less.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
There are plenty of players who can handle bottom 6 centre. There's really no need to play him at a position he's less comfortable at. One of Drouin and Galchenyuk will be centre, Pleks likely is top 6 also, especially if he resurrects his game. That puts Danault at 3C. Personally, I'd like to see DLR play 4C before most of those other names.

I forgot DLR. I say DLR has to do more than what he did last 2 years. For the short term Mitchell is better but he clearly isn't perfect neither he can do a real difference in the game when december tru march comes (the tough period of the season).
Long term DLR is a good one if he upgrade his game.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
Hudon has always been so good at cutting plays and in takeaways.
It's one of his strengths that we rarely hear about it.

He has so many tools. Will never be a speedster but he is agile on his skates and his level of anticipation is off the chart.

keep on Charly!

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Ok, I'll give you that
Now don't get me wrong, I root for the crest on the front not the name on the back
By default this means I want each and every prospect to make it, I want the Habs to have a stable full of top end prospects
There's no reason to root against them, I hope that I'm proven wrong but I just don't see it with Hudon

To be fair he's played for atrociously coached and offensively inept teams in the AHL. I believe his goals per game ratios have been near the top of the league for a couple of seasons.

Jul 6, 2016
I forgot DLR. I say DLR has to do more than what he did last 2 years. For the short term Mitchell is better but he clearly isn't perfect neither he can do a real difference in the game when december tru march comes (the tough period of the season).
Long term DLR is a good one if he upgrade his game.

"Passion" is the word. That guy doesn't seem to have a pulse.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
think i heard that he was THE top gpg guy.

Being the top goal per game guy depends on how you measure it. Hudon has been in the 99th percentile for AHL forwards at goal scoring rates for the past two seasons though. Its completely fair to point out that he's been one of that league's most dangerous snipers.

Which is why its wierd you still see people herethink of him more as a playmaker. Anyone who has tracked him recently knows that while he's good as a playmaker he's even better as a goal scorer.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Ok, I'll give you that

As a 20 year old rookie, in the start of the season Hudon was among the top point producers in the entire AHL. He was neck and neck all season long as the top rookie scorer as there was no way he was going to keep up that pace. He's easily been our best prospect in the AHL over his 3 year span, and he's been among the best players in the AHL. Last season he was among the league leaders in goals per game with players that appear in at least 40 games. Only the newly acquired Frose, teammate Chris Terry, and Pontus Aberg had a higher goals per game in the AHL.

Aberg - .55 gpg
Terry - .52
Frose - .5
Hudon - .48

Which is why its wierd you still see people herethink of him more as a playmaker. Anyone who has tracked him recently knows that while he's good as a playmaker he's even better as a goal scorer.

He can do it all, pass, shoot, deke. The last 2 years he's really started shooting more, has done a great job improving his shot it's very accurate.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
You can just pencil him into this year's lineup now. No way he gets put on waivers and sent to the AHL

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
There’s no question Hudon will make the team. I see Hudon getting insulated by Plekanec and Lehkonen.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Hudon is this year's version of Lehkonen. I'm liking this youth surge and these young draft picks slowly, slowly start making the team.

What these kids have in common is they weren't rushed. They took separate paths, but both had time to marinate on the pro level before making their way to the Habs.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Just can't believe Bergevin left Hudon unprotected for LV.......

Who cares, now? It's over and done with. VGK were dumb enough to select Emelin and retain part of his salary in a trade.

Habs need to take advantage of the fact he was ignored by Vegas and make sure this kid is a Hab and nothing else. That's what matters now.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
ThereÂ’s no question Hudon will make the team. I see Hudon getting insulated by Plekanec and Lehkonen.

You mean Hudon and Lehkonen insulating Plek offensively ;)

Hudon is far from a defensive liability.

The only thing that kept him off a NHL spot before was how his speed was considered a liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad