Euro Hockey Tour: Channel One Cup in Russia (SOCHI) • Dec. 19-22 [CZE/FIN/RUS/SWE]

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
Russia can not put it in, seems like there is some frustraition amongst their players aswell. Czech Republic begins to take over.. Salak has been outstanding.

Hemsky001

May 17, 2012
The lack of finish stays annoying though.

You're absolutely right but we should be satisfied with our defense work. 2 goals in three games against Finland, Sweden and Russia are very promising, no? :handclap:

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Hopefully Nikulin, Birykov and Medvedev played their last National Team games.

I can dream, right?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Defense is the biggest weakness, no doubt, but there is also something wrong with the attack when the only goal is on a penalty shot. The forwards generated little or nothing for the entire tournament. Hopefully, the fact that few of these guys will make the Olympic roster will not portend looming disaster in Sochi.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Kovalchuk and Radulov tried dangling through the entire offense all the time again. It looked like early 2000s returned.
I think Bill's ultra-defensive strategy this Cup can be explained with the Olympic top 6 spots taken already with the NHL elite guys, Kovy and Radulov. Having Kulemin, Anisimov, Tarasenko and possibly even Nichushkin makes only shutdown lines available.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
sweden is a punching bag. take away sweden next year from this tournaments and add switzerland instead.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
What's this about the tournament organisers not handing over the trophy to the Czechs? Anyone know if this is true or not? Apparently they gave it to the team in the cabin and not out on the ice...

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
People can rag on Russia's defense all they like. It's the offense that isn't working.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Hopefully Nikulin, Birykov and Medvedev played their last National Team games.

I can dream, right?

Please provide proof to any bad play by Nikulin. Otherwise you are just considered an irrational hater.

Yes, Medvedev has had brain farts this season and one of them in this game. I think the main reason he's a OD being used as a DD on pairings with I-wanna-attack guys like Heshka or Chudinov. Again, if you don't want him on the team, name players you consider to be better. Good luck with that.

Why aren't Kiselevich and Zubarev on your list who were the real headache?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
People can rag on Russia's defense all they like. It's the offense that isn't working.

This. After this EHT performace Bill is in for a very long 2 weeks. I seriously don't know who hasn't blown his chances on this team outside Radulov and Kovy(sigh, by the name, not by his play).

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada

Bingo. There was one bad defensive breakdown that costed them. The 1st goal was Chudinov's error. Not going to shoot Chudinov because he made 1 error the whole game while the forwards made multiple errors all game which less dramatically/noticeably costed them the entire game.

Forwards seemed to be off their game once they were flustered/frustrated by Salak. Kovy and Rads trying to do to much on their own.

Hopefully big wake up call to Bill. Get those forwards in line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad