GDT: WCQF GM05 | Vancouver Canucks vs. Nashville Predators | Tue. Apr 30th | 7:00PM PST | SNP/CBC | Hey, hey, I wanna be a Brock Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I don't think they should overthink the goalie situation. Assuming each of Silovs and DeSmith are healthy, just stick with the winning goalie. Neither goalie is way better or worse than the other, so go with the hot goalie. The more difficult decision would be if, for example, Silovs starts tonight and has a great game but the Canucks lose, and DeSmith is health for game six. But in the context of game 5, I think its an easy decision.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Yeah so it's nice we did the whole "we have a ton better talent than you and can win a game that we got owned in until the last few minutes and OT" but TBH most people here were pretty pissed off before the comeback. And rightfully so.

But Tocchet has to make adjustments again. Drop another forward down to cover the breakout, save Quinn from a beating, and we might even get rush chances!

They're changing the angle a bit better in their own zone, but I would like to see more cycling of the slot guy and/or the wingers pulling the defence either into the corner or behind the net. That should disrupt the Nashville collapsing shot blockade.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Yeah so it's nice we did the whole "we have a ton better talent than you and can win a game that we got owned in until the last few minutes and OT" but TBH most people here were pretty pissed off before the comeback. And rightfully so.

But Tocchet has to make adjustments again. Drop another forward down to cover the breakout, save Quinn from a beating, and we might even get rush chances!

They're changing the angle a bit better in their own zone, but I would like to see more cycling of the slot guy and/or the wingers pulling the defence either into the corner. That should disrupt the Nashville collapsing shot blockade.
We saw the offensive zone adjustment a little last game, especially at the end where we scored two. Pull the puck and defenders into the corners and behind the net and bring it down low instead of just taking hail mary shots from the point. Also worked twice when Miller comes down hill and has that shot threat and either snipes it or passes it deep to break the bus

Also the Zadorov net front adjustment was genius. I hope we try it on PP1 more

Reactions: Flik and mossey3535

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Don't tease me like that

giphy.gif

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
We saw the offensive zone adjustment a little last game, especially at the end where we scored two. Pull the puck and defenders into the corners and behind the net and bring it down low instead of just taking hail mary shots from the point. Also worked twice when Miller comes down hill and has that shot threat and either snipes it or passes it deep to break the bus

Also the Zadorov net front adjustment was genius. I hope we try it on PP1 more
PP has looked a bit better lately despite all the bitching, but the Zadorov thing is the kind of big shakeup that might wake them up completely.

Also the Miller thing is again when they have speed coming in which is tied to the lack of puck support on the breakout since they are hunting Quinn. If two guys are hitting him, somebody is uncovered.

Reactions: Ozone and TruKnyte

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

They're changing the angle a bit better in their own zone, but I would like to see more cycling of the slot guy and/or the wingers pulling the defence either into the corner or behind the net. That should disrupt the Nashville collapsing shot blockade.

My big concern from game four that I hope Tocchet has learned from is to make those needed adjustments faster. We waited until literally the last few minutes before attempting anything different and it contributed to us stealing a game we had no business winning.

Not overly thrilled we're sticking with the same lines considering how lackluster Pettersson been but we'll see.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Oh no no no no. We absolutely do not want rush chances. The Canucks are not a rush team (they were near dead last in creating chances off the rush in the regular season). That just plays into exactly how Nashville wants to play: high-pace back-and-forth, with lots of rush chances. I literally thought to myself when I saw the Ian Cole rush chance, "oh no", because I knew a missed opportunity there means a rush chance the other way. And it was, and it ended up behind Silovs.

The biggest issue in G4 was, for me, the first time they allowed Nashville to dictate the style of play. They fed into the rush. They cannot do that. It has to be grindy, lots of dump-outs/ins, and creating on the forecheck.

I agree, in the OZ, the Canucks should look to get the puck behind goal line more, to pull the Preds in and hopefully pull them out of blocking position. But again, that means they need to hold the puck in the OZ and not trade rush chances.

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Remember when Alain Vigneault never seemed to adjust much (if any) during a playoff series?

Reactions: mossey3535

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Remember when Alain Vigneault never seemed to adjust much (if any) during a playoff series?

That's what Rick Bowness is doing right now, he's pretty much doing the AV blueprint.
Strong goalie play, stellar defence and puck possession on the forwards.

Unfortunately, Hellebuyck has been bad, the defense is a mess and the forwards can't score.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

I also think an element of this was that O'Reilly is a f***ing amazing matchup center. Having last change really got them to put in favorable matchups against the Canucks top guys. They don't have that luxury in Vancouver.

Reactions: MS and mossey3535

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
No shit. Anyone talking crap about Bo is just a crap fan and a reason players don't want to play for the team. The guy did nothing but bleed blue and green, and take on an impossible captaincy while that clown JB surrounded him rubbish and wasted almost a decade of his career. Not like Miller, Hughes, or Demko did anything either until JR and PA fixed the team. Maybe they should run around making funny names up and rip into Hughes while they're at it.

People shitting on Bo don't know hockey ... like at all. Or they're just insecure as f*&k and blame others for their problems.
Are you and Markus Naslund 19 like a duo?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

For the longest time I know of the meme but not the origin. First time I watched that cartoon clip, I was shocked by just how campy and ridiculous it was, and of course the over the top voice acting did not help.

So Silov is in the net? Pressure is on I guess.

I'm mentally prepare for a loss, hopefully the orka boyz will prove me wrong.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I understand Pod going down if he wont play but I honestly think we’re missing out on seeing him hit a playoff gear
I'm not sure we've seen him reach regular season gear tbh. I'm not at all shocked he hasn't played and they want him in the AHL.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I also think an element of this was that O'Reilly is a f***ing amazing matchup center. Having last change really got them to put in favorable matchups against the Canucks top guys. They don't have that luxury in Vancouver.
He'll get a steady diet of one of our greatest Latvians, Teddy Blueger, tonight.

• Haha
Reactions: Zippgunn and WTG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad