Chara Sucker Punches Tavares in the scrum

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
That guy is a big greasy ogre! He even wears a C over Bergeron. :laugh:
Yep he is. And there is only one left in NHL. But you can see he is closing in on the end. He is interfering every shift and refs are passing on those calls in playoffs like normal. But next season we will be back to normal on reffing and he will be taking a lot of interference penalties.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
So when is his meeting with DOPS?

I am not saying it warrants that, it is just a bad look, and not a clean play to make.

But old time hockey was full of scrums, and in general it happens.

Mar 26, 2010
Does not matter anymore. Its over.

Toronto are the losers every year. Nothing will change.

Reactions: AreBe

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
I am not saying it warrants that, it is just a bad look, and not a clean play to make.

A sucker punch and cross check to the face is old time hockey when Bruins do it.

5 game suspension and selfish when a leaf does it.

There is something the f*** wrong here.

Reactions: DanM and Kurtz

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
He suckered Kadri too so what? He never hit either guy hard enough to do damage. They were his little p*ssy shots at 10% power. Enough so guys felt it and he got his message across.

He doesn't have quick swing ability. The guy is a big ogre! That's not 10% power (what instrument did you measure that with?).

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He doesn't have quick swing ability. The guy is a big ogre! That's not 10% power (what instrument did you measure that with?).
Hockey has always been a game where the biggest baddest man on the ice does what he wants. And no one can do nothing about it so long as there is fighting in game. And everyone on the ice is keenly aware where Chara is. He only tried a couple times but he almost caught Marner once but Marner saw him very last second or it was all over for Marner.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
He suckered Kadri too so what? He never hit either guy hard enough to do damage. They were his little p*ssy shots at 10% power. Enough so guys felt it and he got his message across.

This makes no sense. Yes, he didn't wind up and rip a haymaker, but his punch was obviously strong enough to knock unsuspecting Tavares to the ice - and JT doesn't dive.

Think about the outrage that would rumble through these boards if Kadri sucker punched Bergeron like that. There's no way Kadri would elude a massive suspension.

So why the double-standard here? Because it's Chara, and he's old, and he used to be very good?

Mar 26, 2010
I do. Who cares is how you will keep losing! I don't plan on watching low IQ animals getting to the top of the mountain like that.:laugh:
Neither do I, but we can not win man. Nothing will be done. Frustrating for sure.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Jacobs is the chm of the board of the NHL. He is Bettman's boss. He is the guy Bettman calls to get things approved and done. Bettman wants to change a rule he calls Jacobs. Bettman wants a new team he calls Jacobs. Bettman wants a new CAP he calls Jacobs. Bettman wants to change TV deal he calls Jacob. Jacobs then lobbies all the poor teams and the break even ones and gets something done with $$$ and calls back Gary and tells him what he can and can't do. There is so much conflict it is a joke.

These guys have a pack that control the NHL. The Leafs Habs (33%) plus Rangers are 50% of NHL cash flow and are funding this joke of a league. Yet the are getting kniffed in the back behind the scenes all over the place. At some point those teams will make a change and stop the funding mechanism and Jacobs will get squashed.

Reactions: Kurtz

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I want to see that moment when he fails mightily due to a failing aging body. Maybe even one big hit he has to leave the game after. There's something poignant about witnessing the fragility of even the mightiest warrior.

If Chara was on the Leafs ( and Gardner on the Bruins) the Leafs would have won the series in 5.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Jacobs is the chm of the board of the NHL. He is Bettman's boss. He is the guy Bettman calls to get things approved and done. Bettman wants to change a rule he calls Jacobs. Bettman wants a new team he calls Jacobs. Bettman wants a new CAP he calls Jacobs. Bettman wants to change TV deal he calls Jacob. Jacobs then lobbies all the poor teams and the break even ones and gets something done with $$$ and calls back Gary and tells him what he can and can't do. There is so much conflict it is a joke.

These guys have a pack that control the NHL. The Leafs Habs (33%) plus Rangers are 50% of NHL cash flow and are funding this joke of a league. Yet the are getting kniffed in the back behind the scenes all over the place. At some point those teams will make a change and stop the funding mechanism and Jacobs will get squashed.
It's also reported how Jacobs is the reason Quebec City does not have an NHL team and how he prefers other cities like Houston instead of them.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It's also reported how Jacobs is the reason Quebec City does not have an NHL team and how he prefers other cities like Houston instead of them.
Nothing that guy does surprises me. He is 100% totally in it for the money. His money. More home gates he gets the more he makes. I am really surprised he finds guys to play for him. It must be Neely who insulates team and keeps the culture.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005

I agree that things like this happen in scrums. The problem is, this wasn't Tavares and Chara in a scrum. I don't know if the video doesn't show it, but Tavares is actually scrumming with Bergeron (after Marchand starts the bullshit, as usual, and the linesman pulls him away). Chara, who was totally uninvolved in the scrum, skates up out of nowhere, sucker punches Tavares in the face, and then skates away.

Reactions: DanM and Kurtz

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
If Chara was on the Leafs ( and Gardner on the Bruins) the Leafs would have won the series in 5.
If Chara was on the Leafs, we'd hate him. Because the refs would call the horrible interference and grabbing he does, and we'd be shorthanded all the f***ing time.

Chara can ONLY be effective in Boston at this point in his career. On even an average team, he'd be a penalty-laden liability.

BlueStorm

Aug 14, 2010
Halifax

I agree but the Leafs won't do anything about it. It's a business. If the Leafs make money and only get one round in the playoffs they don't care. Even if they did care what is their option? Jacobs has set up the majority of have not US teams to receive their welfare payments and they will continue to vote the way he says.

The only option is to form their own league without a salary cap. The TV deal in Canada pays $5 billion over 10 years, the NBC deal pays $2 billion. So the $5 billion gets divided among all teams sending the majority of Canadian TV money to the US.

upload_2019-4-24_17-58-42.png

Offer to start up the original 6 again with no salary cap and sue for the NHL name rights. Even if you don't get the brand it would take long to create your own. How long would it take Crosby the sign a $15 million deal in Montreal? If they threatened to walk and form their own rich elite league I think the revenue sharing and some semblance of a fair agreement would be worked out.

The way things are going the few big boys at the top of the list will be sending out the welfare cheques, especially that $5 billion Canadian Tv deal.

The reality is hidden from the fans like the WWF did to all their little Hulkamaniacs on cable TV. It's like the Harlem Globe Trotters. The Washington Generals will always lose. 26 years without the cup in Canada.

Reactions: AreBe

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If Chara was on the Leafs, we'd hate him. Because the refs would call the horrible interference and grabbing he does, and we'd be shorthanded all the ****ing time.

Chara can ONLY be effective in Boston at this point in his career. On even an average team, he'd be a penalty-laden liability.
Be honest you'd love him because we'd win. He intimidates people on the ice. Ask any player and they will tell you they are always aware of where he is on ice. Have you ever played against a 6ft9 beast? I mean it is downright scary.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
What happens if Chara gets a 5 min major and Leafs score 4 goals in the third like SJ last night in game 7.

A Boston 2-1 game becomes a 5-2 Leafs lead with 15 min left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad