Speculation: Changes In Calgary: The Search For a New GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Burke's philosophy on stats are making headlines again:

http://m.tsn.ca/home/article?url=ht....xml&itemId=445910&pageName=Home&feedId=82010

Burke started to acknowledge, "Statistics have value; ignore at your peril," he said, before getting back on familiar ground, "But it's an eyeballs business." It's understandable when anyone has been in the business for so long that they aren't inclined to jump in at new methods of analysis, but Steven Burtch had a good take on the tendency to rely on eyeballs.

It's been said more than a few times, that use of analytics doesn't guarantee anything, which is an odd standard to apply since not using analytics and sticking with eyeballs, hunches and gut instinct most certainly doesn't come with any guarantees of success either.

The funny thing about using analytics is that, somehow -- likely through the famous scene with the scouts around the table in the movie Moneyball -- there persists the idea that anyone wants to use analytics without actually watching players play.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
I see in this morning's Calgary Herald that McPhee is now rumored to be a candidate for the job. I don't think I've seen his name yet. I guess the reasoning is that his contract is expiring at the end of the season.

Thoughts?

(Note: In the story below mention of McPhee is further down the page)

Link: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...ke+sees+untouchable+assets/9406191/story.html

I'd still rather have Mike Futa as GM. Smart guy, with great drafting intuition. It would be kind of pointless to hire him if Burke is going to wait until a week before the draft to hire someone, though. But he's an unproven GM who could learn from Burke while imposing his big-bodied style that the Kings cherish (and a certain truculent minded man wouldn't mind coveting). Burke could mold him into a half-decent trader, and maybe down the road Conroy can take his reigns. That is my absolute ideal outcome.

Sorry if someone's done this, I went back 4 pages and couldn't find one

Who would you hire?

I like Benning and Conroy. (although rather keep Burke:cry: :shakehead :()

SORRY ABOUT TITLE, DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPEND :laugh: :laugh:

Wow Stewie, did you fix the threads!?

Props dude!

Didn't Burke say that he was waiting for the offseason to pick a GM because he's allowed to speak to other GMs? Not sure why he doesn't talk to LeFontaine. That guy turned the Sabres around fairly well.

Any news? Who are the rumored leading candidates now?

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Any news? Who are the rumored leading candidates now?

They had a list of "potential" guys listed on TSN last game. All I remember was one of them is from the Yotes.

I don't think Burkie is looking too hard right now. When the the Flames season is officially done do I think he shifts his focus to finding a new GM.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Futa (Kings), Loiselle (Leafs), Poulin (Leafs) and Treliving (Coyotes) were the four guys Bob McKenzie listed as the top candidates.

But still, nothing is expected to get done until after the draft when teams give permission to the Flames to talk to these guys.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So let's change the mood and make it more about possible candidates.

Benning, Jim
Assistant General Manager from the Boston Bruins

Fenton, Paul
Assistant General Manager from the Nashville Predators

Futa, Michael
Co-Director of Amateur Scouting for the Los Angeles Kings

Hextall, Ron
Assistant General Manager and Director Hockey Operations for the Philadelphia Flyers

Kisio, Kelly
President of Hockey Operations for the Calgary Hitmen

Loiselle, Claude
Assistant General Manager for the Toronto Maple Leafs

Poulin, Dave
Vice President of Hockey Operations for the Toronto Maple Leafs

Treliving, Brad
Vice President of Hockey Operations & Assistant General Manager for the Phoenix Coyotes

and add another name to the list, apparently it's rumored in Vancouver that Burke is looking at Laurence Gillman.

Gillman, Laurence
VP of Hockey Operations & Assistant GM from the Vancouver Canucks

DOn't know how I forgot him :laugh:

Nieuwendyk, Joe
Unemployed - Former General Manager of the Dallas Stars

Some potential candidates named earlier in the thread

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Mike Futa was my guy back when Feaster got fired, still my guy now

You just can't argue with his draft record with the Kings

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Futa or Benning. I think Conroy should be AGM but most GM's know their right hand man. And Hartley needs to be back. Futa is perfect because Burke coud teach him trade and handle some of that then Futa and Button are great drafters. And Conroy's development then Hartley's system of hardwork would mean a great re-build and also mean that Edmonton can suck it.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Futa or Benning. I think Conroy should be AGM but most GM's know their right hand man. And Hartley needs to be back. Futa is perfect because Burke coud teach him trade and handle some of that then Futa and Button are great drafters. And Conroy's development then Hartley's system of hardwork would mean a great re-build and also mean that Edmonton can suck it.
Good post, then that came out of nowhere and made it great :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Bob Nicholson has announced he is stepping down as President and CEO of Hockey Canada as of June 1st.

Could he be a potential GM Candidate?

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I wonder if Dave Nonis gets fired which is a possibilty, will he be our GM next year? Burke loves him and the always end up together.

Fun fact, I once went drinking with Brian Burke and Dave Nonis when they were with the Leafs. Photographer is just the best job ever.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
I wonder if Dave Nonis gets fired which is a possibilty, will he be our GM next year? Burke loves him and the always end up together.

Fun fact, I once went drinking with Brian Burke and Dave Nonis when they were with the Leafs. Photographer is just the best job ever.

Thought you were 14? :rolleyes:

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Sorry, realized there was a typo on my Role Call. I'm 41, I work at the the Toronto Star, I was assigned to Vancouver to shoot theLeafs practice in 2012. I went with a writer and was supposed to go fishing with Burke, Nonis, Damien Cox but we got fogged in. So we went to an Irish pub right named Dolin's i believe. Not 100% though. On the streets everyone recognized Burke. In the pub he texted Yzerman to pay attention. It was hilarious watching Stevie Y look around on TV. Burke said a few things but it was off the record and confidential. Being a photographer takes you to wild places. Nonis was really quiet and Burke was loud and strong about his opinions and didn't care if it was positive or negative. One ofthe best nights of my life.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I wouldn't rule it out, but I heard today that he was possibly stepping down to take a job with the IIHF.
He already has a job with the IIHF though, he is their Vice President and they get voted in for 4 or 5 year terms, the next vote isn't slated until 2016.

So it doesn't make any sense unless Rene Fasel is stepping down as President and it's being handed to Nicholson, both of which I doubt will happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad