Chara crosscheck to Gallagher’s neck (Update: fined $5k)

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Not to the face/neck it doesn't.

Before you go down that route, being taller isn't an excuse. See high sticking penalties and being in control of your stick.

But this is a cross check, and both players in the video attempted a cross check. Rulebook doesn't specify that neck is more punishable than stomach when it comes to cross checking.

If your argument is that Chara should have gotten a 2 min high sticking, then I can agree...or they should have both went for their crosschecks.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
They won't suspend him and use the excuse "he has never been suspended before, so he won't be suspended". I'm not kidding, that happened before. I think it was on Pacioretty. That's the most illogical bs excuse ever. It's an infinite cycle so they never have to suspend him. The guy has been dirty his whole career and the NHL never took the time to suspend him.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Amazing how the two evil empires are joining forces on this one. Don't one of you have spring tee times to make, and the other to prepare for another first round exit (if you even make it?)
More like two homeless people shaking their fist at you because you're calmly strolling by in a nice suit and wearing a Rolex, with a big smile on your face, really.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Guaranteed Hall of Famer, more than 1500 games played, captained a team to the Stanley Cup. :D
Thing is, no is going to take that away from him. But in the same vain as guys like Messier and Bobby Clarke, who are also Hall of Fame Stanley Cup winning captains, we also can’t take away the fact that a part of their arsenal was/is being dirty players.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
They literally both made the same attempt to cross check each other. One is just taller and more successful.

If cross checks disgust you, then you should stop watching hockey because they happen about 78 times a game.
You blind? Gallagher shoved Chara with his stick. Chara used 10 times the force. And if you're taller than the guy you're gonna cross check you better use your fornicating brain before and not cross check against the head area.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I feel like it is not a good thing for someone to crosscheck a guy in the neck.

Seems a bit greasy if you ask me.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
You blind? Gallagher shoved Chara with his stick. Chara used 10 times the force. And if you're taller than the guy you're gonna cross check you better use your fornicating brain before and not cross check against the head area.

Maybe because Chara is 10 times stronger. Gallagher was trying to get under Z's skin all night, maybe he will rethink that strategy next time.

It's a 2 minute penalty and it was called..

Reactions: BruinLVGA

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Thing is, no is going to take that away from him. But in the same vain as guys like Messier and Bobby Clarke, who are also Hall of Fame Stanley Cup winning captains, we also can’t take away the fact that a part of their arsenal was/is being dirty players.
Matter of opinion (in regards to Chara). But in any case... So what?

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Chara could drive onto the ice on an ice resurfacer fully loaded with mustard gas, chemical weapons, biochemical weapons, nuclear weapons and viking axes, and launch everything at once directly at someone's neck, and he still wouldn't get suspended even a game.

There's always some lame ass excuse with this guy. "It's not his fault he's so tall" (like being Nathan Gerbe short would give anyone a free pass to crosscheck someone in the balls). "He's never been suspended before" (everyone's never been suspended at one point in their careers), et cetera, et cetera.

I don't know what it is with Chara that makes people run to his defense faster than they would for friends and family.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Par for the course with Chara. Nothing will happen OR even get looked at.
The NHL was better when we appreciated toughness and defending oneself.

This and the Marchand-Petry scrum are good entertainment.

It's Bruins vs Habs. We should be seeing this. The officials handled it well.

MetM

Nov 29, 2009
I'm no fan of the Habs, and I love Chara, but just seemed totally unnecessary and pretty hard to dispute that he's aiming for that general area.

Does Gallagher do a little flourish for the ref? Right after contact, he throws his head sideways to the left. Anyway, I don't really blame him if he did.

This.

He hits the collarbone area and it goes up to the neck (but not a direct brute force).
Stop calling it a "crosscheck to the face" guys, it's not.
Gallagher adds a little after (check the slowmo without bias) and no one can blame him for it, fair game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad